PDA

View Full Version : question about GI magazines

Creeky73
6 September 2012, 20:33
does extended loaded storage damage the feed lips, and if so, does loading them at less than full capacity help solve that? Just bought some new mags and I don't want to ruin them by improper storage. Thanks in advance for any help!

landshark
6 September 2012, 20:54
I guess it would really end up being a question of how long they stay loaded, and if they are stored somewhere where they are going to get banged up or not. I keep two loaded mags at my shop all the time and have never had a problem with the feed lips going out on me, but those are stored in a safe. I worry more about the springs giving out before I do the feed lips.

zero7one
6 September 2012, 23:05
The feed lips on a USGI mag should not be an issues from being loaded to capacity alone. If they are banged around, that could cause an issue. Fully loaded polymer magazines without some sort of metal brace, dust cover, or other device to keep the feed lips from spreading, can cause a problem. Can is a subjective word. It does not mean that it will happen...but it is possible.

markm
7 September 2012, 08:56
Leaving them loaded does nothing. Repeated firing cycles is what fatigues the spine and causes feed lip spread. You can sometimes squeeze the top of a well used mag and see the play where the body had fatigued.

Stickman
7 September 2012, 11:18
Doing reloads and dumping them on hard objects, or stepping on them is what can create problems. Leaving them loaded isn't a concern at all.

Run drills on a concrete range if you want to see mags get killed....

Bob Reed
9 September 2012, 08:40
Hello,

You should down-load your magazines by two rounds anyway. Only load 18 Rounds in 20 Rd Magazines and only load 28 Rounds in the 30 Rd Magazines.

Creeky73
9 September 2012, 20:08
thanks for the info, gents. I am in the process of trying to slowly stockpile some GI mags that immediately get the magpul upgrades, and after some function testing with them, they are going straight to the BOB to be left alone. I'll beat up on other mags at the range.

Bob - I am in the habit of doing that, it just always seemed like a good idea. I usually download by about 4-5 rounds though.