PDA

View Full Version : Safety engagement question ACT trigger

CLBME
25 August 2012, 14:08
Good afternoon,

I have a question and it may be me..........

I own a Stag AR and I have a Battle Arms ambi' safety. My brother just bought me an ALG Defense ACT trigger, which I just installed. My brother also just installed the same trigger in his S&W. When testing the safety and trigger after the installs we cannot engage the safety when the bolt is locked to the rear. I've Googled it and have found multiple answers- some saying it's normal some not. I understand that the hammer isn't on the sear when the bolt is back (probably the wrong terminology) and therefore would seem to be pressed down by the BCG, which is what's causing it to bind I think?

However, I know that we could engage the safeties prior to the trigger swap. I always engaged the safety when the bolt locked to the rear on an empty mag' if I wasn't reloading.

Is this normal with the ACT trigger?

Thank you for the help.

Christian

ETA- I just reinstalled the stock trigger and the safety does engage with the bolt back. I'm not losing my mind.[:)] So the question is whether it's the safety or the trigger swap that's made the change.

ETA2- More searching found an issue with the trigger pins. It seems that some pins are out of spec (too thick), which causes the binding. I'm going to try the pin swap.

mlosi762
25 August 2012, 15:37
I have the exact same issue after installing the ACT, and was about to post damn near the same question. Thought I was losing my mind. The hammer pin was a tight fit when installing, but I guess I don't understand how a slightly over-sized pin could cause the problem. Otherwise everything works fine, and I love the trigger. But I am so used to putting the weapon back on safe immediately after firing, so it bugs the hell out of me. Not to mention how if you are trying to show/check that your weapon is clear and on safe after firing, dropping the bolt back first is a No-Go.

BTW- I am using a BAD-ASS safety selector as well, not the standard kind.

CLBME
26 August 2012, 07:18
Hi mlosi762- I agree with you on all accounts, which is why it was a problem for me too. I don't know how it affects it either but after some research and reading other posts on various forums it turns out that some of the pins are indeed out of spec that come with the trigger. The work-around fix is to install the trigger with your gun's factory pins. In both of our cases- the Stag and S&W- using the factory pins rectified the problem! It does seem odd that such a very small tolerance can affect it's operation. I don't have my calipers here so I cannot compare the two. I'm going to follow up with a call to ALG tomorrow and will post the results of my call.

If you wouldn't mind giving it a try, see if it works for you too and let me know.

Thanks.

Christian

I have the exact same issue after installing the ACT, and was about to post damn near the same question. Thought I was losing my mind. The hammer pin was a tight fit when installing, but I guess I don't understand how a slightly over-sized pin could cause the problem. Otherwise everything works fine, and I love the trigger. But I am so used to putting the weapon back on safe immediately after firing, so it bugs the hell out of me. Not to mention how if you are trying to show/check that your weapon is clear and on safe after firing, dropping the bolt back first is a No-Go.

BTW- I am using a BAD-ASS safety selector as well, not the standard kind.

todd.k
27 August 2012, 08:43
It is normal. The safety may, but is not designed to always engage with the bolt to the rear.

Tolerances of the trigger and selector are at work here, but there is nothing wrong if it passes a function check.

markm
27 August 2012, 08:50
Put the old pins back into the gun. This happened to some guys on M4carbine too.

Stickman
27 August 2012, 20:28
It is normal. The safety may, but is not designed to always engage with the bolt to the rear.

Tolerances of the trigger and selector are at work here, but there is nothing wrong if it passes a function check.

That sums it up and answers it nicely.

CLBME
29 August 2012, 17:45
Amy Geissele was kind enough to return an email, which said that they have experienced this problem with some models due to the plating of their pins. She said that new pins are being made to take care of it. Using the factory pins doesn't present a problem with their trigger.

Thanks for the replies.