PDA

View Full Version : Pillar Bedding Question

csmith
24 March 2012, 19:19
I realize this forum isn't geared to this, but hopefully someone can help. I've got a Remington 700 SPS. I've been looking into pillar and/or glass bedding it, however came across quite a few other resources that basically said the stock itself will work as a release agent so these methods wouldn't work very well. To the question, if I were to have my stock duracoated/cerakoted/hydro dipped, would the result leave me with a base that would accept bedding? If not, I believe looking into a different stock will be in order. Thanks for any help.

The-S
24 March 2012, 21:27
You're going to scratch up the inside of the stock to get the epoxy to stick in the first place, so if I were you I would bed your stock and then have it finished.

csmith
25 March 2012, 06:53
Finishing the stock isn't about the aestethics of it, it's about giving the bedding a foundation it will adhere to.

The-S
25 March 2012, 08:24
Totally miss read your post last night. My fault. What type of stock do you have? If its synthetic look online on how people bed hogue stocks. Its possible but a PITA. So if you refinish your stock you still will have to scratch that finish up to give the agent something to bite thus defeating what you were trying to accomplish.

markm
26 March 2012, 09:38
What type of stock do you have?

This! I wouldn't attempt to make the Hogue stock work if that's what you have. And if you have an HS stock with the aluminum block, you just need a skim bed, not a pillar bed.

csmith
26 March 2012, 18:26
It's the original stock from your run of the mill SPS (not SPS Varmint or SPS Tactical, just SPS) that all but screams "Made in China". I appreciate the information guys. I'll give it a try in due time with the knowledge that I'll probably have to purchase a different stock, just not keen on dropping $400+.

The-S
26 March 2012, 19:58
The new hogues with the full alum bedding actually work great!

csmith
27 March 2012, 17:21
I actually looked into Hogue today. Seem to be a decent price as compared to McMillans and a few others. Boyd's also jumped out as far as price goes. There are definately Ford vs. Chevy type loyalties when questions about stocks are asked, so it'll be a little while before I get one chosen. My second concern seems to be with the barrel. I learned today I have a "sporter" barrel, and the profile of the barrel apparently doesn't like full free floating. More material to learn, but more knowledge gained in the long run.