PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 Rifle Test Quiz!

hoppy70
16 July 2012, 07:17
AR-15 Rifle Test Quiz

I am semi-retired and I am taking a self-passed and self-taught Firearms Armorers course. I have covered over 25 different firearms in this course and now I am on the AR-15 Rifle course which is my last firearm in the Armorers course.
I hope to become a part-time light Gunsmith in the future. I am now working part-time with a Gunsmith that has over 40 years’ experience. I have my CHL and my FFL.

There are many questions covering this firearm and I have answered them to the best of my ability but during my study and research I am having some problems with these quiz questions. Either I am not sure of the correct answer or I have conflicting answers.

Can you help me determine the correct answers for these quiz questions? Please correct my wrong answers!

Thanks for your help.

19. The receiver extension houses the
a) magazine
b) hammer
c) action spring
d) carrier key

20. What holds the upper receiver onto the lower receiver?
a) The receiver extension
b) The takedown pin and the pivot pin
c) The delta ring and the pivot pin
d) The delta ring and the takedown pin

21. By making which part heavier will cause the cyclic rate to be slower in full auto?
a) The delta ring
b) The buffer assembly
c) The receiver extension
d) The hammer
e) The disconnector

22. If the dust cover is closed and the gun is fired, the bolt carrier causes the dust cover to open - True or False?

23. The safeties on the full auto and the semi-auto versions of the rifle are identical - True or False?

24. If the bolt was stuck slightly rearward for whatever reason, what part was designed to help you to move the bolt forward into the locked up position?
a) The disconnector
b) The forward assist
c) The cam on the dust cover
d) The magazine follower
e) The bolt catch

25. What must you do in order to take the hand guard off of the gun?
a) Take off the buttstock
b) Rotate the delta ring clockwise
c) Pull the delta ring rearward
d) Push the delta ring forward

26. Caution must be used when you take the pistol grip off so that you don't lose which parts?
a) The safety detent and the safety detent spring
b) The takedown pin detent and the takedown detent spring
c) The magazine catch and the magazine catch spring
d) The buffer retainer and the buffer retainer spring

27. Caution must be used when you take the butt stock off so that you don't lose which parts?

28. With a solid Al/A2 style butt stock (non collapsible), which screw holds the stock onto the receiver extension?
a) The top screw
b) The bottom screw

29. The takedown pin detent's ends are always identical - True or False?

30. The wings of the charging handle fit into the recesses cut into the inside of the receiver - True or False?

31. The forward assist is held in by a roll pin - True or False?

32. Lead bullets can clog up the gas tube - True or False?

33. The barrel and the gas tube come off of the receiver all in one piece - True or False?

34. What part pushes the barrel into the receiver and holds it there?
a) The delta ring
b) The barrel nut
c) The hand guard cap
d) The receiver extension nut

35. The hammer should be cocked or uncocked when you drive out the hammer pin?
a) Cocked
b) Uncocked

36. What holds the buffer retainer and the buffer retainer spring down into the receiver?
a) The shoulder headle pin
b) The takedown pin
c) The receiver extension (action spring tube)
d) The lock lever

markm
16 July 2012, 08:00
19 = Action spring (the RE is the buffer tube)
22 = true - the carrier hits the metal piece on the inside of the dust cover when it moves forward or backward
23 = false - the safties are much different, the auto safety has grooves to operate the leg on the autosear.
25 = c. pull it re arward
26 = a - The safety/selector detent and spring are under the pistol grip.
31 = true - it's a roll pin on every AR I've ever owned.

FortTom
16 July 2012, 10:27
I believe #36 = A.
FT

markm
16 July 2012, 12:06
Negative, Ghostrider... the RE holds the buffer retainer pin and retainer pin spring.... you know... when you thread the RE into the lower and you have to push the retaining pin down until the RE just rests over the edge of the Retainer pin???

WarriorArms
16 July 2012, 13:01
33. The barrel and the gas tube come off of the receiver all in one piece - True or False?

The way I am reading this question, they are asking if the barrel and gas tube come off the "upper" receiver in one piece. If thats the case, then the answer is False

Stickman
16 July 2012, 15:49
AR-15 Rifle Test Quiz

Can you help me determine the correct answers for these quiz questions? Please correct my wrong answers!

Thanks for your help.

19. The receiver extension houses the
a) magazine
b) hammer
c) action spring also called main action spring
d) carrier key

20. What holds the upper receiver onto the lower receiver?
a) The receiver extension
b) The takedown pin and the pivot pin these are the only two things
c) The delta ring and the pivot pin
d) The delta ring and the takedown pin

21. By making which part heavier will cause the cyclic rate to be slower in full auto?
a) The delta ring
b) The buffer assembly Several different weights allows for tuning
c) The receiver extension
d) The hammer
e) The disconnector

22. If the dust cover is closed and the gun is fired, the bolt carrier causes the dust cover to open - True or False? The "bump" is popped open when the BCG moves against it in rearward travel.

23. The safeties on the full auto and the semi-auto versions of the rifle are identical - True or False? A FA version allows you to turn it farther, and when looked at, they are quite different.

24. If the bolt was stuck slightly rearward for whatever reason, what part was designed to help you to move the bolt forward into the locked up position?
a) The disconnector
b) The forward assist it interfaces with the teeth on the BC
c) The cam on the dust cover
d) The magazine follower
e) The bolt catch

25. What must you do in order to take the hand guard off of the gun?
a) Take off the buttstock
b) Rotate the delta ring clockwise
c) Pull the delta ring rearward it doesn't twist or press forward
d) Push the delta ring forward

26. Caution must be used when you take the pistol grip off so that you don't lose which parts?
a) The safety detent and the safety detent spring the detent engages the safety and the spring holds it in place with pressure. Removing the grip releases that tension.

27. Caution must be used when you take the butt stock off so that you don't lose which parts?
b) The takedown pin detent and the takedown detent spring these install from the back and lock in with the stock

28. With a solid Al/A2 style butt stock (non collapsible), which screw holds the stock onto the receiver extension?
a) The top screw The top threads into the RE, the bottom does not.
b) The bottom screw

29. The takedown pin detent's ends are always identical - True or False? Not from every company, but typically they are the same.

30. The wings of the charging handle fit into the recesses cut into the inside of the receiver - True or False? They lock against the outside of the upper receiver.

31. The forward assist is held in by a roll pin - True or False? With the pin removed, the FA comes out for replacement.

32. Lead bullets can clog up the gas tube - True or False? They can, but its not typical unless someone is shooting heavy amounts of .22 subcal.

33. The barrel and the gas tube come off of the receiver all in one piece - True or False? Poorly worded question, as the gas tube is pined into the gasblock, which is on the barrel. The gas tube is typically removed so you can turn the barrel nut, so I would guess they mean false for this question.

34. What part pushes the barrel into the receiver and holds it there?
a) The delta ring
b) The barrel nut Without the barrel nut there is nothing to stop it from falling out.
c) The hand guard cap
d) The receiver extension nut

35. The hammer should be cocked or uncocked when you drive out the hammer pin?
a) Cocked
b) Uncocked Either will work, but there is less pressure and wear this way.

36. What holds the buffer retainer and the buffer retainer spring down into the receiver?
a) The shoulder headle pin
b) The takedown pin
c) The receiver extension (action spring tube) This is why its alignment is important.
d) The lock lever

Answers in red with comments afterwards.

Stickman
16 July 2012, 15:51
For the most part, I think the above is pretty well laid out, and should be a good judge of working knowledge of the weapon system. This is better written than most AR15/ M16 armorer tests I've taken.

drew
16 July 2012, 16:17
I saw that you have posted different questions from thisu test on a different AR site.... just interested if you could email or post the rest of the questions? Ive enjoyed testing myself and finding my weak points on the AR platform.

markm
17 July 2012, 05:55

The way I am reading this question, they are asking if the barrel and gas tube come off the "upper" receiver in one piece. If thats the case, then the answer is False

Good point. That question is worded poorly.

Hatter
19 July 2012, 07:23
Good point. That question is worded poorly.

The hardest part about writing any test is in doing so without ambiguity. Having a preceding knowledge on a given topic makes this somewhat hard to do as the question / answer may be clear to you but not so for those learning the topic. Overall, this was the only question that made me confused about what was being asked. I would agree with Stick that it is a fairly good exercise.

markm
19 July 2012, 11:41
The hardest part about writing any test is in doing so without ambiguity. Having a preceding knowledge on a given topic makes this somewhat hard to do as the question / answer may be clear to you but not so for those learning the topic.

For sure... I'm guilty of this myself from time to time. I certainly wasn't ripping the test author...

Hatter
20 July 2012, 08:44
No worries. I didn't mean that comment to say you were.

I work for the North American subsidiary of a French hydraulics company. We have some technical evaluations and "tests" that we take on a yearly basis or so and some of the questions can't even be answered because of the language translation ambiguity. It really opened my eyes up to the difficulty of creating fair questions to be properly answered and judged.