PDA

View Full Version : aimpoint on 870?

Creeky73
12 October 2012, 20:49
I have an aimpoint PRO that I don't have on anything right now, and I was considering having my 870 tapped for a rail and putting the red dot on there. However, I would like to put the aimpoint in a bobro 150 mount so it would still be easily swapped over to an AR. my question is, will this setup have the red dot mounted too high? I want to sight in for a maximum distance of about 50 yards with a slug but mainly out to about 25 yards with standard buckshot.

any help is appreciated!

zero7one
12 October 2012, 22:18
I am not sure about the PRO on an 870, but I know that our agency had put Aimpoint T1's on our 870's with a riser on the mount that, I believe, would be the same height as an absolute co-witness for an AR. The guys absolutely loved having the RDS on the 870. If you end up going with that set-up, post some pictures so we can see how it turned out.

browcs
12 October 2012, 23:43
Zero, did your agency have to tap the receiver for the riser, or did they use a bolt on riser of some sort?

zero7one
13 October 2012, 01:00
Zero, did your agency have to tap the receiver for the riser, or did they use a bolt on riser of some sort?

I believe that the receivers were already tapped.

browcs
13 October 2012, 10:10
Roger...thank you.

m24shooter
28 November 2012, 19:56
Late to the party I know, but years ago I saw some 870s that had the M68 mounted about midway down a 14" barrel. If I remember right, the optic was mounted with the OEM mount on a short block with the cross slot that was brazed onto the barrel. Pretty slick setup..

Creeky73
29 November 2012, 16:24
I still haven't gotten a chance to get this work done, but I am working on it. The guy I take all my guns to said he would install whatever rail I wanted (he recommended the Mesa Tactical) for $50, which sounded reasonable, and then I would still need to get the Bobro mount. However, I have been spending all my extra cash on BOB and related items, so it might be after Xmas before I can complete this. I am also considering getting him to Cerakote it to match the FDE Magpul furniture. Should be a pretty nice 870 after that.