PDA

View Full Version : Colt Again Blocks Army's Advanced M4 Plan

Stickman
19 October 2012, 10:18
Colt Again Blocks Army's Advanced M4 Plan

Colt has filed yet again, but this time it doesn't look like they are willing to state why. This means delays, and the potential for Colt to close its doors if it doesn't get its way according to some in the industry.

Mat Cox did a great job with this article, it is worth a read.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2012/10/18/colt-again-blocks-armys-advanced-m4-plans.html?comp=1198882887570&rank=2

The article points out the obvious, which is that Colt may be closing its doors if it doesn't get its way. With limited support for the civilian market with AR15s over the past 40 years, Colt has picked the ball up recently and started courting the commercial side of weapon sales. Is it too little too late?

Paulo_Santos
19 October 2012, 12:44
Colt has a lot of catching up to other companies if they want to be successful in the commercial market. I'm refering to the different configurations and even calibers. Their new interchangeable lower (whatever it is called), is a good start.

M. Gale
25 October 2012, 13:25
Colt Again Blocks Army's Advanced M4 Plan

Colt has filed yet again, but this time it doesn't look like they are willing to state why. This means delays, and the potential for Colt to close its doors if it doesn't get its way according to some in the industry.

Mat Cox did a great job with this article, it is worth a read.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2012/10/18/colt-again-blocks-armys-advanced-m4-plans.html?comp=1198882887570&rank=2

The article points out the obvious, which is that Colt may be closing its doors if it doesn't get its way. With limited support for the civilian market with AR15s over the past 40 years, Colt has picked the ball up recently and started courting the commercial side of weapon sales. Is it too little too late?

The article points out no such thing. How much weight do you give a comment from an unnamed source who may very well work for Chinese injection molding company knocking off Magpul parts? As you have already vouched for the reporter, are you also willing to vouch for his source? The loss of the contract would hurt any company. Colt is doing what ANY other company would do to protect its interests. The negative, almost salacious tone of the article is suspect. I guess when you (Cox) don't have anything legitimate to write about, ginning up controversy becomes an acceptable practice.

rob_s
26 October 2012, 02:12
The article points out no such thing. How much weight do you give a comment from an unnamed source who may very well work for Chinese injection molding company knocking off Magpul parts? As you have already vouched for the reporter, are you also willing to vouch for his source? The loss of the contract would hurt any company. Colt is doing what ANY other company would do to protect its interests. The negative, almost salacious tone of the article is suspect. I guess when you (Cox) don't have anything legitimate to write about, ginning up controversy becomes an acceptable practice.

I'm inclined to agree. I commented on the article when it was posted on facebook. most of the posters there apparently didn't get past the title of the article, which is unsurprising.

Deckard
29 October 2012, 15:14
http://www.vikingtactics.com/images/media/article_pdfs/M4-M4A1_Reliability_Issues.pdf

I see Colt getting a lot of hate today, but this article explains why it's not the rifle's fault.

aklaunch
19 November 2012, 09:50
It is quite frankly the other way around. Colt could have made them a much better rifle at anytime during the last 20 years, but have been held back due to standardization and the ancient and outdated MILSPEC from the 1960's.

The government has been trying to replace the M16 for longer than i have been alive. This topic gets convoluted and complex due to the difficult logistics in change, and most of all finance.

The 101st can push and pull all they want at this time because there boys are in the Stan right now. In 7 months or so they will be returning home and a new division will be on its way and they will loose a lot of financing to the new division. Then another news article will come out.