PDA

View Full Version : Scope mount question

SFW
26 September 2012, 13:29
I did a search to see if this had been covered before, but didn't come up with concrete answers... so here goes:

Is there any adverse effect to having your scope mount on both the receiver rail and the hand guard rail at the same time? I currently have a 3x9x30 scope mounted to my receiver, but this does not allow me to have my BUS installed at the same time. To be able to have the BUS on the rifle, I need to have the scope mount going from the receiver rails and cover the first two rail notches on the hand guard. Just wanting to know if doing this will allow the optics to work properly. Thank you for the help.

JD

Stickman
26 September 2012, 15:33
It can create instability between both halves if one loosens, and in theory different harmonics can have an affect on accuracy. In the real world, there are military guys doing this and killing bad guys without any problem.

Personally, I would be more concerned about the correct eye relief than I would a BUIS. Mounting the scope so it is functional for ME and MY needs is a lot more important than a BUIS or what other people think.

SFW
26 September 2012, 17:33
Yeah. I think I'm going to leave it alone and just pack my BUIS in my shooting bag.

csmith
26 September 2012, 19:13
To me, using a 3-9 power scope negates using irons. With a scope (lacking the quick detach element, of course) the BUIS is on the weapon "just because".