PDA

View Full Version : Hope I didn't screw up...

Thermal
2 June 2012, 08:35
I bought a Magpul handguard for one of my AR's. I accidentally purchased the midlength instead of the carbine length. I realized this as soon as I pulled the damn thing out of the box. Instead of returning it, I decided to put it on my .308. No big deal, right? What the fuck ever dude... Actually, It wasn't that bad. I just shaved and/or filed down parts of the handguard that didn't fit just right checking, time and again to make sure there was a proper fit. About an hour into this and not being able to see what was preventing the guard from dropping in, I (in my infinite wisdom and utter frustration) decided "hey, why not take the gas block off, install guard then reinstall the gas block?" So it was. Should I be worried about anything pertaining to the gas block and tube?

Paulo_Santos
2 June 2012, 09:23
What kind of gas block is on there? If it is a standard front sight base that uses pins, you should be fine. If you have a regular gas block, I'd be concerned with the gas hole being partially blocked.

Thermal
2 June 2012, 10:35
That's exactly my concern. Is there an easy way to check other than taking it to the range? I'm guessing not.

Paulo_Santos
2 June 2012, 10:53
That's exactly my concern. Is there an easy way to check other than taking it to the range? I'm guessing not.

Can you tell if the gas block is in the same exact spot, or has it moved? The gas block has a large hole to compensate for misalignment so you might be ok. The best way to check is to shoot it.

Stickman
2 June 2012, 11:10

Check that your gas tube is perfectly straight inside your upper receiver.... if its not, you certainly didn't put it back together correctly. Without knowing if it used pins or screws, its hard for us to know what you have going on right now.

Thermal
2 June 2012, 15:14
The gas block uses two screws. It's seems to be aligned correctly. (i.e., straight down into the receiver.) I think I'll mark where it sits right now, take it off again, remove guards and see where it sits then.

Thermal
9 June 2012, 19:21
Functioned perfectly. 100 rnds downrange, not a single hiccup.

Stickman
10 June 2012, 23:33
Cool, thanks for the update.

Thermal
22 June 2012, 09:08
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g166/Dioso/308jpg-1.jpg