PDA

View Full Version : Gloves... title says it all

Striker071
14 April 2012, 09:10
OK,

I was really interested in the SKD gloves and checked their website and they won't be returning until late summer. So I am now looking for a glove that will maintain a level of dexterity and still provide protection. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Striker071

Mamba6
14 April 2012, 10:33
I usually wear flight gloves by Rothco when downrange personally. They take abuse pretty well, are fireproof, and dry really quickly.

If you want a little more protection, I personally wear either Oakley SI Assault gloves or Wiley X CAG-1s/TAG-1s. Both have reinforced knuckles, and have held up well to my abuse. They are also pretty dexterous as far as I'm concerned, although I don't think many gloves can compete with how dexterous flight gloves are.

If you aren't a fan of reinforced knucles like those, Hatch has an Operator Shorty Tactical glove that a lot of my guys love. I have never worn them personally though.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

lamarbrog
14 April 2012, 22:33
I've used Mechanix gloves from WalMart for shooting, some light rappelling, four wheeling, sailing, yard work, and working on the car. They're my general-purpose gloves.

They don't have hardened knuckles. The face of the gloves is a sort of suede material while the back is a synthetic fabric. They breathe really well. Mine are getting kind of tattered at this point, but I've been using two pairs simultaneously for three or four years. Biggest issue is the Velcro is beginning to wear out. I like them because they are pretty slim and I can manipulate small controls easily with them on.

Sorry they're not very tactical, but I really have been getting excellent results from them. They're also cheap enough to replace often if you are really hard on gloves.

Mamba6
30 April 2012, 13:12
I know its been a little while since this was posted, but I was talking to two guys I know who recently went through a Redback One carbine course, and incidentally were wearing SKD PIG gloves. They both reported stiching beginning to rip and seams beginning to separate, even though the gloves were both brand new. Have no personal experience with them though.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Hmac
30 April 2012, 13:55
I've used Mechanix gloves from WalMart for shooting, some light rappelling, four wheeling, sailing, yard work, and working on the car. They're my general-purpose gloves.

They don't have hardened knuckles. The face of the gloves is a sort of suede material while the back is a synthetic fabric. They breathe really well. Mine are getting kind of tattered at this point, but I've been using two pairs simultaneously for three or four years. Biggest issue is the Velcro is beginning to wear out. I like them because they are pretty slim and I can manipulate small controls easily with them on.

I think that these mechanic's gloves are excellent for shooting for all the reasons mentioned above -- I have a pair in coyote tan that have help up extremely well and are very comfortable. But if you just have to have something "tactical", MechanixWear is you're huckleberry.

Sorry they're not very tactical, but I really have been getting excellent results from them. They're also cheap enough to replace often if you are really hard on gloves.

I think that these mechanic's gloves are excellent for shooting for all the reasons mentioned above -- I have a pair in coyote brown that have help up extremely well and are very comfortable. But if you just have to have something "tactical", MechanixWear is you're huckleberry.

http://www.mechanix.com/tactical

oregonshooter
30 April 2012, 16:04
I've been using mechanic gloves from Lowes for several years but recently got some Lift brand gloves at a show that are about the same but have better dexterity and fit better.

Curlyburns5
2 May 2012, 11:20
I use mechanix gloves as well. I have no need for padded knuckles or anything "tactical." They fit reasonably well and they are durable for their price.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ufqytt

PD Sgt.
15 May 2012, 08:57
I have been using Petzl rappelling gloves for a while with no complaints. Double thickness leather on the palms, good fit/dexterity, and a breathable back on the lightweight version.

Striker071
16 May 2012, 14:00
Thanks HMAC for link and all the others who suggested Mechanix.... I ordered a couple pairs.... will let you know how they work for me.

Optimus Prime
16 May 2012, 16:34
I think that these mechanic's gloves are excellent for shooting for all the reasons mentioned above -- I have a pair in coyote brown that have help up extremely well and are very comfortable. But if you just have to have something "tactical", MechanixWear is you're huckleberry.

http://www.mechanix.com/tactical

I reviewed a pair of theirs on my blog, and another as a guest post on theirs. Good stuff.