PDA

View Full Version : Elcan SpecterOS 4x

Xrugger2012
19 September 2012, 10:25
Looking to Purchase this Specific Model of Optic.. Does anyone have any reviews or Comments.. it is between this and an Acog. however I like this one more, but would like to know more info prior to plunking down the Coin...

Paulo_Santos
19 September 2012, 11:57
Here is the only review I found on it:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2012/01/09/elcan-specteros4x-fixed-four-power-combat-gun-sight/

landshark
19 September 2012, 20:45
Went to the range some time ago as a coach and worked with a couple of MARSOC guys that had the 1x/4x version. If I was given a choice of that over the RCO (http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=TA31RCO-A4CP) we are currently issued, I would pick the ELCAN. Mainly for the reasons stated in the article Paulo posted. I have never liked the eye relief of the RCO, and as good as the glass is (credit where credits due, Trijicon glass is top notch) I liked the larger FOV of the ELCAN and the longer eye relief. The glass in the ELCAN is also excellent. The fixed 4x power is same piece of gear from what I hear (full disclosure: never picked up this particular model up) just with out some of the bells and whistles, i.e. magnification swap and "back up" sights. There have been some complaints that the built A.R.M.S. mount that the ELCAN rides in has problems with returning to zero when it has been unmounted and remounted. I have never personally seen this issue before with any of the A.R.M.S mounts I have used in the past.

I would say try to go see if a local shop has one you can pick up, or buy it from someone with a good return policy. As with most things, optics are highly subjective to the end user and everyone is different.

Malice
20 September 2012, 08:20
Good post Landshark.
Keep in mind it is tough to go wrong with either of these optics.
My problem (if you call it that) is that I'm a Trijicon slappy. Every optic I have, including my pistols are Trijicon except for the single EoTech that I hold onto for a future AR project.

baboon
28 January 2014, 12:44
I'm looking into an ElcanDR 1.5X6. Anyone know of any deals to be had on these?

schambers
28 January 2014, 16:34
I use a 1-4x and its a good GP magnified optic. Pros over an ACOG: adjustable illumination, very clear glass, longer eye relief. For me, the crosshair is also easier to aim than the ACOG, but that may be a product of experience. I find that the the wider glass of the ELCAN provides a brighter picture compared to the ACOG (there is a slight haze around the edge of the sight picture with the ACOG, which is made worse if using a fixed front sight post). ELCAN is a little beefier though.

Never experienced significant shift when removing and mounting the optic.

(for some reason I seem to remember this exact question popping up months ago.... I think I basically said the same thing)

tact
28 January 2014, 19:13
Browe over the ACOG.....I just don't see the value in paying an extra grand for the Elcan.

baboon
29 January 2014, 13:55
Browe over the ACOG.....I just don't see the value in paying an extra grand for the Elcan.
I aint interested in an ACOG. An extra $1,000.00 to get what I want aint gonna bother me one bit! I'll be most likely buying another DBAL, and it wont be a civilian version either.

tact
29 January 2014, 14:18
And......

GOST
30 January 2014, 05:03
I personally don't like the ARMS mount on the Elcans I've messed with. I would rather have a Schmidt & Bender Short Dot or Nightforce NXS if I were spending that much, but it's not my money.

baboon
30 January 2014, 12:39
I personally don't like the ARMS mount on the Elcans I've messed with. I would rather have a Schmidt & Bender Short Dot or Nightforce NXS if I were spending that much, but it's not my money.
Not being familiar with the S&B short dot I'll have to take a look @ them as I know someone who who let me have any S&B for cost.

GOST
30 January 2014, 13:20
The Short Dot is a very nice piece.

baboon
30 January 2014, 13:31
The Short Dot is a very nice piece.

It reminds me of the Zeiss scope on my .416. I'm still surprised by the light gathering of the small objective lens.