PDA

View Full Version : SBR reliability

jbssbw
27 September 2012, 10:45
Hi all did a search but couldn't find anything. I want a SBR but don't which system is reliable. I was looking at Sig 516 in 10.5 or DD in 10.5. Any thoughts would be great thanks.

Pork Chop
27 September 2012, 17:06
I have no personal experience with said models. However, I would suspect anything from Sig or Daniel Defense runs like a top!

Sent using TapaTalk app.

Stickman
27 September 2012, 21:11
Hi all did a search but couldn't find anything. I want a SBR but don't which system is reliable. I was looking at Sig 516 in 10.5 or DD in 10.5. Any thoughts would be great thanks.

I guess my question would be why you are looking at those two models. Once you answer that, it gives us a better idea of what your plans are with it and why you are leaning towards just these two.

jbssbw
28 September 2012, 11:00
I guess my question would be why you are looking at those two models. Once you answer that, it gives us a better idea of what your plans are with it and why you are leaning towards just these two.

I picked the Sig because of price and quality I like DD and I might get a 14.5" upper from them next week. I was wondering which system is a more reliable one on a SBR platform. Thanks Stick for checking in.

Stickman
28 September 2012, 13:35
I honestly can't think of a reason why I would go with the Sig.

If you are looking for a general purpose SBR, the 12.5" takes the least drop in velocity and is much more maneuverable than the 16+" barreled weapons.

Kick around the overall build you are thinking of, and lets figure it out from there. Do you want a fixed FSB, or are you looking for a longer rail which covers the gas block?

jbssbw
28 September 2012, 15:11
I am looking for HD, I thought a SBR is only good out to 100 yards. I would like a 10.5" barrel, what piston system for a SBR I real not looking to spend 2500 for a LWRC. I have a Stag M8 and love Stag I plan to get 2 more rifles. I might get the DD upper and a SBR. What would you recommend Stick for my 2 rifles I want to put the new Daimond Head vr-s rail on. Thanks

Stickman
28 September 2012, 17:32
Are you going to assemble them yourself? If you want that rail, it is something to consider.

jbssbw
28 September 2012, 17:57
Are you going to assemble them yourself? If you want that rail, it is something to consider.

No there is a good smith near by. I was going to have Rainier do the 14.5 build but everything I want is out of stock. I have been looking around and BMC & DD have the uppers in stock. I still check Rainer for the bfh but there is no time frame for when they will be back. When I get the fever to buy I buy alot and quick so I have been looking for a while.

Stickman
29 September 2012, 13:58
If you are getting a 14.5, are you pinning the muzzle device so you don't have to SBR that one? In general, I don't see a lot of need for a piston system as decent barrels should already have the correct gas port sizing.

Is there a reason you are leaning towards a hammer forged barrel? They are nice, but a standard barrel will get a lot of rounds through it without any problems. Just something to think about.

jbssbw
29 September 2012, 15:09
Yes in CT they have to be pinned. I would like to spend up to 1500 on a sbr which company would you recommend?