PDA

View Full Version : lower assembly

Penner
25 April 2012, 17:05
I have a seekins lower, and the rear takedown has been moved to under the grip, I know I have to trim the spring down a bit. And there's 2 threaded hex screws inside where the spring and pin are suppose to go.... How do I properly install the rear takedown d detent & spring?

Hatter
26 April 2012, 06:25
When I installed mine, I placed the takedown pin into the receiver, slid in the detent and then placed the spring behind it. I then looked at how much spring was protruding from the hole. I then lopped it off to make it flush with the receiver and installed the flush plug behind it. This was a little sloppy so I removed everything and repeated the process but left 1 or 2 (can't remember which) spring coils protruding from the receiver. Replace the flush plug with a drop of blue loc-tite and the pressure on the pin was perfect.

Grab an extra spring or two in case you cut a little too much off and the detent pressure isn't great enough. Remember you can always take another coil off but you can't add them!

Penner
26 April 2012, 12:56
Did you have 2 little screws inside the hole where the detent and spring fits into?

Hatter
26 April 2012, 13:50
2? Not that I remember... I believe there is only 1. I don't see a reason for 2, unless there was another blind detent that got sealed with a set screw. It's been a while since I assembled my Seekins so I'm not 100% clear (I drink a lot of whiskey...)

ETA: You can always email Seekins. They're pretty good about answering questions albeit a little delayed since they're quite busy.

Penner
26 April 2012, 18:52
I was trying the wrong spot lol what size is the plug? I didn't have the right tool so I have to pick one up... thanks for the help

Hatter
27 April 2012, 09:31
you lost me... You should have a plug. If you don't have the correct allen wrench I recommend taking it with you to the hardware store and buying the proper one. I don't remember the size of the set screw that was used, if that's what you're asking.