PDA

View Full Version : S&W Shield Review

MilitaryArms
8 May 2012, 20:24
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afJ16huA8wA

MoxyDave
9 May 2012, 12:19
Great review. Put 300 rounds of all types through mine the other day. No problems at all, good accuracy and shoots almost like a full-size pistol, unlike many other small autos. Overall I am very satisfied. I'll be carrying this instead of my G26 much of the time now.

BravoHotel
9 May 2012, 13:37
Great review. Put 300 rounds of all types through mine the other day. No problems at all, good accuracy and shoots almost like a full-size pistol, unlike many other small autos. Overall I am very satisfied. I'll be carrying this instead of my G26 much of the time now.

9mm or .40? Still debating myself. All my other guns are .40 or .45 but I'm tempted to try the 9. Downside...just one more ammo size to stock.

MoxyDave
9 May 2012, 18:41
9mm or .40? Still debating myself. All my other guns are .40 or .45 but I'm tempted to try the 9. Downside...just one more ammo size to stock.

9mm. I went through quite a few rounds of Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P which I think is pretty close to .40 in terms of felt recoil. No problems at all, and in fact it's actually pleasant to shoot unlike several other small autos such as the Kel-Tec PF9 and Kahr PM9.

If you're sticking to .40 I would just wait until that model becomes available. It won't be long. S&W have been consistently shipping product, unlike so many of the vaporware pistols out there ... *cough Sig 938 cough*

MilitaryArms
9 May 2012, 21:27
I would be interested in shooting the .40 just to see how the recoil is. But I'm a big fan of 9mm and have been for a couple of... ack... this will date me, decades.

MoxyDave
18 May 2012, 12:41
Put another 250 through the Shield, mostly 124gr Blazer aluminum. This is one sweet little shooter. I'm amazed that it's so solid right out of the gate. Usually there are some hiccups with new handguns, but this thing has been flawless. No break-in, no BS it just runs. I hope this encourages other manufacturers to get it right the first time. Unlikely I know, but one can hope ...

TripleBravo
19 May 2012, 14:22
Very informative! I've got to admit that I'm a bit bummed out about the thumb safety on the shield though. I'd be interested to hear why the designers felt it was necessary.

MoxyDave
20 May 2012, 02:01
Very informative! I've got to admit that I'm a bit bummed out about the thumb safety on the shield though. I'd be interested to hear why the designers felt it was necessary.

I would be interested in knowing as well. At least they left out the magazine disconnect (although they engraved a nice, handy reminder on the slide about that).

Some folks say "leave it off and don't use it" but I think it should always be used. You can't be 100% certain that it will stay disengaged.

If you're not used to it you do have to train quite a bit, but shooting is fun so it doesn't bother me. Worst case, I'll begin sweeping my thumb on my Glock the same way, to no ill effect ...