PDA

View Full Version : SIG's New 7.62x51 Piston Gun!

usbp379
14 May 2012, 16:20
Here's a short video of the new SIG716 being fired with an AAC 762-SDN-6 attached. This is my first experience with a suppressed .308 and I'm amazed at how well the can works.

Ammo used is WOLF steel cased. The first three shots are with the gas turned off. The next three are with the gas on the lowest setting.

Nice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MQ1HI52WTo&feature=channel&list=UL

John Hwang
16 May 2012, 11:13
Great video. Thanks for sharing. What's your overall impression of the rifle so far? How many rounds do you have down range?

usbp379
17 May 2012, 11:06
I don't have a bunch of rounds through the gun yet but have enjoyed the couple hundred I've fired. The gun is easy to shoot and control and the manual of arms is certainly straightforward and normal. Not that the FAL or SCAR, etc has a weird operating system but the AR is the AR. It's just a little bigger in this case, if that makes sense.

Accuracy-wise, I am not too pleased with the groups I've gotten up to this point. But I'm not finding fault with the rifle yet since most of the stuff I've fired has been WOLF steel cased stuff. I have fired a few rounds of "better" ammo and have gotten groups about 1.5" at 100 yards. I believe the rifle will probably do better with a load it particulary likes.

I am impressed with SIG's gas system. The 308 platform is similar in design to the 223 series but I like that the gas block has vent holes that vent to the atmosphere rather than under the handguard like on the 516. I also like that the gas valve can be removed by rotating it 180-degrees. On the 516 it must be unscrewed and that can be difficult with carbon fouling on the valve's threads.

Overall I have favorable impressions. Besides the above, fit and finish is good, etc. Only down side is the weight. The gun is something like nine and a half pounds empty. That's just the nature of the beast, I guess.

tac40
30 May 2012, 21:18
Have you shot from the bench to see how you're grouping?

usbp379
5 July 2012, 05:02
I have done a limited amount of shooting for groups. The rifle shoots good but is not outstanding. Groups with good ammo at 100 yards seem to run in the inch to inch and a half range. Now it could be I just need to find a load the rifle really likes. Also, the heavy trigger probably doesn't help...