PDA

View Full Version : Fixed BUIS and Aimpoint H1

artoaster
7 May 2012, 09:59
Here's the setup I'm considering:

Flattop receiver with Troy Industries Fixed Rear Battlesight and standard carbine FSB

then running an Aimpoint H1 and possibly switching to folding rear BUIS but keeping FSB.

Concerned about doing absolute co-witness with fixed front and rear BUIS or going to lower 1/3rd.

If there's a problem with the fixed rear that's an easy fix. I'm mostly concerned about keeping the fixed rear and whether I go absolute or 1/3rd lower. I don't want to be changing cheek weld.

markm
7 May 2012, 10:28
I hear you. I have an Aimpoint in a Wilcox mount which is lower 1/3. You can still snap into our normal checkweld... the dot just ends up lower in the tube when your head is down on the gun. The 1/3 is tall and your head will sit up a little more. But I hate the clutter of an absolute cowitness.... It's a trade off.

Eric
7 May 2012, 15:39
If your swapping between a lower third and absolute there will be a change in the way you mount the weapon, albeit it minimal and not enough to worry about.

Paulo_Santos
7 May 2012, 16:34
If you have a fixed front sight, especially with a T-1, I'd get the lower 1/3 mount because it is less cluttered. The T-1 is much smaller than a regular Aimpoint, so if you use a regular co-witness, the front and rear fixed sights really block a lot as opposed to having the lower 1/3 mount.

TehLlama
7 May 2012, 22:13
Fixed front, lower 1/3, flip rear is the setup I've figured out works best for me, and standardized all three of my Aimpoint Micro equipped carbines for that. Absolute can work well, but I've found it's seldom better than lower 1/3, and the latter works great when using fixed irons of any sort.

Stickman
8 May 2012, 13:12
I never wanted to change away from a fixed FSB, I was 100% sold on it with a need for fixed sights. The more I shot, the more I liked a folding rear sight, and eventually, the more I liked running a front and rear folder for a cleaner unobscured field of view.

My duty weapon now is folders with a Aimpoint Comp M4, and after lots of real world time with this setup, I can't imagine wanting to switch back. The fixed sights just make no sense anymore.

browcs
11 May 2012, 16:37
All of my personal carbines have the FSB and fixed BUIS and Aimpoints; my duty gun has a FSB, Magpul rear sight and EOTech....I have come to appreciate the view I get whenever the rear sight is folded down.

wkp2
13 May 2012, 20:47
I run a fixed front and folding rear on my issued carbine. My personal has folders and I much prefer them. I like shooting irons to maintain my ability to do so, but when left to choose, i rarely use them. Being able to fold them down is nice. I guess having the fixed front doesn't bother me, but given the option I pick folding sights every time. The only AR I ran a fixed rear was one with a carry handle. I got rid of it years ago and haven't looked back.