PDA

View Full Version : Tapping rear takedown pivot spring hole

artoaster
6 September 2012, 06:38
I've been wondering if some of the users here have successfully done the modification to the hole under the end plate that contains the detent and spring for the rear takedown pin?

If I go to the hardware store am I looking for a 4/40 tap and set screw to match?

zero7one
6 September 2012, 07:35
Why do you want to do this? So the spring and detent doesn't come out when you take the end plate off? If you mess with the depth of the hole, you will mess with how tight the spring presses against the rear take-down pin. Again, just curious why you want to do this...

AR-10
6 September 2012, 08:00
I agree with the above, adding a set screw puts more tension on the spring.

You can remedy this by cutting coils from the length of the spring, but I really don't see the point.

I don't change buttstocks or receiver extensions often enough to even consider such a modification.

h0use
6 September 2012, 08:12
It's easy to do. Just make sure you cut the spring 1/8 inch off the spring.

markm
6 September 2012, 08:58
There is no sense to this modification.

Stickman
6 September 2012, 15:14
There is no sense to this modification.

I've never understood this one either. I pull stuff apart for pictures all the time, and still don't see a need. Who is ripping their carbine apart so often that this is needed? Never mind that they have to chop a spring down afterwards.

h0use
6 September 2012, 19:39
Recoil issue 1 had a whole article about how to do it.

h0use
6 September 2012, 19:40
Recoil issue 1 had an article on how to do it step by step.

jlcudal
17 September 2012, 23:10
Recoil issue 1 had an article on how to do it step by step.

I saw that too, but it's a nonexistent problem. Sounds more like a new way to screw up a lower if you're not careful.

John Hwang
18 September 2012, 23:22
I see more and more lowers that are making this as a standard feature on the lowers. I don't think it's a bad feature by any means but like others have said, not really needed. If you are one of those guys who want to change out the stock regularly, I can see this feature coming in handy.

WarriorArms
19 September 2012, 12:54
I do it to the guns I build for LEO guys. Some guys will monkey with a gun when they are told not to. No matter how many times they are told that they are not supposed to take it apart any farther than field stripping for cleaning, there is always that one guy that will and then loses parts or gets them all back in, but doesn't tighten the nut properly and it comes loose at the range and now we are looking for parts. Just cheap insurance, otherwise, a pointless modification.

Stickman
21 September 2012, 10:18
I'm held up on a build right now because a company is using a micro screw that evidently I don't seem to have a bit for.....