PDA

View Full Version : MB556K install

Hilo71
14 July 2012, 10:33
This maybe a dumb question, but I picked up a surefire MB556K (used like new). It has all the shims, etc, but I notice it has no (obvious) wrench flats near the threads. Does one use a strap wrench to torque it down?
Any advice will be welcome-

mlosi762
16 July 2012, 09:32
I have the same muzzle break on mine, and it was a bit tricky to install properly. The flat sides near the front of the break are where you apply the wrench. Since you acquired it used, as far as the shims go, do you have the paper cut out timing wheel that comes with it? That will help you determine which shims, and how many of them to use. I cant remember how many shims come with it, but if you are missing anything, contact Surefire, their customer service is top notch.

markm
16 July 2012, 10:14
That paper wheel is a complete ass ache. I remember doing one of those for a guy. He was there and insisted on using the farking thing. Should have made him wait in the car out front.

Stickman
16 July 2012, 15:11
This maybe a dumb question, but I picked up a surefire MB556K (used like new). It has all the shims, etc, but I notice it has no (obvious) wrench flats near the threads. Does one use a strap wrench to torque it down?
Any advice will be welcome-

These things work stunningly well.

drew
16 July 2012, 16:05
Strap wrench works very well, out of curiosity, does the surefire come with just the shims, or a crush or peel washer as well?

markm
17 July 2012, 05:56
Just shims.

mlosi762
17 July 2012, 07:46
That paper wheel is a complete ass ache. I remember doing one of those for a guy. He was there and insisted on using the farking thing. Should have made him wait in the car out front.

Yes, it is an ASS ACHE, 100% agree.

AR-10
20 July 2012, 10:08
Surefire muzzle devices come with one chamfered washer and a shim pack to "clock" the device in the correct position, and the wrench flats are at the tip.

You don't have to use the shims, the instructions explain both shimmed and shimless procedures.

I went shimless:

http://i49.tinypic.com/34ez2fd.jpg

If you don't have instructions and can't find a copy online, shoot me an e-mail and I can scan one for you.

Stickman
21 July 2012, 10:38
Looks good.

AR-10
22 July 2012, 07:55
Thanks Stick, I'm very pleased with this brake.

I'd be even more pleased if I had a Surefire Mini to go with it, I'm thinking about doin' the NFA trust thing.