PDA

View Full Version : Charles Daly Carbines

Stickman
30 April 2008, 16:32
WEVO currently has 2 different Charles Daly carbines that we will be reviewing, and giving our thoughts on. This thread should be as good of place as any to ask any questions that you may have regarding the Charles Daly line up of weapons. Michael Kassnar stops by here on a fairly regular basis, and can answer any tech questions, or give input on the upcoming lineup.

Feel free to fire away, and we will answer whatever we can. If you are looking for a specific picture, or question about a certain part, let us know and we will try to take care of you.

For now, here is a quick picture of the D-M4 Carbine.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/AR15%20Carbines%20II/IMG_3560%201028%20Stick.jpg

Stickman
30 April 2008, 20:01
Here is a picture of the D-M4LE carbine wearing a Brownells BUIS, and Aimpoint T-1 in an American Defense MFG mount.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Charles%20Daly%20Carbines/IMG_3548%201028%20Stick.jpg

TigerStripe
30 April 2008, 21:32
Great pics as usual, Stick! They look very good, the lines are very smooth. I'm hoping to look at one soon.

TS

UDT
1 May 2008, 06:20
Thanks, for the update. Nice pics.

Klutched
1 May 2008, 06:57
I just got back from Harrisburg PA, supporting the 56SBCT @ FTIG, I wish I had know about this guy, I would have checked him out.

Stickman
1 May 2008, 08:19
Great pics as usual, Stick! They look very good, the lines are very smooth. I'm hoping to look at one soon.

TS

One of the first things I noticed was that its one of the most even and smooth finishes I've seen on an AR15.

The second thing I noticed was as I cleared the weapon. The charging handle had a tight, but smooth and even travel. For people who have worked the charging handle on a Colt, then on a lower end series AR15, they will understand what I mean. Not all AR15s have the same "feel".

Initial impressions are often what start to form our opinions, and I am certainly no different in that respect. However, I should point out that I went through the entire weapon, and have been equally content in my findings. I'll try to get my initial thoughts written up with all the pictures today, and then we will move onto firing sequences of the T&E, which will start getting into the meat of things.

Stickman
1 May 2008, 20:09
The Charles Daly D-M4LE Guide is up.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=410

103m 95g
2 May 2008, 02:29
as always, Outstanding Stick.

Lancelot
7 May 2008, 20:59
I'm assuming the lower receiver extension is the "mil-spec" size/variety?

Any plans for any other barrel lengths?

How's the BCG look?

Charles Daly
9 May 2008, 02:04
I'm assuming the lower receiver extension is the "mil-spec" size/variety?

Any plans for any other barrel lengths?

How's the BCG look?

Lancelot,

The lower receiver extension on the D-M4 is a commercial tube with standard buffer while the D-M4LE is mil-spec with a "H" buffer.

We are planning a series of Lightweight builds that will have 14.5" barrels with permanently attached suppressors and after July 1st we will be able to start selling SBR's.

Stick will have to answer your question on how the BCG looks. I know he's over 1,500 rounds on one gun he has for T&E so perhaps he can comment on it, "before" and "after".

Thanks again,

Stickman
9 May 2008, 09:32
We are at 2010 rounds through the Charles Daly D-M4LE. The Bolt Carrier Group (BCG) is good to go, as it appears the rest of the carbine is as well.

I'll get pictures of the BCG up in a little bit, the staking pictures are already posted in the guide, but I was unhappy with the way the bolt pictures turned out, so I'll reshoot them.

Lancelot
9 May 2008, 11:36
Groovy. Thanks to you both.

Eric
9 May 2008, 13:25
We ran the D-M4LE hard. Over 2K rounds were put through it without issue. The reliability was almost boring. This carbine is put together right, using the right materials and I'm sure we will be hearing many more positive comments. It's good to go.

JAH-23
9 May 2008, 17:15
This is good to hear, especially the 14.5".

Stickman
10 May 2008, 12:12
This is good to hear, especially the 14.5".

I agree, I recently had an officer come to me who was tired of carrying a heavy barrel on the carbine that he uses for duty. I think a LW barrel in 14.5" will work nicely for a lot of people, especially those that carry it every day.

I've heard the comments of those people who say that if your HBAR is too heavy, you need to hit the gym. Those are the comments of people who aren't clearing buildings and doing extended work with their carbines on a regular basis. There is no question that a lighter carbine is easier to work with, and since the vast amount of carbines are not SBRs, the 14.5" LW becomes the next lightest configuration.

After touting the LW praise, I'll point out that I still run a 16" M4 profile barrel on my duty weapon, and yes, there are times that I wish I was running something lighter, especially when I'm doing a lot of one handed work with the carbine.

103m 95g
10 May 2008, 15:31
I was going to ask about the BUIS but saw ERIC's review. here
http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=419

Stickman
10 May 2008, 16:40
Here is another Charles Daly D-M4LE picture, this one is a little dressed up.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Charles%20Daly%20Carbines/IMG_4003%201028%20Stick.jpg

Stickman
11 May 2008, 06:22
The review for the D-M4LE has been completed to reflect a little over 2,000 rounds being put through it. The guide and review have been merged so all info in included in one link.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=410

JAH-23
16 May 2008, 20:07
Stickman, how would you say the Charles Daly performs compared to the Noveske N4 Basic as far as performance?

Stickman
16 May 2008, 20:59
Stickman, how would you say the Charles Daly performs compared to the Noveske N4 Basic as far as performance?

I'm not real big on holding one up against the other, especially when they are setup as two different placeholders.

The Noveske brings complete reliability with an enhanced overall package with its BUIS, stock, grip, and most importantly, the barrel. With these things comes a heavier price tag, but Noveske is going to hold its own regardless of who its compared against.

The Charles Daly brought total reliability straight out of the box with nothing but lube and bullets added to the picture. Two thousand rounds without any malfunctions of any sort is impressive to say the least, especially when I've watched so many other name brand carbines fail in the first day of classes. The Charles Daly carbine is going to earn a high mark for value, but they are just starting out in the AR15 community. As they bring additional offerings to the market, I think their D-M4LE is going to overshadow many of the current crop of AR15s on the market. The gun we beat on is a winner, and being as it ran perfect, its hard to find fault with much of anything.

Not a cut and dry answer, but I think there is more to the picture. Hopefully this makes a little sense.

CDDM416
17 May 2008, 09:19
well i got mine today, and as my name says, i got the cddm416. im retired AF and on disablity for kidney failure, so my money is very tight i paid $960 out the door for it, and let me tell ya, i feel i got way more then my monies worth. thanks to stickmans revue, i didnt get a bushmaster, my hat is of to charles daly. i have all ready made my mind up that when they come out with a 14.5 im getting one,, already saveing my money..

Sandman751
12 June 2008, 16:45
I haven't run this rifle through the paces yet. But, from what I'm seeing, I have a feeling that is going to be a force to be reckoned with in the AR/M4 industry

TigerStripe
12 June 2008, 19:20
I haven't run this rifle through the paces yet. But, from what I'm seeing, I have a feeling that is going to be a force to be reckoned with in the AR/M4 industry

Yes, it will. The more people see them, the more they're going to take away competition. It costs what around the same as a Bushmaster and is much better than one out of the box.

TS

Nicotine
16 June 2008, 15:26
Just ordered my D-M4LE today, for a first time buyer this site has been a great resource. Thanks for taking the time to make my decision that must easier. Plus I get to buy local as well being in PA myself. [adore]

TigerStripe
16 June 2008, 16:31
You won't be disappointed Charles Daly makes a great product!

TS

Stickman
17 June 2008, 20:23
Just ordered my D-M4LE today, for a first time buyer this site has been a great resource. Thanks for taking the time to make my decision that must easier. Plus I get to buy local as well being in PA myself. [adore]

I think you will be more than happy with the D-M4LE. For a first weapon, you made a good choice in not cheaping out. Plenty of people save a few dollars, only to find out why later on.

Whixton
18 June 2008, 06:59
Plenty of people save a few dollars, only to find out why later on.

(raises hand [bash])

Nicotine
19 June 2008, 08:34
Hey Stickman,

Just wondering what ammo you ran through your test subject. Also do you know of a good drop in two stage trigger that will work nicely with this? Thanks in advance for any input. FedEx shows that my D-M4LE should arrive at the FFL today. Should be a great weekend.

Stickman
19 June 2008, 19:38
Hey Stickman,

Just wondering what ammo you ran through your test subject. Also do you know of a good drop in two stage trigger that will work nicely with this? Thanks in advance for any input. FedEx shows that my D-M4LE should arrive at the FFL today. Should be a great weekend.

Tracer (mil)

M855 (mil)

55 grain FMJ (several different brands)

55 grain SP (Remington and Federal)

We dropped in the new nonadjustable Geissele two stage, and it was squared away.

madtrapper
25 August 2008, 09:58
A question for those who have used the CD. Any issues--anticipated or experienced--for left-handed shooters? I'm rather used to wrong-handing the selector or mag release, etc, but I like to keep ejected casings at least a couple inches in front of my face...

Thanks guys.

TigerStripe
25 August 2008, 14:36
I didn't notice any difference in ejection during right handed shooting that other AR platroms I've used. I haven't done any wrong handed shooting yet but I'll try a few rounds for you to be sure.

TS

Jethro
25 August 2008, 15:49
Don't know about the Daly rifle, but I wouldn't think it would be any worse than the rest of the AR's. I'm a lefty too but I've always adapted. If I were to buy a Stag Arms AR I would still get the right-handed version simply because of parts availability in an emergency situation [if ya know what I mean].

Stickman
25 August 2008, 18:50
A question for those who have used the CD. Any issues--anticipated or experienced--for left-handed shooters? I'm rather used to wrong-handing the selector or mag release, etc, but I like to keep ejected casings at least a couple inches in front of my face...

Thanks guys.

I've fired it both sides, and had no problems. Ejection was consistent, and was not towards the rear.

TigerStripe
25 August 2008, 20:11
I've fired it both sides, and had no problems. Ejection was consistent, and was not towards the rear.

Go ahead, take the fun away for me. [BD] All my brass was between 1:15 and about 2:45.

TS

RogerTPA
31 August 2008, 17:10
Great questions and great review Stickman. I was hoping CD was going to turn out a really good quality, modestly priced weapon that's a great value. They should be slamming the door on a lot of it's competitors soon. If I were to buy a 3rd AR, this weapon will be my choice. [:)]

TigerStripe
1 September 2008, 01:20
I ended up buying the D-M4 gun that I tested and reviewed. CDD should be out selling many of their competitors, it's a better weapon for the price range it's in.

TS

aflineman
11 May 2009, 19:08
I have handled a couple of the CD AR15s at one of the local shops down here. Looks nice and seems put together well.
Stick, I can see exactly what you are saying about the "feel" of the charging handle; NICE.
I'm not in the market for another AR15 at the moment. If I was though, this would probably be it.

JeffNM
18 August 2009, 08:45
Thanks to the great info and reviews, I just bought my first AR. I chose a CD D-M4LE. Took delivery yesterday, and shot 400 rounds through it after work, of course after disassembly, cleaning, and re-lubrication.

I can testify to Stickman’s review about the flawless operation, fit, and finish. Now, on to some accessories, as my 44 year old eyes don’t seem to like iron sights that well. None the less, was able to hit soda cans consistently at 75 yards after sighting in. I know it’s a carbine, but I’m anxious to see how accurate this will be.

Thanks for the wonderful info on the site.

Stickman
18 August 2009, 22:37
Welcome to the site, and thankyou for sharing your info with us.