PDA

View Full Version : Obama's Assault Weapons Ban Comment

UWone77
16 October 2012, 22:12
So... anyone think they'll be a ladder rail cover in stock by the end of the week? The disturbing part of the exchange during the debate was this, "Part of it is seeing if we can get an assault weapons ban reintroduced." [crazy] Thoughts on his comments? Battle Comp http://www.battlecomp.com has already kicked off a sale on their website with coupon code to kick it off. Here is part of the transcript:

QUESTION: President Obama, during the Democratic National Convention in 2008, you stated you wanted to keep AK-47s out of the hands of criminals. What has your administration done or planned to do to limit the availability of assault weapons?

OBAMA: We're a nation that believes in the Second Amendment, and I believe in the Second Amendment. We've got a long tradition of hunting and sportsmen and people who want to make sure they can protect themselves.

But there have been too many instances during the course of my presidency, where I've had to comfort families who have lost somebody. Most recently out in Aurora. You know, just a couple of weeks ago, actually, probably about a month, I saw a mother, who I had met at the bedside of her son, who had been shot in that theater.

And her son had been shot through the head. And we spent some time, and we said a prayer and, remarkably, about two months later, this young man and his mom showed up, and he looked unbelievable, good as new.

But there were a lot of families who didn't have that good fortune and whose sons or daughters or husbands didn't survive.

So my belief is that, (A), we have to enforce the laws we've already got, make sure that we're keeping guns out of the hands of criminals, those who are mentally ill. We've done a much better job in terms of background checks, but we've got more to do when it comes to enforcement.

But I also share your belief that weapons that were designed for soldiers in war theaters don't belong on our streets. And so what I'm trying to do is to get a broader conversation about how do we reduce the violence generally. Part of it is seeing if we can get an assault weapons ban reintroduced. But part of it is also looking at other sources of the violence. Because frankly, in my home town of Chicago, there's an awful lot of violence and they're not using AK-47s. They're using cheap hand guns.

And so what can we do to intervene, to make sure that young people have opportunity; that our schools are working; that if there's violence on the streets, that working with faith groups and law enforcement, we can catch it before it gets out of control.

And so what I want is a -- is a comprehensive strategy. Part of it is seeing if we can get automatic weapons that kill folks in amazing numbers out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill. But part of it is also going deeper and seeing if we can get into these communities and making sure we catch violent impulses before they occur.

Stickman
16 October 2012, 22:29
But I also share your belief that weapons that were designed for soldiers in war theaters don't belong on our streets.

I think this will be the comment we look back on and see where the road to confiscation started.

Eric
16 October 2012, 22:30
Part of it is seeing if we can get automatic weapons that kill folks in amazing numbers out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill.
Yeah. We all know that automatic weapons are already highly regulated and closely tracked. More inaccurate soundbites for the press. Nothing new here.

TangoSauce
16 October 2012, 22:51
Still disappointed that Romney incorrectly stated that automatic weapons are illegal. But nonetheless, the choice is clear.

UWone77
16 October 2012, 23:10
Still disappointed that Romney incorrectly stated that automatic weapons are illegal. But nonetheless, the choice is clear.

Typical though. I don't think any politician is aware how MG's are regulated.

Pork Chop
17 October 2012, 07:17
Politicians and media journalists, for the most part, wouldn't know the difference between a Glock and a Colt .45 or ak47 and a Remington 7600.

Sent using TapaTalk app.

M. Gale
17 October 2012, 09:59
I think this will be the comment we look back on and see where the road to confiscation started.

Your killing me Smalls...

The firearms industry has grown significantly since September 13, 2004. My use of the word significantly may be an understatement. Obama's talk of another ban is nothing more than election cycle pandering.

A high capacity magazine ban... maybe. Local ammunition taxes/restrictions... another maybe.

An all out ban ain't gonna happen. Put the $$$ sign on the board.

If Battle Comp is running a sale off of his ban comment, shame on them...

Paulo_Santos
17 October 2012, 12:17
They are all politicians and they all have something in common. They are all professional liars. I don't trust them.

Stickman
17 October 2012, 12:55
An all out ban ain't gonna happen. Put the $$$ sign on the board.

How many politicians or aides have you talked to who have strong feelings on this topic? I don't mean news conference, I mean in their house or just one on one? I know that I have, and I know that it is VERY clear that there is a strong desire to take weapons away from everyone. You can say all day long that it will never happen, but never is a mighty long time. Incremental removal of firearms through taxing is one component, serial numbers on all major parts is another requiring each piece to be registered, and on and on. Do I think it will be one law that stops everything? No, but its already happening and has been for years, and I have a difficult time thinking you don't see that.

FortTom
17 October 2012, 16:07
Yes, T.S., I caught that right away the full auto thing. I've had something more disturbing, that I've never posted here because I was under the impression that any "political" statement would get me banned. However, more frighting that the re-introduction of the "assault weapon ban", was, and how many of you caught this; Obama has indicated that he wanted to join the U.N. In a U.N. Wide resolution, that ALL member countries align themselves with the "UN's" version of gun ownership world wide. I've read a couple of gun scribe types cover it briefely, and I think most people "poo-poo" this idea would never get through congress, that the Constitution, would prohibit it. Well, duh, how many times has Obama removed this pesky little document that he see's as more of an annoyance, and bypass the legislative branch, by ruling by fiat? Executive Order, that he has used, what , something like 600 plus times in less than 4 years? That scares me more than another "assault weapon ban".

FT

Stickman
17 October 2012, 16:40
Yes, T.S., I caught that right away the full auto thing. I've had something more disturbing, that I've never posted here because I was under the impression that any "political" statement would get me banned. However, more frighting that the re-introduction of the "assault weapon ban", was, and how many of you caught this; Obama has indicated that he wanted to join the U.N. In a U.N. Wide resolution, that ALL member countries align themselves with the "UN's" version of gun ownership world wide. I've read a couple of gun scribe types cover it briefely, and I think most people "poo-poo" this idea would never get through congress, that the Constitution, would prohibit it. Well, duh, how many times has Obama removed this pesky little document that he see's as more of an annoyance, and bypass the legislative branch, by ruling by fiat? Executive Order, that he has used, what , something like 600 plus times in less than 4 years? That scares me more than another "assault weapon ban".

FT

FT,

You certainly aren't going to get banned for talking about politics when it is firearm related. Typically its posted in the general weapon forum, but this one is good where it is as well. I think you are correct, and my concern is that a second term would allow him to fulfill his liberal ideals which would never have allowed him to be elected.

While I don't think we would be owned by the UN, I can certainly see him pulling us closer and adapting things from them.

Aragorn
17 October 2012, 17:00
Here's to hoping that comment will help keep him from being RE-elected.

Stickman
17 October 2012, 17:55
Here's to hoping that comment will help keep him from being RE-elected.

You know that his team had to sit down and weight their options with this one. Anything they can do to have people NOT talk about the economy is good for them. However, this one is going to polarize people as much or more than most other things. He should have said he was going to mandate birth control in the schools and pay for all abortions while he was at it, but maybe those were just things he didn't get a chance to talk about with his extra time.

It amazes me how fast people forget about his comment regarding us clinging to our guns and bibles. There is no doubt he looks down on those of us who fall into either category, never mind those of us who are in both.

TangoSauce
17 October 2012, 22:34
What really disappoints me is that so many people have lost the belief that gun ownership is a responsibility of the citizens to ensure the freedom of this country.

Gun
20 October 2012, 06:59
I know that I have, and I know that it is VERY clear that there is a strong desire to take weapons away from everyone.

They would if they could figure out how to replace the FET the govt. kitty enjoys from the manufacturing of firearms and ammunition.

Wasn't there a correlation between prohibition and personal income tax?

FortTom
25 January 2013, 15:53

I bet you're sure of it now? And all my rowdy freinds said I was "paranoid"......I'd laugh at this point, there is nothing to laugh about and everything to lose....

FT

Nuclear_Arms
25 January 2013, 17:05
It was that comment that drove me to go buy a new .308 lower. My friends thought I was being paranoid and did not heed my advice to go buy the things they had been eyeballing for well over a year. Some of them finally did just after the election, the rest are dealing with the consequences now (and saying they should have listened to me in October).

GOST
28 January 2013, 05:11
You know that his team had to sit down and weight their options with this one. Anything they can do to have people NOT talk about the economy is good for them. However, this one is going to polarize people as much or more than most other things. He should have said he was going to mandate birth control in the schools and pay for all abortions while he was at it, but maybe those were just things he didn't get a chance to talk about with his extra time.

It amazes me how fast people forget about his comment regarding us clinging to our guns and bibles. There is no doubt he looks down on those of us who fall into either category, never mind those of us who are in both.

I remember when the clinging to guns and bibles quote came out; pretty despicable quote considering that those are two things that our country was founded on. I personally cling to the latter first. I have been working on a Noveske build for over the last year and it is almost complete; I've always wanted one but couldn't pay that much straight up so I spaced it out. Now the liberals consider people like us dangerous and selfish for wanting our rights preserved. I am a Christian, loyal husband, father of two, veteran, have a government clearance and have never been arrested. Now they are trying to open the door to confiscation, and if they complish that they will then take "In God We Trust" off our currency. I personally am a big fan of the Benjamin Franklin quote, "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Even though the Liberals wish to persecute us for our morals I still love them and will pray for them.

LanceCriminal
28 January 2013, 12:12
I'm starting to find that I just need to run a grassroots campaign amongst my friends and acquaintances, showing them the place that AR's and other practical rifles have in our society. I was able to bump a friend, New Yorker, and 2x Obama voter off the fence and into the AW friendly side by showing him the direct advantages my M4gery have over my shotgun, mainly the ability to more quickly reload and address stoppages if needed. Previously he was pro-gun, but was on the fence about why people needed "Assault Weapons". That, and I cut him loose with a couple mags from my M1A, leaving him solidly in "I need this in my life" territory.

I also like to point out to folks who copy/paste the TV bobblehead's lines like "AWs are only made to kill as many people as possible in a short amount of time" that the Police have very broadly deployed and in some cases replaced their shotguns in patrol cars with AR-15 variants. Where does "killing as many people as possible" fit in with the Police's mission? Or why can't people carry "less lethal" options like the X26 tasers? The people who tell you that using deadly force in self defense is wrong and shouldn't be up to one person will also tell you that you can't have something that is only lethal in extremely rare circumstances because it could be used for nefarious purposes. Just like any household object.

That, and I remind them that nobody likes a fair fight. If you want to make sure the advantage is on your side in most of the conceivable situations that could occur in your home, I think an AR with a 30 round mag of good ammo and a flashlight on the handguards pretty well gives you the advantage; unless they are have supporting fire from a belt-fed MG, are using grenades or RPGs, are driving an armored vehicle, or just decide to drop a Hellfire in your front window. Fighting fair means losing, and I'm a sore loser.