PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Trick

lamarbrog
12 October 2012, 22:17
If you're working on an AR15 gas system and must install a gas tube into a gas block, once you have the gas tube roll pin started with a small hammer a firing pin works great as a punch for setting the pin just below the face of the gas block and centering it.

The rounded end works almost like a roll pin punch. It keeps the firing pin from sliding off, and the taper causes the firing pin to hit the gas block itself without punching the gas tube roll pin through too deeply.

The firing pin I used was an older corroded one that we keep around as an emergency spare if somehow we ran out of new ones. So far it has not caused any perceivable damage to the firing pin, although I have only used it for this purpose twice now.

FortTom
13 October 2012, 09:54
Not a bad idea. If your're somewhere besides where your roll pin punches are..!!

FT.

lamarbrog
13 October 2012, 21:43
It would be great for the field. We actually use it in the shop, too- it has been added to our box of punches. I used it twice more today and it works great provided you get a good start with the hammer first, otherwise it wants to spread the roll pin.

Really, it's more of a setting punch.