PDA

View Full Version : carry handle differences

Bac-Si
12 March 2012, 08:27
Is there a differnece between carry handles as far as the sight height? Is an M-4 handle different then an A-2? I know there are differences as far as numbering for battle zero, but what about height. Any problems with a A-2 handle on an M-4?

markm
12 March 2012, 11:45
Height is the same on both. Aftermarket handles from the bottom feeders may vary and not match up to in spec uppers.

Bac-Si
12 March 2012, 12:32
Thanks Mark, I thought so but wasn't sure. This is off a Sabre so quality is good.

markm
12 March 2012, 13:33
Yeah... a sabre should have an in spec carry handle. But sabre was weird.... the had pretty good guns, but they went with a commercial RE (buffer tube) on their carbines..

Still can't figure that one out.

Bac-Si
12 March 2012, 14:35
Had to be cost. The additional milling for a Mil-spec vs the commercial.

Edit...I don't see what difference other than diameter and buying the correct parts.

markm
13 March 2012, 07:51
The difference is monumental, and the price for a manufacturer to source them might be 10-15 bucks more. The mil version is 7000 series and roughly twice the strength... plus the improper thread height on the commercial version. Some dude on Barfcom broke his just by tightening the Castle nut... and he said he hadn't even torqued it down hard at all.

Bac-Si
13 March 2012, 11:38
Thanks for the education. I knew the basic differences, but never realized the strenght difference.

markm
13 March 2012, 12:13
It gets more complex than that.... bottom feeders will market an RE as milspec, but it may only have a mil spec diameter... the rest is commercial short cuttery.