PDA

View Full Version : Noveske Recce Sling Options...

adrenaline151
29 April 2008, 13:08
To use a single point sling, the way the gear sector slings are shown on their site, is it necessary to use a burnsed style loop? Can a burnsed loop be installed on the Noveske, where the castle nut is staked, or would it be a better to use a MI HD Quick Detach End Plate Sling Adapter? Or is it ok to use the QD attatchments or sling loop holes on the VLTOR carbine stock or a CTR? I think I would like to have a one point sling... what are the benefits of one vs. two point?

Paulo_Santos
29 April 2008, 17:21
Hope This Helps:

INTRO:
I am not here to tell you what Sling you should use. Instead, I will provide the Pro's and Con's of different types of Slings and let you decide for yourself.

I. SLING TYPES:
A. 1-Point Slings.
B. 2-Point Slings.
C. 3-Point Slings.

II. SLINGS:

A. 1-Point Slings.

1. Uses:
a. Great for entry teams because they are the fastest for transitioning from strong to weak side.

2. Pro’s:
a. Fastest for transitioning from strong to weak side.
b. Simple to use.
c. Does not get caught up on gear.

3. Con’s:
a. No support on front of weapon makes it hard to run with.
b. Can’t tighten up sling to reduce sight picture wobble like a 2-Point sling for firing in a non-supported position such as standing up or Kneeling.
c. Not as comfortable for long walks.

4. Examples:
a. Gear Sector ASP Sling.
b. Specter Gear MOUT and HST Slings.

B. Quick-Adjust 2-Point Slings:

1. Uses:
a. Best all-around sling.
b. Ideal for Patrol Rifles and Combat Rifles.

2. Pro’s:
a. The most comfortable of all slings.
b. Very fast adjustments for tightening and loosening.
c. If tightened, greatly reduces sight picture wobble for firing in a non-supported position such as standing up or Kneeling. (All-Purpose Sling.).
d. Much easier to run with and/or transition to handgun.
e. Simple to use.

3. Con’s:
a. Not as fast as 1-Point for transitioning from strong to weak side.
b. Can get caught on gear.

4. Combat and All-Purpose 2-Point Slings:
I have used both the V-Tac and the VCAS and although they are both quick adjustable 2-Point slings, they are a little different. I would consider the VCAS and Gear Secotr GS-2p Carbine Slings a Combat 2-Point Sling while the V-Tac and the Gear Sector GS-2p Rifle Sling as an All-Purpose 2-Point Sling. Here are the differences:

a. Combat 2-Point Sling (VCAS and GS-2P Carbine):
The Combat 2-Point slings like the VCAS and the GS-2P Carbine slings are best used when worn loose to allow transitioning from strong to weak side. Depending on how you have the sling set-up, the only negative is that since there is only a little bit of slack, you can't tighten the sling down and use it as an aid to reduce wobble.

b. All-Purpose Sling (V-Tac and GS-2P Rifle):
The All-Purpose 2-Point Slings like the V-Tac and the Gear Sector GS-2P Rifle slings can do everything that the Combat slings do, but they can also be used as a shooting aid. All you have to do is pull the strap tighter and it will reduce the wobble, which will help with accuracy when shooting from the standing, kneeling, or prone-unsupported position. The best way to install an All-Purpose sling is to install the front part of the sling all the way forward on the rail/handguard and to attach the rear section of the sling as far to the rear as possible on the stock.

5. Examples:
a. Viking Tactics Wide Padded Sling.
b. Gear Sector GS-2P Rifle and Carbine slings.
c. Vicker’s Combat Sling.

C. 3-Point Slings:

1. Uses:
a. Good all-around sling.
b. Good for Patrol Rifles and Combat Rifles.

2. Pro’s:
a. Very Comfortable.
b. Faster than a 2-Point for transitions, but not as fast as 1-Point Sling.
c. Much easier to run with and/or transition to handgun.

3. Con’s:
a. Can be complicated for some.
b. Can’t tighten up sling to reduce sight picture wobble like a 2-Point sling for firing in a non-supported position such as standing up or Kneeling.
c. Can get caught on gear.

4. Examples:
a. Specter CST and SOP Slings.

III: CONCLUSION:
The 2-Point sling is the best all-around sling and will work for just about any application. 2-Point slings adjust very fast, greatly reduce sight picture wobble when tightened, and can be carried for a long period of time without becoming uncomfortable. A 2-Point sling has all of the positives of a 3-Point and none of the negatives. I have used and tested all of the above mentioned slings and my favorite sling is the Viking Tactics Wide Padded Sling, which I use on my personal AR and at work.

TigerStripe
29 April 2008, 18:54
Three points slings are a PITA. They can get in the way off the bolt release and charging handle. I'd go with a single point or two point.

TS

Stickman
29 April 2008, 19:19
The two point adjustable slings are the way to go unless you have a specific need for a one point. Paulo spelled it out pretty well in his above post.

On a side note, which one did you go with?

adrenaline151
29 April 2008, 19:46
If you're asking which rifle I went with, I ordered the Recce Low Profile, and I've ordered a CTR, MIAD, PRI Gasbuster and a few PMAGS and Ranger Plates to match, all in Dark Earth... so I'm trying to decide on a sling and optics, and looking for a good deal on some decent ammo. Training is relatively scarce in my neck of the woods, but there are some classes in July(a couple of hundred miles away...). So I might have to postpone optics to pay for some classes, but then again, I might just work some extra weekends :P

SHIHAN
30 April 2008, 11:19
Paul I didnt know there was a Gear Sector 2pt Rifle sling?

JTrusty
30 April 2008, 15:15

Its in the pipe.;)

Paulo_Santos
30 April 2008, 15:20

It actually isn't out yet. I'm just eagerly waiting for it to come out so I can try it. Since I live in NJ I have to use fixed stocks on my personal AR's so I need the extra slack, which the Rifle length version will have.

Stickman
30 April 2008, 15:32
If you're asking which rifle I went with, I ordered the Recce Low Profile, and I've ordered a CTR, MIAD, PRI Gasbuster and a few PMAGS and Ranger Plates to match, all in Dark Earth... so I'm trying to decide on a sling and optics, and looking for a good deal on some decent ammo. Training is relatively scarce in my neck of the woods, but there are some classes in July(a couple of hundred miles away...). So I might have to postpone optics to pay for some classes, but then again, I might just work some extra weekends :P

Its hard to find good courses in some areas of the country, which can make it difficult for people to get polish the basics, or move on to more advanced work.

The Noveske RECCE is a solid choice, I think you should be quite happy with your selection of parts. Have you choose an optic, if so, which one did you go with?

adrenaline151
30 April 2008, 17:53
Haven't decided on an optic... have plenty of time... Looking at a Eotech 557 with 3X or 4X FTS mount.... or aimpoint with similar FTS magnifier or an ACOG. I think I'm going to have to have a look at them all, though, so it might take a while to decide. Maybe some of the other shooters at the courses will have some options for me to try out, or at least look over(although I would like to have an optic before I go take the courses)... I'm leaning towards the 557 w/ 4X FTS. What would you recommend? Is the magnification worth the money(or even needed) for HD or classes and maybe someday some sort of competition?
Anyone wanna start an Eotech vs. Aimpoint vs. ACOG thread? I looked on AR-15, but I'm always skeptic about that place, everyone on there seems to have the right answer. I just wanna know from someone who has used them all, if their lives depend on them, that's all the better...

Paulo_Santos
30 April 2008, 19:00
For 0-100 yards, it is hard to beat the speed of the Aimpoint or EOTech. We zero ours at 100 yards and just learn the holdovers. The 50 yard zero is also good, but you have to remember holdovers and holdunders with the 50 yard zero. The 100 yard zero is better for 0-100 yards (LE scenerios) while the 50 yard zero is better for longer range applications like the military.

The magnifiers are great for target identification, but unless you are shoting past 100 yards, you are kind of wasting your money. The ACOGs are nice for the medium range work, but not that great for short range work. So it all boils down to what you plan on using your AR for.

Stickman
30 April 2008, 19:08
Anyone wanna start an Eotech vs. Aimpoint vs. ACOG thread?

Go ahead and start a new thread on it. I think you will get a lot more feedback that way. I've got my own list of pros and cons of each, especially when you start factoring in magnification....