PDA

View Full Version : My AR Build (feedback welcome)

bcammons
9 March 2012, 16:56
This "build" was over the course of time with components assembled or purchased at different times.
It started life as a self assembled Spikes lower and a complete upper from Spikes (Midlength LE) and progressed into what you see today.

Lower Specs:
Spikes Stripped lower
6 position RE
Vltor Modstock
ST-T2 buffer
ASAP sling plate
MOE grip
Daniel Defense LPK with Magpul trigger guard

Upper Specs:
Spikes Tactical mid length 1-7, 16" barrel, Pinned FSB with Armalite FSP
Vltor VC-1 FH
9" Troy Ind. Extreme Alpha Series handguard
Vltor MUR receiver with FA
Spikes Tactical M16 BCG (Phosphated)
Forged charging handle
R-1 Micro (Painted black)
ADM 2 piece mount, absolute co-witnessed
Chopped carry handle rear sight.

I got the LPK from PSA when I built the lower in 2010 and really like the trigger pull. It is crisp and break clean with no creep.
I got the MUR and the TRX last month from Warsport Industries local here in NC for a good deal even with tax.
I have about 13-1500 rounds through the barrel and BCG with one fail to feed on a Wolf round. I have run Wolf FMJ and HP, XM193 from various manufacturers, UMC, Federal AR223 and Georgia arms soft point in the rifle with no problems (mostly before the upper swap. I have only got 60 rounds of Wolf (30 rounds) and XM193 (30 as well) since the upper swap but it ran fine with just rapid firing (not really a test of serious reliability but I think it will be great going forth as well). I have used PMags, USGI mags and Lancer AWM mags.
I know on other sites there was a lot of smack talked about Spikes products and I by no means am an expert or have run thousands of round through the barrel or with the BCG but everything I have from them is great. I believe they make a top notch product. I have taken the rifle before being free floated and from prone with the R-1 hit a 12x20 steel plate from 200 with 55gr xm193, and I would never claim to be a great shot.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af272/bcammons21/IMG_0447.jpg

brit
9 March 2012, 18:38
Looks like a good build. Personally, with a co-witnessed Micro, I would get sick of that rear sight really fast. Whats the point of throwing down 500 bucks on an RDS and then putting iron sights in the way?

bcammons
9 March 2012, 18:48
It is actually not bad. When you bring the rifle up the first few times it is a little awkward but it has become natural now. Plus, I got the red dot for a really really good price :)

Casull
9 March 2012, 19:00
Looks like a nice start! I think at this point a buttpad would tie it together. The co witness is purely a personal choice. I have a full co-witness right now, but I must say I'm starting to want a higher mount.

bcammons
9 March 2012, 19:18
I think if I do anything about the stock I would just replace it with an Imod, b5 or something with the storage tubes. I like the larger cheek weld. The absolute co-witness works well for me and the way I hold my rifle. Very comfortable.
Thanks for the kind words from both.

Stickman
10 March 2012, 11:52
If it works for you and your needs, that is what matters. I certainly don't see anything that screams of being a problem.

TehLlama
13 March 2012, 22:00
Add sling and flashlight- that looks great, and just push ammo through it. That's a solid base rifle.