PDA

View Full Version : Late Gen3/Gen 4 Glock Issues?

lamarbrog
25 March 2012, 23:57
I put a couple boxes through my used Glock 19 Gen3 today. And while it functioned flawlessly, it was hardly an extensive test. I really like the pistol, but I am concerned about the issues I have heard about on some of the more recent Glocks.

The serial number prefix on this pistol is "PUS". Some research leads me to believe it was made around September of 2010. Is this Glock new enough to be a potential problem? How many rounds should I put through this pistol before considering it to be trouble-free?

With most firearms, I consider just 200-300 rounds sufficient to prove reliability. With the "problem Glocks" some issues seem to be popping up even after a couple thousand rounds. I just want to make sure I got a good one.

Thanks.

Victor9er
18 June 2012, 21:50
Not sure what if any issues you would have with a gen3, I hadn't heard of any problems with the threes. AFAIK is was just the early gen4's that were having issues, primarily with the recoil spring assembly. I did hear about an extractor issue as well, but both of those have been addressed by Glock by now.

There was some disscussion a while back here:
http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?2235-gen4-Glock-22

If in doubt I suppose you could just call up Glock and ask them, but I would venture to say if yours is a gen3 then you're good to go. If you had an earlier model gen4 then I'd say to check your parts numbers and see if you had the new parts or the old ones...

Hmac
19 June 2012, 05:14
On at least one other forum, there's a lot of obsessing about ejection issues with the later model Gen 3 and Gen 4s. Lot's of talk about MIMs and DIPs, extractors, ejectors, springs and Randy Lee.

I recently bought a later-model Gen 3 Glock 19. It puts an ejected casing on the bill of my hat every now and then. I got caught up in this classic bit of outraged internet frenzy over there and even bought a Lone Wolf extractor and associated parts before I came to my senses. I'm going to worry about if my particular gun actually malfunctions. In the meantime, I quit reading that thread over there and found my anxiety levels coming back toward baseline.

Eric
19 June 2012, 16:34
I've been following that issue as well. It was a bit of a concern for me, since my agency will be going over to Gen 4 models soon. I have a Gen 4 G19 that I recently picked up, with a test fire date of May 1st, so it's a fairly recent gun. It's been running fine. Hopefully the issues have been resolved, but time will tell.

Rodman24
19 June 2012, 16:56
My Gen4 lineup now consists of a 22, 17, 19 & 26. The 22 & 17 each have round counts beyond 1000 (I wasn't good at keeping up with the count). The 26 has 580 and the new 19 has 250. I don't deny that some have had issues, but I've yet to experience any.

lamarbrog
21 June 2012, 23:38
I'm at roughly 3500 rounds in on this pistol. It was okay at first, but after a while weak ammo started flying back between my eyes about 1/3 of the time.

I replaced the extractor with a Lone Wolf part, and reprofiled the ejector. It's good now. I would like to try a 30274 ejector at some point.