PDA

View Full Version : Knee Pad Recommendations

FortTom
20 May 2012, 20:10
Short story, retired military, abuse and age dictate the need for some decent knee pads. I see them all over the place, in both price and features. Prefer woodland, as that is now my primary domain environment. Important features, durability, soft padding inside facing the knees, flexibility. Also, quick drying if wet, if possible. Preferebly genuine mil-spec standard issue. Also, paint on rivets should not wear off and become shiney flashlights.

Thanks ahead,
FT.

TangoSauce
20 May 2012, 20:57
I have Alta as well as the foam inserts for 5.11 pants for lighter use. Opsgear has 20% off code right now if you go with Alta, but the woodland is on backorder.

Hmac
21 May 2012, 06:22
I've had Alta's for years, always hated them for their tendency to slide down, their weight, lack of flexibility, and the fact that they tended to be hot. The sliding-down thing was helped when I put some beads of silicone on the inside of the pad and on the inside of the straps, but the best, most comfortable knee pads I've used have been either the Arctryx Knee Caps (LEAF version with locking strap) or the Black Diamond Telekneesis knee pads. Both are very light, very flexible and IMHO very much superior to the Alta's.

Cameron
21 May 2012, 07:44
I use the Arc'Teryx knee pads. They are the best I have ever used.

Cameron

FortTom
21 May 2012, 13:30
I've had Alta's for years, always hated them for their tendency to slide down, their weight, lack of flexibility, and the fact that they tended to be hot. The sliding-down thing was helped when I put some beads of silicone on the inside of the pad and on the inside of the straps, but the best, most comfortable knee pads I've used have been either the Arctryx Knee Caps (LEAF version with locking strap) or the Black Diamond Telekneesis knee pads. Both are very light, very flexible and IMHO very much superior to the Alta's.

I use the Arc'Teryx knee pads. They are the best I have ever used.

Cameron
Thanks, all. I'll have to check those out A.S.A.P. Need something, knees starting to feel like they've got gravel in them........

skd_tactical
22 May 2012, 01:55
You won't go wrong with the Arc'teryx Knee Caps. They are the only Knee pads I will wear on patrol and not get annoyed with.

SOS

CarlosDJackal
5 June 2012, 12:36
You won't go wrong with the Arc'teryx Knee Caps. They are the only Knee pads I will wear on patrol and not get annoyed with.

SOS

+1. I've had mine for more than three years of wear - mostly at the range and during more than half a dozen shooting courses.