PDA

View Full Version : 300 blackout or 458 socom

cbarker777
1 June 2012, 04:30
so I want to build another ar but this time in a large caliber like 300 blackout or 458 socom. I just don't know for sure which one I want. what are the pros and cons of each. can you reasonably suppress a 458 socom I know sons of guns did it but what other company makes a suppressor for it. I know I can get a suppressor for 300 but that is not my only consideration. mostly I just want other opinions on the two rounds and what you would do.

todd.k
1 June 2012, 07:22
What will you be doing with it?

cbarker777
1 June 2012, 10:05
Just target mostly but I want a rifle that has stoping power if I need it. I may hunt with it some.

Paulo_Santos
1 June 2012, 13:41
Just target mostly but I want a rifle that has stoping power if I need it. I may hunt with it some.

Have you considered the 6.5 or 6.8? Neither the 300 BLK or the 458, are target rounds. I may even stick with the 5.56 and just get some Barnes 62 or 70 GR TSX for hunting if it is legal where you live to use .223.

Stickman
2 June 2012, 11:12

In that case I would certainly go with the 300BLK if it were me.

cbarker777
2 June 2012, 22:50
Well I guess I will start with getting my lower and then doing the forms for a SBR. Then I will decide what I want to do to it. I may start with the 300BLK and then just do another upper as a 458 SOCOM latter when I have the money. Is there any negatives to just changing the upper and not doing a whole new build. Also with the 458 can you do a collapsible stock and would it be the same buffer.

TehLlama
4 June 2012, 17:47
I know what this is - I'm walking into a BLK subforum and doing this, but:

Have you considered 70gr TSX in this magical caliber called 5.56x45? Cheap practice rounds, easy to find match rounds, and up through 300lb hogs a good Barnes bullet can do wonders.

The BLK will be way ahead of the 458 for tons of reasons (mostly magazines, 30 cal suppressors suck less, and mostly there are better construction bullets in the weight ranges for 300BLK).

If you are looking at suppressed SBR, then you absolutely would want to consider .300BLK (and completely ignore 458), go with one of the 6" 7.62mm cans (SDN-7 or the SF Micro7) and go with a nice, cute, short upper (something like the AAC/KAC URX3 comes to mind). Especially on DI suppressed SBRs (which are awesome), expect to have just one buffer you need to use to make it run ideally, so swapping buffers when swapping uppers as needed is something worth getting used to.
Even the 5.56 uppers with those cans perform pretty well in double stamp form too, so selecting a suppressor is one of the key requirements. Anything less than double stamp configuration and the 5.56 uppers longer than 10" are more than adequate and usually a better proposition than a different caliber, but that one niche is where 300BLK can actually be superiour.

todd.k
5 June 2012, 08:13
Depending on the state 22 caliber centerfire may not be legal for hunting deer, and terminal performance out of short barrels is a good reason to look at some of the larger than 5.56 caliber options.

Lot's of good options for a 30 cal silencer, with the 458 you would be limited to a custom silencer as far as I know.

You can use multiple uppers on your SBR, other than not being able to shoot both at once it's a great option.

TehLlama
8 June 2012, 08:47
SBR the lower, then run a 5.56 SBR upper and a .300BLK upper sounds like a better proposition. You can have both be completely effective uppers, they can even share the same can. A VLTOR A5 on that lower can give you much bigger flexibility on the upper, especially if you're running something like a switchblock on a part-time suppressed upper - you can get to where you just hot swap the uppers as needed, and if you configure the uppers identically, then you have two uppers that are nearly identical, both perform, and the only thing to worry about then is making sure you don't feed either one a magazine with the wrong ammunition.