PDA

View Full Version : AR grips

adrenaline151
25 April 2008, 15:26
First off, I would like to say "hello" to everyone on this board. This is my first post, although I've been a member for a short while and have gone back and forth through these pages about a hundred times... the info on here is priceless.
AAAnyway. I have a question that I haven't seen addressed anywhere yet, and it might be a non issue anyway, but something I noticed. Does the angle of the grips on the AR-15 effect the way an individual shoots it similarly to the grip angle on a pistol? What I'm talking about is say... the Tango Down Battle Grip vs. the MIAD grip. The Tango Down looks(and if I'm totally wrong, I apologize in advance, because I don't have the two, nor have I had a chance to handle both) like it resembles a Glock style grip angle, and the MIAD more of a 1911.
Does this make a Glock shooter more comfortable with the Tango Down, and a 1911 shooter more comfortable with a MIAD or similar grip? Am I out of my mind?

aus71383
25 April 2008, 19:09
It shouldn't matter near as much with a rifle as it does with a pistol. Being comfortable helps a lot - but you can learn to be "comfortable" with discomfort (like the old A2 grips). I have a Tango Down grip on my AR - I carry a 1911. I see what you mean about the angles and stuff, but the buttstock in your shoulder and cheek on the stock is going to matter a lot more than the shape of the grip in my opinion.

Austin

TigerStripe
25 April 2008, 23:23
Pistol grips are an extremely subjective - personal preference thing. I like the Ergo grip and the MIAD. I don't have anywhere near the trigger time on a MIAD as I do the Ergo so the Ergo seems more "natural" to me than the MIAD. Once I get more time with the MIAD it may become as natural feeling as the Ergo. I have a Tango Down in my box of parts (okay, one of my boxes of parts) and it will probably go on my next build. Welcome to the board and the disease...

TS

Toothchipper
10 June 2008, 22:59
I agree with TigerStripe, I just put an Ambi Ergo Grip on my AR-15 and the difference is like night and day, feels like the weapon is now an extention of my hand-like it should be.

BRD Jerm
11 June 2008, 21:12
i prefer the feel of the Ergo,but the MIAD has much better storage and doesnt feel bad at all to me.

JTrusty
11 June 2008, 21:30
I prefer the size and fit of the G27 grip personally.

http://photos.gearsector.com/galleries/Carbine%20Images/g27_01.jpg

I find that with any other grip, my hand tends to "creep" up the grip until it settles into an awkward position that doesn't provide a proper
length of pull for my trigger finger.

However, as others have already mentioned, grips are extremely subjective. You need to find one that fits you best or get comfortable being
uncomfortable. [:D]

TigerStripe
11 June 2008, 21:47
The least uncomfortable one is the stock A2 grip. IMO...

TS

Charles Daly
11 June 2008, 22:05
We like the Ergo ambi in the soft rubber ahd the MIAD with the enhaced trigger guard built in. We've already used the Ergo in our D-M4LX and we intend to use the MIAD in our new Lightweight builds that should be announced along with our first middies any day now.

m24shooter
13 June 2008, 14:52
I used to put the Hogue HandAll over my A2 grips. Just about perfect with a Gapper.
Then I went with the MIAD, and tried out a TD at about the same time.
I now use MIADs and nothing else. On precision rigs I use the largest backstrap, and the standard backstrap on all others. I used the integral trigger guard version across the board.
The MIAD is just about perfect my big pasty Mick hands, although I wish there was a way to make it a little wider.

TigerStripe
13 June 2008, 19:47
although I wish there was a way to make it a little wider.

I'm sure they'll do that some day...

TS

BRD Jerm
13 June 2008, 22:53
i recently put a Handall on my MIAD...i like the rubber tacky feel on my grips.

m24shooter
14 June 2008, 06:55
I like it too. They just had a way of getting torn up too easily.

tac40
14 June 2008, 09:07
World Wide Ordnance Commando Grip, I don't know if you guys seen or used one of their grips but for me this has worked out well. I've put one on my depart issued Colt M4 and on a personal Colt. The back of the grip makes the difference for me, allows a better hold, without too much of the finger groves. Very close to the Ergo grips. I like the Magul grips but haven't gotten around to buying one yet.

Stickman
15 June 2008, 11:28
Some new things are coming out soon in the land of grips... We should be able to comment more in a pretty short period of time.

Mantis
15 June 2008, 11:45
Some new things are coming out soon in the land of grips... We should be able to comment more in a pretty short period of time.

Well, that's good news. I'm going to wait to see your reports before I order my next grip. [:)]

TigerStripe
15 June 2008, 21:37

I think I know what you're talking about. I plan on getting my hands on at least one....

TS

Custom-X_Sponjah
16 June 2008, 07:55
I really like my Hogue Grip.
Says RRA on a STAG Rifle....

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k160/topher63/leftyEO2-1.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k160/topher63/leftyEO.jpg

CXS