PDA

View Full Version : O.A.L. Question

FortTom
21 August 2012, 17:47
Normally, in my bolt action rifles, I set the overall length to where the bullet just barely kisses the lands on the rifiling, using dyekem to mark it with. Using 5.56 in my AR's, I'd have to do this and keep ammo seperate for several different weapons.
I'm thinking of just setting the OAL to the specs in my loading manuals for all 5.56 ammo in the future. I don't think this will make much of a difference in accuracy. All rifles are 16 in, no cans, etc, semi only.

Just curious, how others deal with 5.56 ammo loading for different rifles. Do you use a differnt lenght for different rifles, or just one published OAL for all. If it makes any difference, I load only 55 grain FMJ Boat tail Hornady.

Thanks ahead for your input.

FT.

Paulo_Santos
21 August 2012, 18:11
I load the same bullets and I just load them to the cannelures and they are still surprisingly accurate.

markm
22 August 2012, 09:46
Same here. I set my Forster Competition seating die so it seats to cannalure. Then... I load all my Sierra Matchkings at that setting.

If I go into any other bullets, I adjust the die to either the cannalure, or to whatever fits in a magazine.

FortTom
22 August 2012, 13:23
Thanks. I think I'll do just that.
FT