PDA

View Full Version : A Sight Availability Question

lamarbrog
25 March 2012, 21:23
Yesterday, I purchased my first Glock. It's a Model 19, the Compact 9mm. 15+1 capacity. This one is generation 3, and from what I understand was "new" about two years ago.

Today, I shot it for the first time. Now, I have shot Glock pistols a bit in the past, mainly just to try out other folks' pistols after they insist I do. I have shot them a handful of other times just to gain familiarity with a common pistol. I guess there's something different about it being your own, though. Let's just say "Glock Perfection" now has more significance to me than just a marketing phrase.

I shot faster and more accurately with this Glock 19 the first time out than I do with the Beretta 92FS that I've been shooting for three years. I really think it is the sights. The bracket rear and the dot front just really work for me. However, I hear the factory plastic sights are on the fragile side, and they are not night sights which I prefer.

Does anyone make a steel night sight for the Glock that retains the same configuration instead of going to a three or two dot system? I'd be okay with a three or two dot night sight system, if it had the bracket and dot during day use. I really don't want to go to a three dot system at all times, since I do attribute my better shooting to the sights.

Is there a product out there for me?

jhjfdf
26 March 2012, 00:36
Buy the Glock Tritium Night Sigths and paint the bracket rear on it, is that a option for you?
Or the original Glock phosphorescent sights?
https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTiImvJemnfz0uvvQj5bAGCZ10eIZUzs sbPpEUDO9tf1lX9dITIjA

A friend of mine uses the original Glock tritium front sight and a phosphorescent rear where he drilled some holes and glued some blue tritium containers(one cost ~15 Euro) in it.

lamarbrog
26 March 2012, 09:11
Buy the Glock Tritium Night Sigths and paint the bracket rear on it, is that a option for you?
Or the original Glock phosphorescent sights?
https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTiImvJemnfz0uvvQj5bAGCZ10eIZUzs sbPpEUDO9tf1lX9dITIjA

A friend of mine uses the original Glock tritium front sight and a phosphorescent rear where he drilled some holes and glued some blue tritium containers(one cost ~15 Euro) in it.

Painting the bracket on the rear, as long as I don't cover the tritium, actually sounds like a really good idea.

Those Glock phosphorescent sights don't appear to be tritium based. That's a no-go.

Maybe I need to just get a tritium front, and find a steel replacement for the rear with the bracket. I could get by with just an illuminated front.

Wondering Beard
26 March 2012, 10:34
It wouldn't surprise me that it's mostly the large white dot on the front sight that really helps.

You won't find what you're looking for in metal form anywhere but, if I'm right about your affinity for the front sight, there are plenty of options.

Go to Ameriglo here (http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/pistol-sights/glock/night-sights), they have plenty of variations you might like.

I think you might really like these (http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/pistol-sights/glock/night-sights/complete-sets/u-rap)

Aragorn
26 March 2012, 13:46
Maybe I need to just get a tritium front, and find a steel replacement for the rear with the bracket. I could get by with just an illuminated front.

Normally it's the front sight that takes a beating, not so much the rear. You could always just leave the bracket and just swap the front.

5pins
26 March 2012, 21:10
Normally it's the front sight that takes a beating, not so much the rear. You could always just leave the bracket and just swap the front.

That was my thought as well.

lamarbrog
26 March 2012, 21:23
So the rear sight is pretty secure? I'd not be opposed to changing only the front, so long as the rear sight is tough enough to stand up to abuse.

Wondering Beard
27 March 2012, 09:52
The rear sight is still made of the same plastic as the front.

The front sight in all guns gets more battered than the rear, at the very least simply because it's way out in front.

The Glock rear sight is more securely anchored than the front but that doesn't mean it'll handle the, rarer, beatings so much better than the front.

I'm not saying you absolutely must change everything (keep what you have for as long as you want and keeps working for you), only that you be aware that the sights on a Glock are truly a weak point.

Hatter
27 March 2012, 10:38
Ok... so I know this guy who knows a guy who's cousins with a girl who broke some guys Glock... Oh wait, that's a different story.

Everyone states that the sights on the Glock are a weak point. So who here has busted a Glock factory sight? Was it "normal" pistol use? Or did it get bashed hard enough to affect a steel sight?

I'm curious to know how widespread this is and if anyone has personally done it. If they have, would the impact causing the damage have damaged other sights. Is the Glock sight a weak point on the Glock or a general weak point that can have a premature failure when compared to other pistols?

Personally I'm in the same boat as the OP cause I love my Glock's rear bracket but would love a tritium set of sights.

Rodman24
27 March 2012, 12:59
So who here has busted a Glock factory sight? Was it "normal" pistol use? Or did it get bashed hard enough to affect a steel sight?

I broke the rear adjustable sight on my Gen2 19. I can't specifically say what caused the damage, I didn't notice it at the time of destruction. (kind of like the mystery bruise that shows up the morning after a wild night on the town). Of course Glock replaced on a visit to Smyrna.

Should you replace them? Depends on the abuse you're going to give the gun, and whether or not you need night sights.

I've added night sights to most of my Glocks, but that Gen2 19 still has the stock sights. My Gen4 26 still has the polymer sights, but that will likely change.

I'm currently evaluating the Trijicon HD night sights on my Gen4 22. Rear sight - I like the deep notch, lack of white rings around the tritium inserts, and lack of any other markings. Front sight - the bright orange ring around the tritium (coupled with the deep rear notch) provides fast target acquisition. I haven't been as pleased when bright sunlight is at my rear.

Are HDs worth $130? Are there better values out there? Probably is the answer to both questions. But I do not regret the purchase. Just not sure if I want them on the 26.
http://img.tapatalk.com/aefc98b7-1c1a-a422.jpg

Wondering Beard
27 March 2012, 13:34
So who here has busted a Glock factory sight? Was it "normal" pistol use? Or did it get bashed hard enough to affect a steel sight?

Front sight got shaved down sufficiently through multiple holster draws during one weekend class that I had to twist my wrist in order to get the sights centered. Never had any such problems with steel sights.

Right side of fixed rear sight got a small piece "hacked off" (not sure how else to describe it), I have no idea how or when exactly it happened. Again no such problem with steel sights, ever.

Muddyboots
27 March 2012, 17:08
I've popped 2 factory front sites of my Gen 3 G19. I replaced them with trueglows but didn't like the foptics so I ended up with Dawsons and I like them very VERY much!

I have a reputation for playing hard but being very easy on gear, yet I've managed to do it. The first one I lost in the gravel. A buddy with a zip lock full of Glock front sights helped me out. I later popped that one twice. We still aren't sure how I did it. In fairness to Glock, the front sight didn't actually break , it just popped off. I was able to pop it back on.

Muddyboots

lamarbrog
27 March 2012, 18:16
We rent Glock pistols at the range I work at, and have actually never broken a stock sight that I know of. The Glock 19 has a big chunk cleaved out of the side of it, but it doesn't affect the sight picture in a negative way. It's still on the pistol and still functional.

I'll probably replace the front with something from Ameriglo. I'm not exactly sure what yet. I'm leaning towards the red dot with the green tritium insert. Looks like it would really catch the eye. Then, I'd just leave the rear sight stock, at least for a while.

5pins
4 April 2012, 17:04
Now that I think about it Glock makes a steel rear sight that looks just like their stock plastic one.

lamarbrog
4 April 2012, 22:51
Now that I think about it Glock makes a steel rear sight that looks just like there stock plastic one.

Awesome. I will probably end up pairing this with an AmeriGlo ProGlo Orange/Green front sight. I appreciate your response on this. I was planning on keeping the stock plastic rear, but I'd definitely prefer steel if it is available. Thanks.