PDA

View Full Version : Same Price: Spikes chf vs. BCM standard

HighDesert
17 August 2012, 12:09
I have come to appreciate the no nonsense & no drama this forum provides and have been an avid lurker. I do have a question that would no doubt stir the pot too much on the other AR sites as I have noticed from past discussions (unsure if they actually qualify to be called that) on the topic.

So, here we go:

Budget is $650.

With Spikes Tactical one gets a 16" middy upper with FN cold hammer forged barrel, nickle boron bolt carrier group and moe handguards for $630.

With Bravo Company one gets a 16" middy with standard barrel, standard BCM bcg, and moe handguards for $650.

If one is looking to do this right, is Bravo Company and their phenomenal track record worth the premium even though one does not get a hammer forged barrel and no NiBo bcg?

This firearm will be used in at least two multi-day training courses this year and will most likely see 1k+ rounds a year.

Which would you choose? Why?

Singlestack Wonder
17 August 2012, 17:29
The BCM hands down. Reputation and proven SHTF quality.

Eric
17 August 2012, 17:43
I've got nothing but positive comments for BCM mid-length uppers, both from personal experience and ones that I have seen go through classes. I've only seen one Spikes, which did have issues but was later resolved by Spikes. My personal BCM has a standard chrome lined barrel, not the CHF, and it performs great. The difference the user will see between CHF and standard CL is minimal at best. If everything else was totally equal, then I would take the CHF barrel. I could take or leave the coated BCG as well, but I'm not inclined to pay extra for it. I'd be interested in running a Spikes for myself to get an idea what they are like (the specs look good on paper!), but for now, I would take the BCM route.

HighDesert
17 August 2012, 18:02
Gentlemen, thank you very much for your advice and suggestions.

I am surprised at how little information on the Spikes being run hard there is on the internet during the last year. Virtually nothing from what I have found except vuurwapenblog.com, but again, that is a few years old.

Makes the decision that much more difficult, especially since they look so good on paper.

zero7one
17 August 2012, 18:29
I believe that Spikes is currently using Lothar Walther barrels and as for the Spikes NiB BCG, I have one in one of my rifles that I have put about 500 rounds through without cleaning and only giving it a slight lube. So far so good on both the barrel and BCG.

HighDesert
17 August 2012, 18:37
I believe that Spikes is currently using Lothar Walther barrels and as for the Spikes NiB BCG, I have one in one of my rifles that I have put about 500 rounds through without cleaning and only giving it a slight lube. So far so good on both the barrel and BCG.

Good to hear the positive report. Thank you.

This is the upper that I am looking at. They state that the barrel is made for them by FN:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XSTU5435&name=Spikes+Tactical+16%22+Elite+CHF+5.56%2f.223+U pper+Receiver&groupid=301&search=spikes

HighDesert
18 August 2012, 10:32
Thank you.

Good to know the NiB bcg has been working for you.

The barrel that the Spikes uses is actually made by FN for them according to the spec sheet.

FortTom
19 August 2012, 16:50
I can't comment on either but I do use the Spikes M-16 Nickle Boron Bolt in two weapons. I'll never turn back unless something better comes out. Guns run smoother, better and with way less lubrication than standard bolts. No more scraping bolt tails, I can clean them with a piece of T-shirt, some cleaner (your choice) and my thumbnail. Literally, that's what I've been using as a "scraper". My uppers are LMT's and a Colt, among others I've owned. So I don't have any real input there, as far as your other concerns.

Good luck choosing,

FT.

TripleBravo
20 August 2012, 02:17
In my opinion, you can't really go wrong with either choice.

For me though, the NiB BCG in the Spike's for the same price would push me that way.

markm
20 August 2012, 07:45
I would never buy a Spikes product with the options we currently have. Spikes might be rolling out some good products... I don't know.

Some of the products that Spikes has out there tells me who their target customer is.... (the spikes buffer for example)... they're after the ARFcom idiot market... And that's where the money is... so by all means.

But with BCM and DD, you don't have to gamble on companies like SPIKES.

drew
20 August 2012, 09:12
I have owned both and they were both 100% reliable. I have read that the spikes has a slightly larger gas port, so that it can run cheaper under powered. 223 ammo. Someone correct me if im wrong though. If i were in your shoes id go the BCM route, just for the better reputation on reliability in heavy use . But i really think you wont go wrong with either.

Curlyburns5
20 August 2012, 11:12
If you're considering spikes you might want to look at PSA hammer forged uppers. They have pretty good prices. Their cs seems to be a toss-up though. I've had good luck with them. I have one of their 16" hf uppers as a beater/backup gun. For a primary rifle I would recommend BCM. Never heard a negative comment about them. Can't beat their quality. My BCM is my rifle I know I can count on 100% of the time.

TripleBravo
22 August 2012, 03:03
I would never buy a Spikes product with the options we currently have. Spikes might be rolling out some good products... I don't know.

Your second sentence does not support your first.

What issue do you have with the ST-T2 buffer, if you can expand further?

CGS
23 August 2012, 09:44
I have come to appreciate the no nonsense & no drama this forum provides and have been an avid lurker. I do have a question that would no doubt stir the pot too much on the other AR sites as I have noticed

Amen on that. Wow some of the other sites will really haze you if you suggest anything other than their site sponsors...

Comparing apples to apples, what is the price difference if you were to upgrade the bravo to the exact same spec?

Personally I don't think you can argue with a FN barrel. Is it also chrome lined? Who makes the BCG in the spikes? High round count? I'd be most concerned with the barrel, either BCG "should" be good to go. Remember not all of us need cadillacs, sometimes a buick is good enough.

Barron1
2 September 2012, 13:13
I agree that spikes marketing is not my style. I prefer BCM as a company on the whole and I use many of their components in my rifles. I did buy an ST middy upper and put in on an LMT lower earlier this year. That has been a very good weapon. No problems whatsoever, round count around 2500. I do not have the FN CHF barrel so I can't say how long mine will hold up. BCM standard may be better. All said I would rather have a BCM b/c its a BCM and carries more respect among high level shooters. In truth, spikes may be just as good - even if they do put bio hazzard logos and stuff on some of their guns. I had a similar sick felling when I saw my buddy's zombie eotech. I want to say I saw several reviews that said the gas ports on spike's were in spec - I think one was from Stickman but don't hold me to it.

TangoSauce
2 September 2012, 17:40
I have a few friends that are very happy with their Spikes. The FN barrels seem to be high quality. Perhaps I'm the one person on the internet who has had very bad customer service from BCM, but they have not 'earned' my repeated business as other companies have. Nonetheless, BCM makes quality rifles and the fact that so many people run them in classes should be an indicator of that.

With that said, it's pretty much a toss up from my perspective. If you were after a rail instead of the MOE then BCM would be worth it to get what you want in one purchase.

csmith
2 September 2012, 17:55
I have a few friends that are very happy with their Spikes.

I definately fall into this category. Spike's isn't the sub par rifle some allude to. Yes, Spike's also markets some cheesy products. On the other hand, reputable companies like Leupold, Hornady, Mossberg etc. come out with equally cheesy products (re: zombie) and nobody comes down on them for it.