PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint Pro levels

CLBME
8 May 2012, 17:32
Good evening,

I have a question regarding my Aimpoint Pro. It's my first so I have no other experience with them but I've always wondered since buying it over a year ago if mine functions properly and if so why they are made this way. It's a great sight for me and I have no complaints but I'm curious and I've never asked anyone...........[:)]

I realize that the first four settings on the AP are for night vision and therefore I wouldn't see them (assuming so as I've never used NV either). However, the 5th level is so dull even on a white wall that I've never used it, even the 6th level isn't very bright. Even inside while dry firing against a wall I still leave it on level 7 or 6 if I'm practicing trigger control close to a wall. On level 8 I begin to see a red ring around the outside of the tube and the highest level washes the view out in a red light when used inside. When I shoot outside in the direct sunlight the dot loses much of its brightness so I usually use it on max. A couple of weeks ago I was shooting with my brother and it was virtually impossible to see the dot at the highest setting. (I did change out the battery after a year though and did find the highest two levels to be clearly brighter especially max.)

So I have two questions:

1. Are the brightness levels in the conditions I described normal? I assume they are, but what are the low-brightness dot levels used for? I'm assuming for low light shooting? They just seem so low, but I've never used it in low light so I don't know. And does the dot lose much of its brightness in full sunlight? I really only use two levels (sometimes three)- highest shooting outside and level 6/7 for dry-firing inside. Is this what most people do?

2. The specs say that there are 4 NV settings and 6 daylight settings with one being extra bright. My AP however only has 9 clicks on the dial, which to me would be 9 levels not 10. Is the "off" setting actually a NV setting so that "clicks" don't correspond to levels?

Thanks for the education.

Christian

csmith
8 May 2012, 20:05
Tried to get a few pictures of mine for you, but I couldn't get the camera to capture what I see. For me, looking at mine right now under (what I'd call) typical levels of artifical lighting 5 is where I'd set it. At about 7 I start getting the red splash toward the outside of the glass. I turn mine on to the point I can just barely make out that it's visible, then go 1 higher.

As for question two, everybody now-a-days counts "OFF" as a setting.

markm
9 May 2012, 07:39
I just asked this question a few weeks back about my Aimpoint C3. Sounds like yours does the exact same thing as mine. NORMAL.

The first 4-5 settings are useless unless in total darkness.... and even then, if you turn your weapon light on, you'd lose the dot.

CLBME
9 May 2012, 15:28
Thank you MarkM and CSmith for your replies. I'm happy to learn that all is well.

csmith
10 May 2012, 06:32
Just remember, you only want the power on high enough so your eye can track the dot, but without having to search for it.

markm
10 May 2012, 09:18
The thing I've found that bugs me is that I can set the dot for indoor, then take a site pic of something outside through my window and the dot isn't bright enough. Likewise, if it were reversed and I had my dot visible outside a building and went in, it'd be too bright... which hurts the view of the target.

I don't run the dot for Defense... but I could see setting it for night time and losing it when I fire up the weapon light.

Out on the range it's not too bad. Just set it and shoot, but in and out of different lighting and for real world use, I'll take plain old irons.

CLBME
10 May 2012, 16:35
Thanks for the followup posts!

That's what I do normally. I don't like it to be too pronounced but as I mentioned bright light seems to keep me on high most of the time.

Just remember, you only want the power on high enough so your eye can track the dot, but without having to search for it.

That's why I was curious about how other people used them as I experience the same thing.

The thing I've found that bugs me is that I can set the dot for indoor, then take a site pic of something outside through my window and the dot isn't bright enough. Likewise, if it were reversed and I had my dot visible outside a building and went in, it'd be too bright... which hurts the view of the target.

Thanks again.

I don't run the dot for Defense... but I could see setting it for night time and losing it when I fire up the weapon light.

Out on the range it's not too bad. Just set it and shoot, but in and out of different lighting and for real world use, I'll take plain old irons.

markm
11 May 2012, 05:52
I was trying this scenario out again yesterday afternoon. I'm finding that if I go from moderate inside light to daylight, it takes me an extra second to find the dot which is now much less pronounced. And the only reason we put this bulky hunks on our guns is to get faster shots.

I'm not liking a sight system that requires so much user intervention.

CLBME
11 May 2012, 14:13
Hi MarkM- All of my shooting is done on a "hobby" basis not as a professional so I only find myself either dry-firing at home or doing the same/live-firing at the club so I don't go from different conditions as you've noted and hadn't considered that. I can understand your comments when I consider someone going from a dark/interior setting to an outside bright setting and having to deal with the different dot brightness levels. It must be part of training to adjust the dot I assume if your in that situation or pick a setting that's the best of both worlds?

Thanks!

I was trying this scenario out again yesterday afternoon. I'm finding that if I go from moderate inside light to daylight, it takes me an extra second to find the dot which is now much less pronounced. And the only reason we put this bulky hunks on our guns is to get faster shots.

csmith
11 May 2012, 22:31
It must be part of training to adjust the dot I assume if your in that situation or pick a setting that's the best of both worlds?

Finding a good middle ground is definately easier. I think trying to train to maintain your sight picture while transitioning through differing levels of light would be akin to attempting to train yourself to not lose vision when you get tagged with a flashlight at night.

csmith
11 May 2012, 22:35

I think that's asking a bit much of the Aimpoint. It's not the technology, it's how your eyes are working. I don't have extensive use with holographic sights by any means, but I'd be willing to bet an EOTech would be easier to track in this instance.

CLBME
12 May 2012, 05:31
I'm sure that's probably true...................pure assumption/curiosity as noted on my part as that's not part of my shooting.

My brother has an Eotech, which I've not shot with other than a few times when we traded for a bit. I'll have to see when we're together again.

Finding a good middle ground is definately easier. I think trying to train to maintain your sight picture while transitioning through differing levels of light would be akin to attempting to train yourself to not lose vision when you get tagged with a flashlight at night.

Stickman
12 May 2012, 10:32

The only optic I'm aware of which is doing a good job of adjusting its brightness based on the target lighting is the one from Browe.

Aragorn
12 May 2012, 14:43
The only optic I'm aware of which is doing a good job of adjusting its brightness based on the target lighting is the one from Browe.

Any reviews on the Browe optics?

Trijicon RMR's are self adjusting to brightness, not super fast, but doesn't require any manual input.

csmith
12 May 2012, 18:29
I think that's asking a bit much of the Aimpoint. It's not the technology, it's how your eyes are working. I don't have extensive use with holographic sights by any means, but I'd be willing to bet an EOTech would be easier to track in this instance.

For clarification, my previous statement was based on the EOTech reticle's size and/or shape, not any ability it has to self adjust.

Dualspringfields
14 May 2012, 19:57
I keep mine on 6 I have a PRO and a C3. Both are on 6. If I find that I need to go brighter I just reach over with my non-firing hand and adjust while staying on target. Also I have found that having a rear sight that's either permanently fixed or flipped up helps with this problem. I have a Troy fixed rear BattleSight behind my PRO and am loving it. I seem to get on target a lot faster. Thought t would jack with me but it doesn't at all. Honestly thinking of taking the Po' Boy magnifier set-up off my other AR and getting another Troy fixed rear sight for it too.

Paulo_Santos
15 May 2012, 07:19
When using an Aimpoint indoors, I set it up on the brightest setting that will work in the brightest conditions inside. Most indoor shooting will be at close range, so even if the dot is a little bright, it isn't covering up too much of the target.