PDA

View Full Version : Educate Me - Grip

FortTom
13 September 2012, 19:06
I like the idea of a more vertical grip, vs. the standard AR design. I understand that it puts you in a more natural elbows down position. What I wonder, though, before I make the change, is how does it affect your hold in a prone or squating position, or crouched awkwardly behind a barrier (which is more likely to occur than a perfect position presenting itself).

Any experienced advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

FT.

Stickman
13 September 2012, 19:32
A lot of it is personal preference. Many of the more awkward positions benefit from a steeper grip angle in my opinion.

FortTom
14 September 2012, 08:39
A lot of it is personal preference. Many of the more awkward positions benefit from a steeper grip angle in my opinion.
That makes perfect sense. I've never really noticed a problem with standard AR grips, for myself, but I have noticed people going to a near vertical grip for a lowered elbow shooting position. Then I saw a post on here about grips from a company called Umbrella, which touted the same thing, puting your elbows lower. I've been using the same grip style since I joined the military in '75, so I guess the only problem is I read something or see someone else doing it, and I see it as an "upgrade". I can just save myself a few bucks and stick with what are on my AR's. Thanks, Stickman.

FT