PDA

View Full Version : Almost there.

nub
4 June 2012, 06:27
This is my 4th overall rifle, but the first I'm putting together myself any suggestions are more than welcomed.

Handguard: Currently looking at Vltor ”piggy back” CASV open to suggestions.

Sights: I'm liking the diamond head sights

Optic: EOTech EXPS2

Grip: Magpul + grip

Stock: Magpul UBR

Barrel: I have not bought or chose a barrel yet, looking 16” or 14.5 with perm hider...

LPK/Trigger: Spikes LPK with Nickle Boron trigger.

Buffer: Spikes buffer tube and buffer.

BCG: The BCG I'm waiting on until I pick a barrel.

Upper Rec: Vltor MUR-1

Lower Rec: Seekins Gen II

Magazine: Magpul PMag

Charging Handle: BCM Gunfighter

So far I have everything BUT the

BCG
Barrel
BUIS
Rail/Handguard.

Hatter
4 June 2012, 08:09
If you're going for sniper rifle you have gone in the wrong direction. If you were going for something else you might not be too far off but you need to let us know intent and purpose to provide any valuable criticism.

nub
4 June 2012, 08:30
Intended use would be defensive multipurpose protection carbine.

FortTom
4 June 2012, 09:17
I can understand your delimma. I just assembled a rifle on a LMT Lower, and LMT Upper. Thing was, that throughout my military carreer, and my other privately owned AR's, I decided to do one more, and possibly, last build. (I should say assembly, which would be more accurate). I only started this last project on a whim, because I got one heck of a deal on a new complete LMT lower.

So, I tried to define what the heck I was doing/building for myself. Retired from military, and never had any LEO experience. I used to think that I needed the baddest LEO/SWAT/MIL/Tacticool rifles that I could afford. But this one had me stumped. I finally said the heck with it, and built almost a "minimalist" rifle than could be used for shooting targets at the range all day, which in reality is all that I'd probably ever do, because not being active dudy or S.W.A.T., contractor or whatever. Since I can't carry an AR concealed, my go to weapon in all likelyhood would be one of a few pistols that I carry.

In the event of a social/economic/catastrophic/cataclysmic fall of society, if I had a "special needs" weapon, I've got others. But it's almost about zero possibility, that I'll ever need to breach a house, and absolutely zero that I'd have to fight with a team in a spec op's mission. No need for me personally to go NFA and get another SBR, suppressor, or anything else, so that was a no-brainer, just leave that stuff off. So I built a fairly minimalist rifle that can be used primarily for what it will likely be used for, killing paper and beer cans. Went with a Spickes Tactical (second one) M16 Nickle Boron Bolt, PRI Gas buster CH, Centurion C4 rails, Burris MTAC scope, Burris P.E.P.R quick release mounts, and ARMS folding BIUS. Am waiting for Wilson Combat 3G trigger assy.

Weapon fired and functioned first shot, and still hassn't FTF or FTE and is a breeze to clean the NiB BCU. It's still light enough to carry all day, and doesn't have $3K's worth of special needs/tactical stuff hanging off everywhere, and I can use it as a range gun, and it would also work perfectly as a SD weapon if it had to be pressed into service for that. As an aside, I got a good laugh at the range I frequent the most when this 400lb dude show's me his special breaching flash suppresor, and uninvited lecture on the use of steel penetraating ammo for breaching rebar and such. I'm quite certain that he's not military/SWAT/etc..nor has he ever been. Also, the only redundant accessory he didn't have hanging on that weapon was a grenade launcher.

My point is, that it can be frustrating to over think building your rifle. Just be honest with yourself, if need be make a list of any circumstances you can realistically think of that you'd ever forsee using this rifle for, and go from there. Everyone in this forum, especially those still active/reserve mil or LEO, contractor, DoD, etc are going to have different needs than myself, and will build theirs accordingly. There are so many options available nowday's, that you can die of old age before you ever think it through. On this last rifle, I pretty much went the minimilist route, have no need to have every single tacticool attachment hanging off of every orifice of the weapon, and ended up with a rifle that I truly like and all pretty well under 2K. So don't drive yourself nuts trying to over think it. Your needs may be totally different than mine, like I suggested make a finite list of what you'll really be needing it for, and go from there. Good luck and I wish you well, whatever you decide.

FT

5pins
4 June 2012, 09:47
As far as BCG’s get a BCM, LMT or DD.

This barrel should do nicely.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=29320/avs%7CManufacturer_1=DANIEL%20DEFENSE/Product/M4-STRIPPED-BARREL

zero7one
4 June 2012, 10:36
Since this is your 4th overall rifle, are you going to stick with the same caliber that you already have, or have you considered going with something different, like 300AAC Blackout?

nub
4 June 2012, 11:09
Well I have 2 chambered in 556 and one in 7.62x39(ew) and the current project. that's why I have not decided on a BCG or barrel. I haven't really looked into other rounds due to lack of knowledge with ammo. I've considered other rounds. If i were to go 300AAC route what's the difference vs. 556?

markm
4 June 2012, 11:31
If i were to go 300AAC route what's the difference vs. 556?

Shorter range, less accurate. But can work with Subsonic loads and still cycle the action. Kind of a niche round that a lot of manufacturers would like to see mainstream.

TehLlama
4 June 2012, 17:39
UBR only really makes sense on heavier rifles, not that the CASV isn't very heavy for what it is/does.

I'd stick with 5.56, you'll be happier in the long run with one caliber to support and one set of parts if possible. Unless the other caliber is fulfilling a role 5.56 can't, it's just needless expense (i.e. unless you're looking at a double stamp unit, 300BLK doesn't really stand out for the cost). 300BLK can be accurate (expensive barrels), but the only really intelligent loads are still supersonic defense loads, as subs are leaving too much velocity on the table.

Go 16" barrel, and spend money on a quality one. Too many people spend tons of cash on stuff like the Seekins receivers and MUR's, and then put mediocre barrels on them - wrong way around. LMT, DD, BCM, Colt for the BCG, in that order for preference. Function is all the same, I just listed them in order of cost.
I'd consider looking past the Spike's trigger and buffer, there are better ones. The ACT is marginally better, for less cost, and sticking with CMT's H or H2 buffer is probably a better bet. I haven't been a fan of my ST-2 buffer really, a good concept, but it winds up not being helpful.

nub
5 June 2012, 04:04
I've done a ton of reading on barrels in the past week. I've seen them from $140-500 and I'm looking at spending no more than 350 on a stripped barrel... should I save a bit more to buy a better barrel? or is 350 in the mediocre range?

5pins
5 June 2012, 09:46
For the purpose you stated you don’t need to spend $350. You are going to have an EoTech on it not a magnified optic so I don’t see any benefit in spending more then you need to on a barrel. I also see no need for the MUR but since you already have one….

nub
5 June 2012, 17:52
Why do you see no need for the MUR? I'm sure any upper would have done fine.

5pins
5 June 2012, 18:18
Because it doesn’t do anything that a standard upper will do for less. But since you already have it then you may as well use it.

nub
5 June 2012, 18:50
I bought the MUR for looks... I like ”box-ish” look... I guess its a dumb reason to spend the extra money...

TehLlama
8 June 2012, 08:39
It's only possible for that to be 'dumb' if you fail to spend enough money on important operating parts - barrel, BCG, Buffer, Spring, trigger/LPK. They needn't all be expensive, but a crap one of those will mean a poor performing rifle.

In that price range, something like a WOA or Rainier upper ( in stainless) or a Centurion CHF lightweight barrel with a VTAC Extreme handguard, or DD MFR rail would be impressively accurate and light, and provide similar utility to the CASV (smooth bottom and sides with modular panels). If you want fully railed, the DD LIte and Centurion C4 are the two best that come to mind.

nub
9 June 2012, 12:03
I have looked at different rails systems.... All my rifles have the fixed sight post I want to try a low-pro gas block hidden under the rail and put some diamond head sights on the rifle.... I haven't decided on a BCG yet... I've looked a few and have it natured down to LMT or Young Manufacturing... Any experiences with either? I have BCM BCGi n my other rifles.