PDA

View Full Version : new guy here question on set-up

kev5000
14 October 2012, 00:02
HI,yes I am new here and want to learn about tactical gear,I've been to many handgun training clesses.Now being new to the gear end of this from what I am seeing one must either go with a chest rig or war belt if one also wants to carry a backpack,the backpack has a hip belt so one cannot wear a war belt,would seem to me very hard to get to if one had a backpack on??So maybe someone here can educate me more on this. I am looking at a HSGI small chest rig or a SOE original which one would you gentleman suggest. I like the war belts but if one want to use a backpack what do you do?

skd_tactical
14 October 2012, 08:04
Welcome to the gear side of things..... it sure gets fun, just when you finish a build thinking you're done somebody opens your eyes to the other side of the equation..... It might even be the more expensive side.
A backpack isn't so much of a problem with a warbelt, as long as it's a small assault type pack. I generally wear both at the same time and just rely on the shoulder straps on the pack to take the weight. Just take the daypacks hip belt and wrap it the opposite way around the pack, so the clips are on the outside of the pack. This gets them out of the way but still easily reachable.
Now if I'm rucking - a pack weighing more than 15-20 lbs, then I remove my warbelt, attach it to the top of my ruck, and use the rucksacks hipbelt. The hipbelt really helps carry heavy weights for long distances somewhat comfortably. Warbelts are great, and if planned out correctly can eliminate the need for a chest rig altogether, or can be worn to compliment one. Since you mentioned being a pistol shooter, this seems to me to be your best route first.

As for the chest rig, they key is to figure out what you want/need to carry on it. I highly recommend something modular (MOLLE) as your needs will evolve. Both companies you mentioned make top notch gear, so you won't go wrong with either one.

SOS

UWone77
14 October 2012, 09:20
Are you planning to use this setup for training classes or something else? Also what kind of equipment do you plan on carrying in the setup?

kev5000
14 October 2012, 11:43
First thanks for the help,I am looking at either the HSGI small chest rig or SOE rig.I plan on going to a AR-15 type class but not now short on cash right now. I want to get my carry gear right and stuff I will use not just sit there.I did buy a chest rig years ago and got one with 12 mag pouch's and extra pouch's for everything. I do not use it at all way to much so I want a much lighter rig as I will use it.So maybe a war belt is what I should get first,I have my AR-15 aim point but I want something else ,hate cleaning that thing so I am looking at a XCR or if it comes out within a year the Beretta ARX 160.I just cannot spend my money on stuff and not use it,I seem to do that alot trying to stop that and get stuff I can use.I have so many holsters and gear I never use so I want chest rig or war belt that is useful,I think a lighter system is better and more practical,KISS applies to me,

UWone77
14 October 2012, 12:24
You probably wanted lighter as holding 12 magazines is going overboard. Chest rigs are okay, if you need the space to put magazines, radio's, trauma packs, ect. The main benefit I see with chest rigs are if you are using it to hold soft armor or plates. If not, then I wouldn't go that route. Personally, I'd start with a couple of fastmag pouches to hold your AR mags on your belt http://www.skdtac.com/ITW-FASTMAG-p/itw.110.htm Then figure out what else you really need to hold, before deciding on a belt, backpack or chest rig.

On a side note, no one likes cleaning, but you'd be surprised how long your AR will shoot without it, just using lube generously.

kev5000
14 October 2012, 19:49
Overboard a lot of bit,I learned and I thank all of you for your help has help m I will go with a war belt,but not go nuts 4 pouch's for handgun 3 for rifle oh yeah roll up dump that is really it oh yeah a knife,Kev

rob_s
15 October 2012, 05:25
IMO you've got your cart before your horse. A proper introductory carbine course will run you ~$500 for 2-3 days, expend ~600 rounds of ammunition, and require at most a basic, quality carbine with iron sights, 3-5 magazines, a decent sling, and a single mag pouch for the belt. If the class requires more, you're in the wrong class. If money is an issue, spend it on the training and not on the gear. Someone with $2-3k worth of carbine and another $1k in load carriage and another $1k in stockpiled ammo isn't prepared for anything. Same guy with a $1k basic Colt 6920 and $1k invested in training is exponentially better prepared.

Stickman
15 October 2012, 13:13
Get a kydex mag pouch that goes on your belt and stop worrying.... once you start getting out and training with other people, you can borrow their gear or wear it and see how it does for you.

Without knowing WHY you are buying the gear, its a wasted effort. Which is fine if you are just collecting gear, but first determine what you need and why you need it. From there you can start streamlining and narrowing your choices.