PDA

View Full Version : Any Issues With Magpul Rear Buis

tpelle
23 May 2012, 12:58
I put together an A4 rifle, and recently replaced my carry handle rear sight with a red dot optic. I wanted a backup sight, and recently ordered one of the Magpul 2nd Generation rear flip-up sights.

I know that they're made of polymer, but besides that are there any issues with them? Will they flip up to the right height for my A2-style front sight tower?

I know they're much less expensive than other flip-up BUIS, and I wonder why you don't see them on more rifles - that's what makes me suspicious.

Paulo_Santos
23 May 2012, 15:10
They are very tough and reliable. No issues with mine.

Eric
23 May 2012, 16:39
I've seen a lot in use and I've only had problems with one (a pin kept drifting out). The align just like any other BUIS.

Optimus Prime
23 May 2012, 20:16
Zero issues with a Gen 1 rear on one of my guns.

Hmac
24 May 2012, 04:39
My Gen II rear BUIS hasnt had the opportunity to be abused much yet, but it's been solid, accurate, and repeatable over the last year-or-so that I've had it.

Stickman
24 May 2012, 17:59
About the best thing I can say about them is they aren't very exciting. No issues, no drama, no bragging rights for most expensive components..... just functional.

markm
25 May 2012, 06:12
About the best thing I can say about them is they aren't very exciting. No issues, no drama, no bragging rights for most expensive components..... just functional.

You're selling me on it! :)

tpelle
26 May 2012, 18:52
OK, I got the sight on Friday. Mounted it to my rifle, and have to say that so far I'm pleased. The one unique thing about this site, being made of polymer, is how it clamps to the rail. There is no separate clamping bar on one side of the sight - to install it you remove (not just loosen) the clamping screw, retract the bolt and lock it back, and leave the charging handle back. Then you slip the sight on to the rail from the rear, while you look through the clamp screw hole for the slot in the Pic rail. When it's lined up you slip the screw through and tighten it down.

To pop the sight up, you can use the little tabs that stick out on each side, or just press on the top "cover" of the sight, which is all of the same piece as the tabs.

When the sight is popped up it is in exact co-witness with my red dot. The sight locks in the up position and you have to press on the same controls to lower it.

I planned to get to my club's range this weekend, but as it happens they are hosting an IPSC, state championship match this weekend and have all of the ranges closed for this. Maybe next week.