PDA

View Full Version : What free float length?

Gunny
2 May 2008, 07:36
I have a CMMG 10.3 with FSB that I want to convert to a FF set up with micro gas block & flip up buis's. I'm looking at either the MI 2-piece FF's or the DD Lite Rail & I'm wanting the business end of the rail to be as close as possible to the aft end of my AAC Phantom FH but still allow clearance for the wrench to be used to tighten the FH. What length will allow the setup I'm looking for? I see that the MI's offer a 10" & mid & the DD Lite Rail offers a 9 & 10" FF. What's the longest length for either that will give me the setup I'm looking for? Better yet, anyone else using the 10.3 in conjunction with either of the rail systems mentioned? TIA.

Stickman
2 May 2008, 09:22
Gunny,

The Daniel Defense MK18 rail is based off the 10.3 and 10.5 inch barrels, and is 9.5" according to the DD website. The MK18 rail availability is based off contract overruns, and while they aren't cheap, they aren't all that much more than the DD LITE rail. Daniel Defense lists them at $349, and John (Rainier Arms) has them at $332. There are a few other places that sell them as well, but John is a close friend so I have no problems recommending him to people knowing that they will be well treated.

I think the 10" rails would cover up the wrench flats on a 10.3" barrel, but I don't have a 10.3" barrel to check.

DD MK18 link (http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=111)

RA DD MK18 link (http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1030)

Gunny
2 May 2008, 16:18
Roger that & thanks for the intel Stick. I can nab one of Rainier for $320 with my LEO discount, but I'll have to get that approved by the half unit first. It looks like this MK18 rail is what will fit the criteria.

Stickman
2 May 2008, 23:42
I mentioned it to Daniel Defense while talking with them today, and they had the same frame of mind as well. The MK18 rail, and RIS II rails in general are the nicest rails I've used bar none.

TigerStripe
3 May 2008, 18:27
Stick, do you have any pics with it on a weapon?

TS