PDA

View Full Version : Using Schuster Bolt Tool?

tpelle
12 April 2012, 08:00
On one of my ARs I noticed that there was always a lot of tiny flakes of brass mostly on the bolt face and under the extractor hook, but actually pretty much spread everywhere all over the bolt and carrier. I understand that this is due to the ejector having sharp edges that "shave" little chips of brass off of the case head when the bolt rotates during lockup and extraction. The "fix" for this is to remove the ejector and very lightly stone the sharp edge to smooth it out. To remove the ejector you have to partially depress it against its spring to relieve pressure on its retaining pin, and while holding it depressed, use a 1/16" roll pin punch to drive out the pin.

As God didn't issue me with enough hands to do this by myself, and as I'm always looking for an excuse to acquire a new tool, I purchased a Schuster AR15 Bolt Tool to help out.

I tried it out last night, and had one major issue - When I had the bolt set in the tool and the ejector depressed, when I tried to drive the pin out, the bolt would rotate to the point that the pin was no longer aligned with the hole in the tool that gives the driven-out pin a place to go. Eventually I would have to re-position the bolt and go at it again and again. When I finally got the pin out, it had a sharp kink in it from all of the abuse it underwent.

Does anyone else have one of these tools? Have you had this similar problem? Is it just that the roll pin in my bolt was excessively tight? Do you have a solution? What am I doing wrong?

Eric
12 April 2012, 13:40
I use the Young mfg version from Brownells (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=18759/Product/AR-15-M16-AR-STYLE-308-BOLT-EJECTOR-TOOL) and never had an issue. It really locks the bolt in place while the pin is driven out a hole in the bottom. I've never seen or used the Schuster version. I'd clean out the ejector channel, install a new ejector pin and see what happens. If the Schuster tool isn't working, return it and try something else.

5pins
14 April 2012, 06:46
I use the Sinclair bolt vise and it works very well. There is a slot cut out for the bolt lug that keeps the bolt from rotating.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=26664/Product/AR-15-M16-BOLT-VISE

tpelle
14 April 2012, 07:52
Beware! The Schuster tool that Midway sells does not have the groove in the bottom into which one bolt lug fits to prevent rotation. I think I'm going to return the Schuster tool to Midway as unsatisfactory, and order the Sinclair tool from Brownells that Spins linked to.