PDA

View Full Version : 77 grain SMK frag fest!

markm
9 July 2012, 06:12
Amazing...

I shot this 77 grain SMK through 15" of water. The big lead booger bottom center penetrated the deepest and stuck into my phone book backstop. All the frags here in the pic weighed 73 grains... so most of the bullet is recovered and in this pic.

This was a hand load out of a 14.5 barrel at about 5 yards. For a plain old water jug test, this bullet offered the best penetration and frag of anything I've ever tested.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/77SMK.jpg

Paulo_Santos
9 July 2012, 08:50
They are one of my favorites. Doc is not a big fan of them because most SMK bullets penetrate a little too much before they start to tumble/frag, but I spoke with a Marine that actually used the MK262 in combat and he said they were the most devistating 5.56 bullets he ever used. He said the damage was nasty.

markm
9 July 2012, 09:17
It did indeed penetrate deeper than I expected. I'd run these for defense in a heartbeat. Next pair of good jugs I get, and I'm trying the 69 grain SMK to compare to this one.

skd_tactical
9 July 2012, 12:09
The Mk262 rounds are the best rounds I have ever been issued. i have only been issued them in AFG for some reason. I'm sure there is a reason, I just never bothered to look into it. Thanks for the pics. I always mean to pick up one of those ballistic jelly kits for fun but never get around to it.

SOS

markm
9 July 2012, 12:18
I always mean to pick up one of those ballistic jelly kits for fun but never get around to it.

If I got the Jelly thing, I'd never do anything else. :) I love seeing what bullets do like that.

Paulo_Santos
9 July 2012, 15:28
It did indeed penetrate deeper than I expected. I'd run these for defense in a heartbeat. Next pair of good jugs I get, and I'm trying the 69 grain SMK to compare to this one.

Should perform almost as good.