PDA

View Full Version : flash suppressor recommendation?

theWatch
24 May 2012, 23:14
If you were going to pin a 14.5 barrel what device do you like for flash suppression and why? There are so many options a newbie could actually lose his mind. I have been watching review videos and reading reviews for over 2 hours.

zero7one
25 May 2012, 01:28
What is the price range that you are looking for? Are you looking specifically for flash suppression, compensation, or both?

For pure Flash Suppression I would say the AAC Blackout or the Smith Vortex are great options. The Smith Vortex 1001V can be ordered with a pre-drilled hole for permanent installation.

If you are looking for compensation, the Battle Comp 1.5 is another great option. The 1.5 is made specifically for permanent installation and also has a pre-drilled hole.

rob_s
25 May 2012, 04:44
http://youtu.be/zDB2WtYTRsA

markm
25 May 2012, 06:11
Assuming I didn't need a silencer mount, I'd get only one. The A2 extended. The come predrilled from bravo. Anything brake oriented gets on my nerves very quickly... including the battlecomp. Just gets old fast.

The Blackout might drive you nuts if you hate the ping. That ping varies from gun to gun. I've had them loud and nonexistant.

(cutting a pinned muzzle device is a pain... and can be down right tricky. So make sure you pick something that won't get on your nerves.)

The PWS 556 isn't bad to get rid of, but this vortex I cut off of a guy's Noveske barrel was nerve racking.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/IMG_1833.jpg?t=1299025983

theWatch
25 May 2012, 07:44
For my first AR I have settled on a Rainier Arms RUC 14.5. From all the reviews I read and watched the XTC comp works great for it's intended purpose. It seems to be extremely flat shooting. But the noise seems a little loud and the flash seems bright. Again, those don't seem to be it's intended niche.

So I'm looking for something with a little less flash and a little less noise. (Isn't everyone?)

Or....did the couple of reviews I read get it wrong and is the XTC perfectly fine and I am way overthinking this?

This site has been so informative but the amount of info available here and elsewhere can almost cause some sort of overload issue.

Eric
25 May 2012, 08:00
Or....did the couple of reviews I read get it wrong and is the XTC perfectly fine and I am way overthinking this? It depends on what you want in a muzzle device. The XTC does a great job at keeping the muzzle planted for rapid follow up shots, but at the expensive of a rather loud report and increased blast to the sides. Not my first choice for a duty carbine, but it has its place.

theWatch
25 May 2012, 08:08
Eric, that is what I'm talking about. What's a good compromise for sound and flash. With it being pinned I'll pretty much be stuck with my choice.

csmith
25 May 2012, 08:14
http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?3867-feed-back-on-the-vc-1&highlight=flash

markm
25 May 2012, 09:00
Eric, that is what I'm talking about. What's a good compromise for sound and flash. With it being pinned I'll pretty much be stuck with my choice.

You're about in the battlecomp realm. I hate the thing, but on a 14.5 it'd probably make you happy.

Oddly enough, we run one on a 16" .308 LMT and it doesn't annoy me at all. On an 11.5 inch 5.56 gun, it's the worst gun we have on the range. Worse than even the 300 Win Mag with a break.

Eric
25 May 2012, 17:58
BattleComp 1.5. Expensive, but fits the description of what you're looking for.

theWatch
25 May 2012, 19:49
Mike at Rainier recommended their XD flash hider. Thoughts?

FortTom
26 May 2012, 09:20
Their is a new magazine called Recoil. It started, with it's first issue around Jan as a quarterly, but now the second issue is out and it's going to be a bi-monthly. The point is, that the latest issue has about a 3 page test spread on flash suppressors, brakes, compensatators and hybrids. If you can get your hands on this months issue, about a page or two is dedicated to reviewing about every flash suppressor available.

FT.

DerMann
26 May 2012, 09:38
I had a chance to look at the article in Recoil concerning muzzle devices. Not a whole lot listed on effectiveness of the various designs but it does show profile and head-on views of the various devices mounted on a 10.5" barrel along with dimensions. I thought it strange that they listed the AAC 18t mount instead of the more popular 51t.

As a sidebar, not sure what to think of the magazine as a whole. It seemed like a cross between Maxim and Guns and Ammo.

hkdcamcain
27 May 2012, 06:18
Rather new to ARs so take my opinion as you like, but my stock a2 does just fine for me. as for a choice id take an AAC Blackout anyday, i shot a friends middy with it and with some ammo it did make an odd sound but only the shooter seemed to notice it. however i did notice marginally more muzzle rise on his than mine.

rob_s
27 May 2012, 11:39
As a sidebar, not sure what to think of the magazine as a whole. It seemed like a cross between Maxim and Guns and Ammo.

Seems to me to be a whole bunch of "here's some stuff we read on the internet".

markm
29 May 2012, 06:02
Rather new to ARs so take my opinion as you like, but my stock a2 does just fine for me.

Same here, but I think he needs a longer device to comply with NFA.

TangoSauce
29 May 2012, 13:09
Through my experience, I am very happy with the BattleComp1.5 on a 14.5'' middy. It's much less annoying than the FSC556, and I'd venture to say my KAC 3T...at least given from what the guy next to me said.

The A2 is hard to beat overall though.