PDA

View Full Version : Preferred "Combat Glock" Configuration?

lamarbrog
10 April 2012, 22:26
I recently picked up a used Glock19 Gen3 for a bargain price. With a thousand rounds down range, and good performance in one informal IDPA competition, I am preparing to replace the trusty Beretta 92FS with some "Tactical Tupperware". After the test firing, I have found some modifications suited me well. I'll just briefly mention what I have done to this pistol, and what I plan on adding based on my experience with it so far.

What I primarily want to hear is what everyone else has tried and if there is any feedback on any of the parts I am using.

Currently am using...

-Glock19 Gen3
-Vickers/TangoDown Extended Magazine Catch

I have fairly short thumbs compared to most people. The extended magazine catch button really gives me that slight edge I need to release the magazine quickly and efficiently. The stock release is just a little too short, and I didn't want the OEM extended release because it is so long that I was worried I could have an accidental release of the magazine. The Vickers is the perfect length, and has nice rounded edges so it doesn't dig into the skin on longer range sessions.
-Vickers/TangoDown Extended Slide Stop

I didn't really have any problems with the stock slide stop when it came to releasing the slide, but I did find it a bit difficult and uncomfortable to engage it when trying to lock the slide to the rear. The Vickers replacement is very similar to what you find on the S&W M&P series. It is very easy to lock back the slide with it without having to modify my grip or strain excessively. Take note, however, that I did run into some initial problems... there was a rough edge on the interior of the stop from the stamping process. With the slide locked back, if you attempted to sling shot the slide the burr on the stop would occasionally (probably one in ten times) hold the stop up and prevent the slide from going into battery. A few minutes on a diamond grit sharpening stone, and finishing polish with a green Scotch Brite pad fixed it up perfectly.
-DeSantis Kydex Paddle

Just a good basic holster. Not much else to say about it. Retention is perfect and it rides comfortably. It is secure, yet easy to take off.

Modifications I have on order...

-AmeriGlo Orange/Green Tritium Front Sight (http://www.ameriglo.net/sites/default/files/GL212ORC%20copy.jpg)

To me, night sights are a must on a pistol that is intended for personal protection. I went with this AmeriGlo front sight because I saw a friend's and really liked the visibility of that big orange dot up front. Another big factor was that it is standard height, which is important since I am staying with an OEM rear sight of standard dimensions.
-Glock OEM Steel Rear Sight

I wish a night sight version was available, but it doesn't appear to be so. I really like the bracket rear, but wanted to get away from the polymer. This was the obvious choice.
-Lone Wolf LCI Extractor

I have been having some mild/moderate issues with being hit in the face with brass. This pistol has the latest MIM LCI extractor, which some have pointed to as a source of some of Glock's recent issues. I'm hoping that an aftermarket extractor from LWD will make my ejection more consistent. We will have to see what happens when it arrives.

zero7one
11 April 2012, 10:25
The only modification that I have made to my Glock is to add grip tape to the grip and underneath the trigger guard. You can use the pre-cut versions, but do not use skateboard tape. Skateboard tape is basically sticky sandpaper, which is well...paper. I created my own templates and cut my grip out of a single piece of 3M ladder grip tape. It is made out of plastic, not paper, and though it is a little aggressive at first, it smooths out a little over time. I have had the same grip on for well over a year and have not had to replace it yet, nor has it begun to peel off. Other than that I run my Glock stock with night sights.

Creeky73
11 April 2012, 15:48
I have found no reason to change anything internal on mine yet. I've shot with the factory sights for over 4 yrs now, and even though it is not my favorite sight picture, it is very serviceable. New sights may come sometime in the future. I have had no need for a trigger job, as I found that the trigger smoothed out quite a bit over time, and is better than any XD or XD/m I have put my hands on, short of one a buddy of mine had hot-rodded for IDPA shooting. That trigger job cost him upwards of $200. The only thing I have thought about that is somewhat "unnecessary" would be a steel guide rod. I know, these things don't break with anywhere near the frequency that some ppl would have you believe, but it is a small price for a little peace of mind. Anyhoo, for the moment it is a bone-stock G17 (aside from an X300 light) and I love it.

oregonshooter
11 April 2012, 19:32
My G17 is my carry gun and has the following done to it.

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g399/cerakoter/Cool%20Stuff%20Off%20Web/webshare/c7d7f098.png
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g399/cerakoter/Cool%20Stuff%20Off%20Web/webshare/7828e0fe.png
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g399/cerakoter/Cool%20Stuff%20Off%20Web/webshare/d0b6b09f.png
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g399/cerakoter/Cool%20Stuff%20Off%20Web/webshare/65d5a17f.png

Flattened hump on back, epoxy filled blackstrap with magwell bevel for easier reloads

Stippling on grip and sides of frame

Magwell cuts for easy mag rips

Heinie w/ rear notch opened to .140" and Dawson .115 Front Fiber Optic

Wolf extended mag release sanded down to vickers length ($2.00)

GRTactical Trigger Job Tutorial (http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=103781)

markm
12 April 2012, 06:21
Almost Box Stock here too. If the OEM sights didn't smash up so easily, I wouldn't change them out.... just reverse them so the dot/box wasn't in my sight picture.

I hate stippling generally... but my pistol was so old and smooth, I had to do something...

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/CIMG3521.jpg

Creeky73
12 April 2012, 16:28
Almost Box Stock here too. If the OEM sights didn't smash up so easily, I wouldn't change them out.... just reverse them so the dot/box wasn't in my sight picture.

I hate stippling generally... but my pistol was so old and smooth, I had to do something...

that is probably one of the classiest-looking stipple jobs I have seen. I have considered having it done as well, the cost isn't too outrageous. I am just concerned about doing something irreversible to the frame of my Glock. Although that particular pattern doesn't look like it gives as much texture as some of the others (Bowie, etc) it certainly looks well thought out and executed.

markm
13 April 2012, 10:46
Thanks... I did sit there and grip the gun and figure out where the stipple would be most effective with a minimalist approach.

Then I just practice a few burns on some other plactic stuff... I have a cool barkie (tree bark texture) looking bit I made, but I don't have anything to stipple yet.

5pins
14 April 2012, 07:05
What did you use to stipple it, a wood burner? It looks real nice.

markm
16 April 2012, 06:12
If you're asking me... Yes... I bought the Harbor Freight wood burn kit and just used the pointy attachment. I cut and grinded another attachment that made a cool texture on pmag covers. I'll try that one next time something has to be stippled.

lamarbrog
25 April 2012, 23:32
This Glock 19 apparently really dislikes Tulammo. Over the past few days I put 300 rounds of Tula through it, and had three identical failures to eject. The case lodges horizontally in the ejection port with the mouth of the case forward. Probably loaded too light for it, since Monarch (Brown Bear) worked fine.

Prior to this, I've had two failures to ejection, and two failures to feed. One of the FTFs was almost definitely operator induced, the other was from a visibly deformed cartridge. The two failures to eject were with ammunition I scrounged up... they could have been reloads for all I know.

So, seven failures in 1450 rounds.... given the circumstances I am pleased. Now if I could only get this thing to stop hitting me between the eyes with casings. I think it's starting to make me flinch.

niftyvt
26 April 2012, 12:06
I shoot a gen4 g19 with 10-8 redback one sights and a haley skimmer trigger. For classes (ie ‘combat,’ Im a civi so no actual combat) I use g17 mags but when I conceal I use regular g19 mags.

Please be careful taking a hot iron to your polymer pistol or sending it out to get it done. I saw a guys stippled g17 frame split vertically up the rear of the grip at a handgun class, the frame had a very low round count on it and was stippled by professional company.

Curlyburns5
26 April 2012, 13:33
How are you liking the Haley trigger? I've read some not so positive opinions of it on other forums. I'm interested on the view from someone who is actually running it.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?jzvqf0

jp0319
28 April 2012, 05:58
First thing I do is whip out the Dremel tool. I hate finger grooves so I grind those off, I make the undercut trigger guard area larger so my middle finger rests there better, fill the back strap with black epoxy, and flatten the back strap hump. I dont do a "grip reduction" just change the contour. I also grind off the hook on the trigger guard and then get to stippling. After that is all done I move to the interior and work over ALL the trigger components and surfaces with the dremel/polishing wheel, and some polishing compound. Then I change the connector to a 3.5# and all of the springs get changed out for the wolff competition trigger kit minus the firing pin spring. I add the vickers extended Magazine release, and lastly I change the sights out to Warren Tactical sights (single tritium dot front and plain u notch rear). That's about it. I have only one Glock which I have had professional work done on and that is my 35 which I had David Bowie 360 stipple the grip. Other than that I do my own work on all of them. To include some work on Friend's Glocks. This is one reason why I own almost all Glocks.

One of my Glocks a 27 with a fail zero slide/barrel.

http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab50/jp0319/IMG_0223-1.jpg

JP

niftyvt
30 April 2012, 07:02
I only have about 500 through it with the Haley trigger and I really like it. I got to test it out at a Haley class I took in January and when I picked up my glock I really gave the stock trigger a fighting chance (500ish rounds worth) and when I hated it I installed the Skimmer. The take up is very minimal. I do not notice the take up when shooting but when I dry fire, and if I really try and feel for it, there is a tiny bit of movement before I hit the predictable wall. The creep is also very minimal; again I can feel it when being careful while dry firing but when I am actually shooting it feels like it just breaks. In comparison the stock trigger made me sad inside every time I pulled through the take up and follow on creep, this is coming from someone who has shot a double/single SIG extensively (for a civi that is). The trigger weight is right where I like it, not to light not to heavy, its not as light as my SIGs single and not as heavy as the double. My single hand shooting (both sides) improved dramatically with the new trigger, which is a nice little bonus. I dont have a gauge to measure the exact pull weight but I am sure there are numbers floating around.

This was my first time installing a trigger on a glock and the installation was straight forward and simple. It took about 10 minutes as I followed along with the GlockTriggers youtube video.

I have yet to run my g19 hard, like in a class or local match, but so far I really like the trigger. The next class I am attending is in August. It’s a rifle class but transitions are covered so I should be able to work the g19 a little bit.

A little range story:
I went shooting with a friend who also shoots a g19 and he has constantly shoots a little to the left, like 1-2 inches at 7 yards (I know its from trigger control, jerking or whatever blah blah blah). I handed him mine with the Skimmer and he shot it right on the money. I have shot his gun several times and it shot spot on for me. I am not saying that trigger work is the ultimate solution to trigger control/jerking issues, but it helped in my friends case.

lamarbrog
30 April 2012, 23:51
First thing I do is whip out the Dremel tool. I hate finger grooves so I grind those off, I make the undercut trigger guard area larger so my middle finger rests there better, fill the back strap with black epoxy, and flatten the back strap hump. I dont do a "grip reduction" just change the contour. I also grind off the hook on the trigger guard and then get to stippling. After that is all done I move to the interior and work over ALL the trigger components and surfaces with the dremel/polishing wheel, and some polishing compound. Then I change the connector to a 3.5# and all of the springs get changed out for the wolff competition trigger kit minus the firing pin spring. I add the vickers extended Magazine release, and lastly I change the sights out to Warren Tactical sights (single tritium dot front and plain u notch rear). That's about it. I have only one Glock which I have had professional work done on and that is my 35 which I had David Bowie 360 stipple the grip. Other than that I do my own work on all of them. To include some work on Friend's Glocks. This is one reason why I own almost all Glocks.

One of my Glocks a 27 with a fail zero slide/barrel.

http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab50/jp0319/IMG_0223-1.jpg

JP

I thought that was a Kahr PM9 at first glance. What a transformation.

Why round the trigger guard? I shoot pistols mostly that have squared trigger guards (Beretta 92FS and a Glock 19) so I don't have have much experience with that feature.

Victor9er
18 June 2012, 21:44
I have two gen4 Glocks (G19 & G22) and so far the only thing I've done to them was change out the sights. I installed the TruGlo TFO (tritium/fiber-optic) front & rear. Haven't felt a need to do anything else to them, and the sights work great for me. Very bright in both daylight and night-time settings.

tac40
20 July 2012, 08:07
http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu319/horseplay/StoicVenturesWomenspistol0712418.jpg

My buddy's Glock 21C, first time shooting this. With the Deltapoint RDS setup.

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu319/horseplay/StoicVenturesWomenspistol0712215.jpg

From 21-25 feet away as quickly as I can.