PDA

View Full Version : Magpul MOE Rifle Stock

M. Gale
25 June 2012, 19:42
Is this thing any closer to reality? The Magpul website still says "Coming Summer 2012".

Creeky73
25 June 2012, 19:45
which was changed from "Coming Spring of 2012" so I am expecting it some time in 2023. Just because they all know I am waiting on it badly, just like they did me on the rifle length hand guard.

markm
26 June 2012, 06:46
I keep checking Brownells to see if it magically appears as "in stock". I saved an email from RichFitz from when this was in conception. I think it's almost 3 years old now!

Paulo_Santos
26 June 2012, 09:02
When will someone come out with a medium length fixed stock for us guys living in the commie states. Something shorter than an A1, but longer than a shorty.

M. Gale
26 June 2012, 11:09
When will someone come out with a medium length fixed stock for us guys living in the commie states. Something shorter than an A1, but longer than a shorty.

Dreamer...

markm
26 June 2012, 12:24
Something build around the A5 RE would be incredible. That would incorporate the rifle spring, but still net you a shorter stock than the A1.

Paulo_Santos
26 June 2012, 12:37
I actually called up Vltor years ago to see if they would be interested, but no luck. I'll try again one of these days.

markm
26 June 2012, 13:29
Vltor is so busy. We went down and toured the place when Kino was working there. Huge production floors.... not like the usual AZ fly by night operations we normally have here. It'd really take an aftermarket product that fit their RE to get it done. If I knew how to prototype something like that, I'd do it myself in a minute.... then get a pic of Costa holding it!

M. Gale
26 June 2012, 13:56
I think you would need a shorter fixed stock receiver extension. The receiver end plate and extension nut necessary to mount the A5 receiver extension creates a problem.

markm
27 June 2012, 06:16
I think you would need a shorter fixed stock receiver extension. The receiver end plate and extension nut necessary to mount the A5 receiver extension creates a problem.

For sure. It'd be a whole project in itself.

skullworks
27 June 2012, 06:34
I think you would need a shorter fixed stock receiver extension. The receiver end plate and extension nut necessary to mount the A5 receiver extension creates a problem. What problem is that?

Tatatatatatapatalk 2

markm
27 June 2012, 08:41
The stock would have to be molded around the RE nut and plate which is different geometry than the standard rifle RE.

skullworks
27 June 2012, 11:02
Okay, I'm sorry, I thought the discussion had split into two, where you and M.Gale were talking about somehow permanently affixing a stock (of any design) to an A5 RE. Actually, unless there's some legal requirement for it, the stock could just start behind the RE nut. Yes, it would be different than a regular stock, but it wouldn't be that difficult to design. Actually I see three ways of doing it using the A5 RE and castle nut:
Have the stock lock into the already existing adjustment "notches" in the A5 RE and use the VLTOR castle nut and end plate
Use an end plate such as the Noveske QD sling adapter (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=31766/Product/AR15-M16-QD-SLING-ADAPTER-SWIVEL), where you either have an expanding locking mechanism locking into the plate, or you have something coming out through the plate
Use a custom end plate onto which the stock can be fastened
Obviously you could always use the adjustment notches for added stability no matter which end plate solution you decide on.

Just spitballing of course.

Paulo_Santos
27 June 2012, 11:48
I don't think it would be too hard. Just take a Rifle Length extension and shorten it up. Then take the Vltor rifle stock and shorten it up some and make it look more like the A5 stock. Use the A5 buffer and spring.

markm
27 June 2012, 12:57
I don't think it would be too hard. Just take a Rifle Length extension and shorten it up.

You'd have to shorten the rifle RE at the rear. Which would mean welding the cap back on. Not sure if Rifle REs are 7000 series alluminum, but I don't think you can weld on 7000 series. Also, the project would be optimized, in my opinnion, by getting rid of the threaded piece on the rear of the RE because it's more L.O.P. required.

Fitting something to the A5 RE that has no threaded end cap would yield a shorter LOP.