PDA

View Full Version : Larue Stealth

Aejsl
13 May 2008, 12:35
Has anybody had any experience with the Larue Stealth uppers? I have been eyeballing an 18" with 13.2" handguards. They claim sub MOA. I am looking at building something SPRish. Are they worth it or can something comparable (i.e. better) be built for the same dollars. Thanks.

Stickman
13 May 2008, 13:08
Are they worth it or can something comparable (i.e. better) be built for the same dollars. Thanks.

The heart of an upper is based off its barrel. I believe they are still using Lothar Wather barrels, which are used by a number of high quality manufacturers such as Daniel Defense.

Custom built uppers will often serve a better purpose than off the shelf units, and can often do it while saving the end user money. What you are looking for, and what you plan to do with are something that only you can answer. Without knowing the price tag, its hard to say what else you could have for the same money.

If you are looking for a billet upper, you may want to consider the Vltor MUR. The MUR offers the dimensional consistency of billet, while giving the reinforcements that currently only Vltor offers. Its unusual look is based off structural support and is designed to prevent receiver flex. Receiver flex isn't something most people will run into, but it doesn't change it is real.

Aejsl
13 May 2008, 13:25
Thanks for the quick response. I was originally looking at the Vltor Mur. I had spec'd out a Noveske 18.5 spr barrel with DD 12" M4 handguards. It seems I could save some money on the Larue if it is comparable. Also, Steve at ADCO has SPR builds he is selling for 1500ish. Are the Rainier match 18" SPR barrels any good?

Tucson
13 May 2008, 14:48
From what I've read and heard; the benefit of the VLTOR upper is that the reduction in flex means reduction of wear on internal parts. Translation; less opportunity for breakage and a dollar saving investment in the long run...

Stickman
13 May 2008, 15:03
I was originally looking at the Vltor Mur. I had spec'd out a Noveske 18.5 spr barrel with DD 12" M4 handguards.

Are the Rainier match 18" SPR barrels any good?

I would change the DD 12.0 M4 rail to a DD 12.0 Lite rail. Actually, I did change mine out, and created a similar build.

For my purposes, I went with the Vltor MUR, RA/ Shileen Ratchet barrel (in 16"), and DD 12.0 Lite. I recently built up a 18" RA barrel on the new DD Lite rail (I need to post that in the new accessories section ASAP). Both of those weapons will shoot much more accurately than I am capable of.

I'll point out ahead of time that I strongly detest posting MOA numbers online. Its like fishing stories, but at least with fish people post a picture of them holding the fish and you have an idea of the truth. With internet groups sizes, I firmly believe that most people fabricate stories, and when forced to post a picture, they do so of a target they shot from 25 meters.

The above being said, my groups with the RA 16" barrel were shot with generic 55 grain ammo, some was FMJ, and some was SP. Even with the mix of ammo I was able to pull 1.5" groups at 100 yards. Some of the groups were a little better, and some were a little worse, but the point is that I was using cheap ammo and still getting solid results. With good ammo, I have no doubt these barrels will pull in the .75 MOA arena with a competent trigger puller, but I doubt that is me. To be honest, I doubt most people would be able to pull the full level of accuracy out of the RA or Noveske barrels, and both are solid choices.

Aejsl
14 May 2008, 04:54
I am having issues with deciding on which gas block. I would like a rifle length system. I was leaning toward a Crane but only because of the SPR thing and not necessarily because it is the best. I would plan on BUIS on the front and the rear so, I won't necessarily need it on the block.

Stickman
14 May 2008, 08:29
I am a big fan of the Vltor gas block, it is top quality and its basic design has been copied for good reason. As far as gas blocks go, I would stick it under the rail for total protection, but thats just me.