PDA

View Full Version : Home Brew Gun Lube

Eric
2 May 2012, 01:14
It seems like a few times a year we have a new gun lube that comes out with claims to make your action slick as snot, eliminate all wear, prevent rust, cure male pattern baldness, etc. There are several products that actually seem to work well, like Weaponshield and Slip2000. Like many folks, I've got various samples on the bench and will often use what is either free or just handy at the moment. More or less, I'm of the opinion that just about any gun lube will keep the weapon running as long as the lube is actually there in ample supply. I've used motor oil and ATF successfully as well. I'm sure the argument can be made that gun oils are heavily researched and formulated to address specific needs.

With that said, I'm curious if other folks are mixing up their own preferred lube to use in firearms. Ed's Red and Bug Juice variations are all over the internet. I've recently tried a couple recipes, more out of curiosity than anything. I've mixed the following:

2 parts Castrol Synthetic Oil, 10W50
1 part Catrrol Synthetic ATF
3 parts Lucas HD Oil Stabilizer
1 part Kroil Penetrating Oil

2 parts Royal Purple Synthetic Oil, 10W50
2 parts Castrol Synthetic ATF
1 part Hoppes #9
1 part Marvel Mystery Oil

Let's get this out of the way. No, in not a chemist. No, I'm not too cheap to buy gun specific products.

markm
2 May 2012, 07:34
I rolled my eyes at Froglube for a long time. ... yeah yeahh... heard all this crap before....

But once you try it in an AR, you'll never mess with any other stuff again.

The hotter the weapon gets, the juicier the lube gets.

niftyvt
2 May 2012, 08:28
I use high temp wheel bearing grease, $5 for a pound at the auto parts store for the best stuff they had in house. If I really feel the need to oil something I have some mPro7 I got for free at a class, or all the other stuff I have around that the grease replaced.

markm
2 May 2012, 11:21
I used to use the bearing grease too... on the cam pin and carrier rails.

The froglube works much better.

lamarbrog
2 May 2012, 13:41
We use Valvoline Conventional 5W-30 on our high round count M16 rentals.

Seems to work just fine, and it's cheap.

I don't really care if it "feels slick as snot" as long as it works. Seems to sound a lot like judging ARs based on "fit and finish".

John Hwang
2 May 2012, 15:36
We just got some Allstar Tactical Beaver Lube for testing. Look for something from zero7one in the near future.

markm
3 May 2012, 06:12
We use Valvoline Conventional 5W-30 on our high round count M16 rentals.

Seems to work just fine, and it's cheap.

I too came off of the motor oil bus. I was running Mobile 1. Motor oil doesn't hold a candle to how froglube works... not even close.

The bolt group starts to sweat the stuff out when it gets warm. You have to see it to believe it.

RowlandP
5 May 2012, 13:39
Another Froglube saleman on the board.

Here's a trick, substitute Froglube with Thompson Center Natural Lube 1000 and tell us the difference. (other than the price, that is.)

markm
7 May 2012, 07:18
I'm really not a salesman. Anyone who knows me from the forums over the years will tell you I'm a no nonsense/no BS shooter. I don't fanboy shit. I thought froglube was nonsense for a long time. I hated the idea that it was non toxic and all that stuff.

Never heard of Thompson Center's product. But if it's the same thing cheaper... I'd be all over it. Froglube is a little pricey.

markm
7 May 2012, 10:37
Just did some looking around for the Thompsons stuff... It's about 1/3 the price of froglube. I might have to try an 8 ouncer of the stuff. If it flows like froglube when heated up, I'm all over it.

Dualspringfields
2 July 2012, 08:18
I got to say I like the Froglube. And if I'm a salesman the bastards are keeping the money. It's a little pricey I suppose. But if it lubes like it needs to and cuts my cleaning time in 1/2 or more I'll pay that price.

markm
2 July 2012, 09:03
I got to say I like the Froglube. And if I'm a salesman the bastards are keeping the money. It's a little pricey I suppose. But if it lubes like it needs to and cuts my cleaning time in 1/2 or more I'll pay that price.

I have one gun that I just DON'T clean. Just keep adding a few drops of Froglube each shoot to the Bolt carrier group. I'm normally a thorough gun cleaner, but my old beater AR chugs right along.

FortTom
2 July 2012, 10:36
I used to use Lucas Oil and the Oil additive in every thing from my car to my Harley - heck even in the lawn mower.
Until.....If you go to Bob the Oil guys website, where they independently test lubricants and fuel additives, Lucas doesnt live up to its calims. Motor Kote, on the other hand, surpassed it'ts lubricity test until the machine finally gave out. It's not a "thick additive, like lucas, it has a very low viscosity. It actually coats the metal moving parts with a non PTFE or similar products which gum up your engine.
O.K. what has this got to do with AR's?
I mix 2 ounces of Motor Koat to one quart of Mobil One. After trying this the first time, and putting about 100 rounds down range, I could tell the gun ran cooler. Also, having NiBoron bolts, it only takes a small bit on the BCU, and I lube the internals with it during every cleaning. It might not suit your test, but it works better than any thing I've tried yet, as far as home brew lubricants.

Big Upside: It (Motor Kote) bonds to metal, it doesn't change the viscosity of your oil/lube like Lucas and others do.

Down Side: Motor Kote costs 25 bucks a quart. But most of it goes into my cars and harley, so I'm buying it anyway, and 2 ounce to a quart, well a quart will lube a whole bunch of guns.

Just thought I'd throw that out there, but if you happen to have some, or has a buddy who wiill spot you an ounce or two, give it a try. I think it's simpe, and it works great.

FT
Edited for Spelling, and, as pointed out below, it's Bob The Oil guy (website) vs. "Bill" - apologies...FT

Eric
2 July 2012, 19:44
If you go to Bill the Oil guys website, where they independently test lubricants and fuel additives, Lucas doesnt live up to its calims. Motor Kote, on the other hand, surpassed it'ts lubricity test until the machine finally gave out. It's not a "thick additive, like lucas, it has a very low viscosity. It actually coats the metal moving parts with a non PTFE or similar products which gum up your engine.
O.K. what has this got to do with AR's? Maybe Bob is the Oil Guy? (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/)

FortTom
4 July 2012, 14:58
Maybe Bob is the Oil Guy? (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/)

Yes, right you are. I type faster than I think, and I don't type all that fast either....

M. Gale
4 July 2012, 19:30
It seems like a few times a year we have a new gun lube that comes out with claims to make your action slick as snot, eliminate all wear, prevent rust, cure male pattern baldness, etc. There are several products that actually seem to work well, like Weaponshield and Slip2000. Like many folks, I've got various samples on the bench and will often use what is either free or just handy at the moment. More or less, I'm of the opinion that just about any gun lube will keep the weapon running as long as the lube is actually there in ample supply. I've used motor oil and ATF successfully as well. I'm sure the argument can be made that gun oils are heavily researched and formulated to address specific needs.

With that said, I'm curious if other folks are mixing up their own preferred lube to use in firearms. Ed's Red and Bug Juice variations are all over the internet. I've recently tried a couple recipes, more out of curiosity than anything. I've mixed the following:

2 parts Castrol Synthetic Oil, 10W50
1 part Catrrol Synthetic ATF
1 part Kroil Penetrating Oil

2 parts Royal Purple Synthetic Oil, 10W50
2 parts Castrol Synthetic ATF
1 part Hoppes #9
1 part Marvel Mystery Oil

Let's get this out of the way. No, in not a chemist. No, I'm not too cheap to buy gun specific products.

How much did it cost you to mix up your first batch?

We just got some Allstar Tactical Beaver Lube for testing. Look for something from zero7one in the near future.

I have to go there...

Something is a bit off with the name!

Eric
5 July 2012, 07:07
How much did it cost you to mix up your first batch? I'm not even sure, since I had most of the stuff on hand already. If one were to mix up full quantities of each, that would be enough lube for a few years for most.