PDA

View Full Version : Break Free Bore Cleaning Foam

FortTom
21 April 2012, 14:15
I was reading in the "how to" section, how one user was using Break Free Bore cleaning foam. I've been interested in trying this product for a while now, if nothing more than out of curiosity. However, the first step was to spray the chamber with BF Powder Blaster. I picked up a can of this to read the instructions and it had a stern warning about damage to plastic or rubber grip. The OP stated that he first sprayed the bore with the Powder Blaster to loosen deposits. I'm wondering about possibly getting this stuff on my rails and other polymer based items, such as Larue rail clips, etc.

I guess to sum up my question, and to ask one, is it okay to use a non-plastic/polymer damaging cleaner such as Shooter's choice, or Gun Scrubber, and then follow up with the bore cleaning foam. I'm looking at the easiest way to clean my rifle(s).

I currently use a good quality cleaner, followed up by Hoppe's copper fouling cleaner. Followed by a little CLP, then a dry patch. This is a little time consuming, especially when shooting multiple rifles and pistols during a range trip.

My bolts are now all Spikes Tactical Nickel Boron, and cleaning these requires nothing more than a little gun scrubber, maybe a patch, or piece of cloth, and the bolt and bolt tail are clean, ready to lube and reassemble.

Anyone else use the Foaming Bore Cleaner, and with what results?

Thanks,
FT.

csmith
21 April 2012, 22:51
Use the CLP and call it a day. For "heavy duty" cleaning look into QUIB'S ODORLESS MINERAL SPIRITS/CLP BOLT CLEANING PROCEDURE (http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?1607-QUIB-S-ODORLESS-MINERAL-SPIRITS-CLP-BOLT-CLEANING-PROCEDURE), but the CLP should handle most of your issues.

Quib
22 April 2012, 07:06
I guess to sum up my question, and to ask one, is it okay to use a non-plastic/polymer damaging cleaner such as Shooter's choice, or Gun Scrubber, and then follow up with the bore cleaning foam. I'm looking at the easiest way to clean my rifle(s).

Thanks,
FT.

Tom,

If you are worried about BF Powder Blast harming the polymer components of your weapon, you can skip the flushing out of the chamber and bore and go directly to the BF FBC. I simply find it quicker to clean the weapon, by flushing out the large deposits first.

My OMS mixture can be used as well to accomplish the same thing without the worry. I've used this method myself in the past.

FortTom
22 April 2012, 11:08
Thanks, I'll try it both ways, one with polymer safe scrubber, then the FBC, and once just skipping the the "pre-soak" and just go directly to the FBC, and patches or a bore snake, and see what happens.

FT.