PDA

View Full Version : torn between two rails and uppers

bomberman85
12 April 2008, 10:34
hey guys i am relatively new to guns altogether, and i just bought my first AR a few weeks ago. i have been doing alot of research on different parts to upgrade, but i cant decide on the fore-end i want for my carbine. either the vltor CASV-EL , or the Daniel defense omega. also, i have been debating over spending over $200 on a vltor MUR or just some generic one, like CMT Stag or similar.

Stickman
12 April 2008, 10:46
Regarding the rails, do you want a riser or not? What optic are you planning on using? They are both very good rails, but serve two different purposes.

With the upper, I will point out that I am not a big believer in slathering the angle of "increased accuracy" from a billet upper. The main point to me in a billet upper is in its reinforcements, which are something that the huge majority of people will never need. Secondly, they look great, and since looks are subjective, and don't put rounds on target I would consider it an option if I had the extra funds and wanted something different. If an upper is in spec, its in spec and the accuracy touting means nothing. If the upper isn't in spec, its not a fair compassion anyway as you are comparing something to a defective item.

BRD Jerm
12 April 2008, 10:47
i cant speak on the VLTOR,but the Omega is excellent.

lightweight(thought they had forgot to put it in the box)
free float
easy install
solid/strong

...seems to have a slimmer profile than most(although my experience with others is limited).

i love mine,and i wouldnt hesitate to get another.

bomberman85
12 April 2008, 21:23
Regarding the rails, do you want a riser or not? What optic are you planning on using? They are both very good rails, but serve two different purposes.

With the upper, I will point out that I am not a big believer in slathering the angle of "increased accuracy" from a billet upper. The main point to me in a billet upper is in its reinforcements, which are something that the huge majority of people will never need. Secondly, they look great, and since looks are subjective, and don't put rounds on target I would consider it an option if I had the extra funds and wanted something different. If an upper is in spec, its in spec and the accuracy touting means nothing. If the upper isn't in spec, its not a fair compassion anyway as you are comparing something to a defective item.

i am planning on either an aimpoint comp m2 or an eotech 512 i would like to co-witness the buis with the scope, i know the vltor rail sits higher and ther is a spot on the rear to put a buis. normally with a standard riser with an aimpoint you can co-witness in the middle of the scope but with the raised rail on the vltor i think i can get in in the bottom third, no big deal, plus i like the way the vltor looks.

Stickman
12 April 2008, 21:38
I believe that Vltor should have out their bilevel rail that will allow for a cowitness with an Eotech when forward mounted. The Aimpoint is an easy answer, and lower profile mounts are available all over the place.

Both rails are winners, so it isn't like you can make a bad decision.

bomberman85
12 April 2008, 23:43
I believe that Vltor should have out their bilevel rail that will allow for a cowitness with an Eotech when forward mounted. The Aimpoint is an easy answer, and lower profile mounts are available all over the place.

Both rails are winners, so it isn't like you can make a bad decision.

thanks!

John Hwang
13 April 2008, 22:56
Can't co-witness an Eotech with the VLTOR CASV-EL

urikagold
26 April 2008, 05:46
Completely new to the AR world, but I love this site. I will have lots and lots of questions in the future. I am planning on building an AR. First question what do you mean by co-witnessing?

TigerStripe
26 April 2008, 19:15
Completely new to the AR world, but I love this site. I will have lots and lots of questions in the future. I am planning on building an AR. First question what do you mean by co-witnessing?

Co-witnessing means that the bullet has the same point of impact whether you use the iron sights or the red dot. Also if you're using both iron sights and the red dot the point of impact is the same. Welcome to the disease!

TS

Tucson
13 May 2008, 14:40
Not sure if this needs further clarification but I'll add my point anyway...
Co-witness: With an optic mounted you can use your iron sights.

The issue with the CASV-EL and the EOTECH is that the CASV-EL has, as part of its design, a riser that raises the rail height by about 1/2 an inch. The impact of this is that you can not see your front iron sight when looking through the rear iron sight because your view is obstructed by the base of the EOTECH because it sits higher than it normally would. Without the riser you would be able line up your irons through the EOTECH glass.

The benefit of co-witness: If the optic fails you can fallback to your irons without the removal of your optic.

SuicideHz
16 May 2008, 14:43
I'd stay away from the Vltor. It's neat but has probably one useful purpose and I can't think of it right now.

Here's the Omega hidden under there somewhere:

http://www2.zoto.com/suicidehz/img/1024x768/c4370e4cf3572fa76fd3c3eab095095d.jpg