PDA

View Full Version : How many...

nub
22 August 2012, 04:58
How many is enough?

Tell me im not the only one.

I seem to have been bitten by a gun bug, it all started about four years ago. First I bought a Glock for my home after someone broke into my house. After the Glock came a Mossberg 590a1. Then I bought a Kimber 1911 to replace my Glock. Moved the Glock to my WS6.... A few months passed I decided to buy my first AR15... I chose a Bushmaster, my wife loved the Bushmaster so for our anniversary I bought her a Black Rain rifle all "pink'd" out. After a few times at the range I thought her rifle performed better.... So I went out and bought a rifle from Daniel Defense..... BUT NO... That didnt scratch the itch.... Then came a Colt, Savage .300win mag, 338 lapua, a BCM middy.... M&P .22 for the kiddo, after my grandfather passed away he left me a winchester 30/30 a couple of remington hunting rifles...springfield .308 SOCOM II..... Now I'm building 2 different AR15's and before they're finished.... I did it again... I bought a Mega Maten matched upper & lower... Had to buy a safe for all those.... Also have 3 Pelican 1750's under my bed....

So how many is enough?

8 pistols : 16 rifles with 3 in progress...

Hatter
22 August 2012, 05:33
Enough is not determined by number but what you can realistically afford. If you find yourself compulsive and going into debt you need to quit. If you can afford it and you enjoy it and its a family hobby, by all means continue that which you love to do. Build rifles, load ammo, shoot to your hearts content.

I have watched my collection grow from my hunting rifle and shotguns to several pistols (2 Glocks, 1 XDm, 1 HK, 3 1911's and 1 Uberti) and several tactical rifles (3 AR's, 338 LM).

nub
22 August 2012, 05:39
I can afford it, I'm just making sure I'm not obsessive..... Lol

CGS
23 August 2012, 09:37
MY father, an ex marine, said to me "You only need a rifle and a side arm." I pointed out that he was correct, but each situation dictates a different rifle and or side arm. I wouldn't go into bear country with a 10/22 rifle and .380 ACP sidearm for example. While a .380 may be adequate for urban CC, it's not for wild bear, boar or mountain lion. While a 22 lr may be adequate for rabbit or squirrel it is not in a tactical situation. If you add in competition, forget about it! IDPA, 3 gun, cowboy sass, and all the various divisions of each....

EZ to go over board. Guns can be as addictive as tattoos. I am limited by the amount of firearms I can own based on my available discretionary income, which isn't much these days.

This is part of the reason I love the AR15 platform. One lower with multiple uppers can get the job done no matter the task. Keeps the cost and the space of gun owner ship down.

doingMach1
23 August 2012, 10:01
I agree....it's all based on what and why....

For home defense, certain weapons apply....for concealed carry, certain apply....for hunting...and so on...

So if you can afford it and enjoy it, go for it.

I'm starting over now (Glock 27 .40 for carry, Remington 870 12g for home protection, and an AR .223 for fun). I used to have a few other handguns but sold them all back when I needed to. Now I'm rebuilding my collection. Next is a small 9mm for the wife for concealment...maybe a Taurus or Ruger? Or maybe the new Beretta Nano? Time for some research!

MoxyDave
23 August 2012, 10:39
My collection ballooned over the years as I continued to try out different types of guns and learn all about them. I finally narrowed it down to my favorites and sold all the rest. It was a long, expensive learning experience, but kind of necessary. Now I just try to focus on becoming really proficient with the choice few I have left. After all, you only have 2 hands ;-)

I would rather have 1 or 2 really solid, reliable guns than a whole safe full of fancy stuff. It just took some time to figure that out.

doingMach1
23 August 2012, 12:48
I would rather have 1 or 2 really solid, reliable guns than a whole safe full of fancy stuff. It just took some time to figure that out.

I agree....but I think it should be the right combination of guns. I like to use the possible "Urban Zombie Apocalypse" as my guide....always good to have a good shotgun for close range emergencies (zombies are on top of you in a group)...a good handgun for portability (indoor zombie attack at close range)....a good rifle for long distance (picking them off from the roof before they get in the neighborhood)....and a machete is good too....doesn't run out of ammo! ;)

TangoSauce
23 August 2012, 16:06
I'd rather have 1 pistol and 1 rifle with 10 courses under my belt than having 10 pistols and 10 rifles with no training.

CGS
24 August 2012, 08:07
I agree....it's all based on what and why....

For home defense, certain weapons apply....for concealed carry, certain apply....for hunting...and so on...

So if you can afford it and enjoy it, go for it.

I'm starting over now (Glock 27 .40 for carry, Remington 870 12g for home protection, and an AR .223 for fun). I used to have a few other handguns but sold them all back when I needed to. Now I'm rebuilding my collection. Next is a small 9mm for the wife for concealment...maybe a Taurus or Ruger? Or maybe the new Beretta Nano? Time for some research!
I think what we are saying is gunsa re a way guys can accesorize :) "Does my carry pistol match my watch?"

Pork Chop
24 August 2012, 08:44
too many guns is like having too much money....... there's no such thing. :)

doingMach1
24 August 2012, 09:20
I think what we are saying is gunsa re a way guys can accesorize :) "Does my carry pistol match my watch?"

Lol! Exactly!

too many guns is like having too much money....... there's no such thing. :)

Although they rarely go together.....if you have too much money, it doesn't last long since you spend it on too many guns!

h0use
24 August 2012, 14:21
I don't think you can even have enough guns=] it's just can you afford to feed them! I have alot of safe queens just cause ammo cost so much.

Creeky73
24 August 2012, 16:32
I don't feel bad about how many guns I have bought over the past 5 years. I do feel bad about how much money was wasted on things, either guns themselves, gun parts or accessories, that I really thought I needed or had to have, only to find out otherwise. Not to mention all the clutter that junk causes. I have box after box with gun parts in it. Don't want to throw it away, just in case, but at the same time, I find no practical purpose for this stuff. I wish I would have known exactly what I wanted or needed, right from the start. Could have saved me tons.

Pork Chop
24 August 2012, 18:50
I don't feel bad about how many guns I have bought over the past 5 years. I do feel bad about how much money was wasted on things, either guns themselves, gun parts or accessories, that I really thought I needed or had to have, only to find out otherwise. Not to mention all the clutter that junk causes. I have box after box with gun parts in it. Don't want to throw it away, just in case, but at the same time, I find no practical purpose for this stuff. I wish I would have known exactly what I wanted or needed, right from the start. Could have saved me tons.

I will alleviate all that clutter for ya. Send it my way! :)

Sent using TapaTalk app.

CGS
27 August 2012, 09:56
Ebay, Gunbroker, and Armslist will get you 50% of your investment back on the un-needed junk.

You never know what you need until you use what you have.

UWone77
29 September 2012, 13:05
8 pistols : 16 rifles with 3 in progress...

Well... that's a good starter collection :D

chazthebiker
29 September 2012, 20:33
Guns can be as addictive as tattoos.

Right you are. Fortunately, the guns will be there long after the tats have faded and sagged into oblivion. I plan to make a goodly income from interpreting what used to be tattoos on my fellow nursing home residents one day. "Hold that up sweetie so I can get a good look at the tattoo."

Stickman
30 September 2012, 12:52
I know guys who collect watches, rocks, pens, and all sorts of other things. Firearms can fall into that same category. My standard comment when people ask how many I own is "more than I need, and less than I want".

mlosi762
30 September 2012, 13:31
I know guys who collect watches, rocks, pens, and all sorts of other things. Firearms can fall into that same category. My standard comment when people ask how many I own is "more than I need, and less than I want".

Very well put. You hit it right on the nose Stick.