PDA

View Full Version : ? ARES GSR and DD lite rails,...

NvrenufRR
4 May 2008, 14:07
I am planning another build and need some info, tech advice from those who have some know how.

Planning to do a build around a ARES GSR retro-fit and a DD LITE rifle length rail (12.0 or 13.0, undecided)

I would like to know about the fitting of the ARES under the railsystem, if I need it milled, and approx how much to go with it.

The gas block will be a PRI steel lo-pro to go under the guards.

So, Let me know what you think or suggest, Hopefully, someone may even try the fitting for comparison

NvrenufRR
7 May 2008, 18:55
Thanks for the reply, but I have an ABS Corbon Fiber barrel for the build.

I like the LWRC, but if Im going a full upper route, it'll be LMT MRP piston when released

Anyone got any info for me??????

TigerStripe
7 May 2008, 20:43
I'd like an update on the LMT piston upper as well if anybody has any info.

TS

sorethumb
13 July 2008, 12:38
get the 416 gas piston system(only for leo and military at this point) but it will work under most of the aftermarket HGs its a real sweet system. All staineless and contured to the bbl.

Stickman
15 July 2008, 13:50
I thought the DD Lites series would fit, but I could be wrong. I'm also pretty sure the Omega rails fit, though they aren't going to be any longer than 12".

It may be worth giving DD a call and checking with them.

Daniel Defense, Inc
6002 Commerce Blvd
Savannah, GA 31408
Phone (866) 554-GUNS

caporider
15 July 2008, 21:52
Based on my having used an Ares kit, I'm going to guess that you'll need to remove quite a bit of material from the Lite Rail for an under the handguard installation to work. Since the gas piston parts are offset upward from the gas block AND are much wider, mounting the Lite Rail after the piston components are installed (which is the only way you can do an under-handguard installation) is what will cause problems.

In addition, you'll need to take off your Lite Rail every time you want to clean the piston system, which may be needed every few thousand rounds. If you shoot alot, it doesn't take long to accumulate a decent round count and you'll be removing your handguard more often than you'd probably like.

Finally, the Ares kit vents gas through the handguards, so having your gas block under the handguard may not be the best idea, depending on where you hold your rifle.

Overall, I personally think the Ares kit is a no-go for under-handguard installations.

Paulo_Santos
20 July 2008, 07:21
Wouldn't the LWRC Rails work with the ARES Kit? They do sell them.

http://shop.lwrifles.com/category.sc?categoryId=25

Pistonhead
17 August 2008, 20:19
I have a DD Lite with my piston setup. Works just fine.

gotm4
18 August 2008, 04:04
The ARES piston kit won't fit under much.
It'll fit under a Predator rail, the M4 handguards that come with the kit and not much else without modifying the rails.

Won't fit under DD Lite Rails, LaRue etc.

ARES will fit under a VLTOR CASV with modification, will fit under Troy rails with modification, will fit under Surefire M73 with modification.