PDA

View Full Version : first build

Penner
8 April 2012, 23:19
Hey, I'm sure you guys get this question a lot, but I'm wanting to build my first AR, right now I have 600 for a Lower and upper... I was looking at the seekins lower, but I'm not sure on their quality, and as for an upper I'm up for suggestions.. I like the vltor mur.... but cannot fund them in stock anywhere... I want a nice build... One that will turn heads and take a beaten...

Casull
13 April 2012, 03:54
Seekins work fine but I personally think they're really ugly. I'd go for a MEGA or even the Vltor Lower if I wanted something special. There's also the Arfcom lower which is a copy of the Magpul billet lower we all love.

As for the Vltor upper, just wait, they come around. Get what you like and you'll be satisfied when it comes to quality products.

I will say most folks will say to just get a BCM or a Colt 6920 and learn, but there's very different mindsets behind what people need and or want in a first rifle depending on their lifestyle.

As for upper suggestions I'd say to look into Centurion Arms. Their barrels are actually really awesome and they give you the option of ordering them with a MUR receiver (not the monolithic rail one as far as I know) so for sure check them out.

Good luck and remember to look into training options.

Stryker medic
13 April 2012, 06:16
+1 on MEGA Arms Billet Lower.. And as for the Vltor MUR upper, try this website:

MUR with Bolt Assit:

http://vtsupply.com/vltor-mur-modular-upper-receiver-mur-1a-billet-ar15-ar-15.html

MUR no Forward Assist:

http://vtsupply.com/vltor-modular-upper-receiver-mur-1s-no-forward-assist.html

markm
13 April 2012, 08:45
The VLTOR upper is cool. It adds real value other than looks... Forged... triple heat treat, etc.

As far as the lower.. Billet makes no sense to me. Costs more and isn't as strong as a Forging. I guess people aren't breaking them.... but it's still not logical to me.

Casull
13 April 2012, 18:12
Billets to me are only for cool factor.+1 on them not being so incredibly special.

I will say the ambi controls featured on some models are nice for lefties, but a standard mil-spec lower may be configured accordingly when this functionality is preferred.

He says he wants it to turn heads. hah :P so cool factor + functionality all the way.

Stryker medic
13 April 2012, 18:48
As long as its a mil-spec lower, ambi controls will definitely work. And Yes on the cool factor for billet lowers.

markm
16 April 2012, 06:09
Billets to me are only for cool factor.+1 on them not being so incredibly special.

That's cool. I don't think they're problematic or anything... as long as a person makes an informed decision.

Penner
16 April 2012, 12:22
I received both the lower and upper in the mail Tuesday. I ordered spikes lpk and their buffer assembly. Took me a while to find them. Now I'm looking at barrels,

SuicideMyk
6 May 2012, 20:03
I bought the Seekins lower and Upper I think it's great... the Mag well makes changing mags with great ease and the winter trigger well gives you plenty of room when your wearing gloves, plus it's ambidextrous. The design and finish are very smooth made with 7075 T6 aerospace aluminum (very strong). I'm very happy with it... just saying