PDA

View Full Version : Savage dumps 300 BLK on poor accuracy.

markm
1 June 2012, 08:39
This is Classic. [:D]

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2012/05/savage-cancels-300-aac-blackout-carbine-project/

Paulo_Santos
1 June 2012, 08:57
Not a big surprise. Savage is big on accuracy and the 300 BLK isn't exactly the most accurate due to the huge jump to the lands.

BC98
1 June 2012, 16:28
Interesting but not new...

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/04/foghorn/savage-scraps-300-blk-rifle/

Stickman
2 June 2012, 11:02
300BLK is known for very good accuracy in super sonic loadings, not in subsonic. I don't see anything new about this, there is plenty of ammo out there which isn't accurate.

TehLlama
4 June 2012, 17:51
A tighter twist might have helped, but I'm surprised they wouldn't have delineated the line between a much longer version for sonic loads, and a shorter suppressor ready version that may have had a wildly different barrel... Or maybe they couldn't get the latter configuration sorted even limiting the scope of the rifle to that role.

markm
5 June 2012, 06:21
I wonder if the 300 is hard to get bullet concentricity with.... I mean... a buddy bought me a box of Subsonics because he and the guy in the gun store were LAUGHING at the massive bullet runout. They rolled the ammo on the counter and it looked like boomerangs.

todd.k
5 June 2012, 07:54
I guess it's a matter of perspective. It's factory subsonic. Available to all the non handloaders out there, that outnumber us handloaders by a wide margin. It doesn't claim to be "match" ammo.
For perspective how does 300 BLK subsonic accuracy stack up against other caliber factory available subsonic loads?

You do need to make subsonic very consistent for accuracy. A lot of good handloaders have a hard time getting really exceptional groups (by supersonic standards), but I don't see 300 BLK subs as a target round anyway. The practical range is very limited by drop, and terminal ballistics if shooting anything but paper. Subsonic is for fun shooting and fairly short range quiet varmint control. Accuracy is fine for those uses and I don't see a reason to pay more for match quality subs if they were available.

markm
5 June 2012, 08:22
300BLK is known for very good accuracy in super sonic loadings, not in subsonic.

The sub is where the "value" (perceived albeit) is for this round. If you have to go super to achieve accuracy, the entire premise crumbles.

I'm just in an accuracy mode right now.... A long gun that isn't accurate doesn't reconcile in my head right now.

Stickman
10 June 2012, 23:36
The sub is where the "value" (perceived albeit) is for this round. If you have to go super to achieve accuracy, the entire premise crumbles.

I'm just in an accuracy mode right now.... A long gun that isn't accurate doesn't reconcile in my head right now.

I certainly won't argue your opinion, as you are more than entitled to it. I don't get that enamored with the subsonics, but that is me. If you do, that is all good.