PDA

View Full Version : Another Ban? What to buy?

KevinBLC
20 October 2012, 13:52
I'm a casual shooter, but looking to get a bit more serious with my gear. I'm concerned about the possibility of a ban on the horizon. Right now I'm shooting a Colt 6920, but would like to plan for the future as I would like to have my kids enjoy shooting an AR. Should I look at buying another rifle, or should I just buy a few lowers to put away? I also keep hearing about future restrictions on ammunition. Perhaps I should stock up on that instead? Everything appears to be pretty scarce. I'm on a budget, so I'd like to get the best bang for my buck. I don't want to be left without like the last ban, nor do I want some neutered rifle.

Thanks for your input.

Gun
20 October 2012, 14:26
Mags and ammo, and a few lowers.

John Hwang
20 October 2012, 14:32
I don't know if there's a right answer but I can tell you where the shortage is right now. It seems like a lot of products are coming in stock as companies have done a nice job ramping up production.

The main shortage now are Bolt carrier groups and misc small parts.

Eric
20 October 2012, 16:13
Anything at this point is pure speculation. There is a lot of assumption that any future ban would mimic the 1994 ban, but there's no way to know. Magazines are fairly inexpensive right now and plentiful. Ammo is expensive, but probably won't be getting any cheaper. In the 1994 ban, to be exempt, the weapon had to have been assembled prior to the ban taking affect, not just a stripped lower.

KevinBLC
20 October 2012, 17:27
So how would anyone know if it was assembled prior to the ban?

Stickman
20 October 2012, 20:25
So how would anyone know if it was assembled prior to the ban?

Good questions, and while there is no proof another ban would look the same as the old one, we did learn a few things. First and foremost, whatever you have before the ban is going to be safe. Door to door raids aren't going to happen, and each time weapon bans have been placed, the existing items are grandfathered in.

With that in mind, owning the serial numbered piece of the weapon is what is going to count. All of the manufacturers are going to have numbers showing what was made before the ban, as opposed to what was created afterwards. For AR15s, that means buying the lower receiver. For other weapons such as the FN FAL or ACR, the upper receiver is serial numbered, and that is what will count.

markm
22 October 2012, 08:55
You NEED at least 100 spare Bolt Carrier Groups.

chazthebiker
22 October 2012, 10:34
I don't know if there's a right answer but I can tell you where the shortage is right now. It seems like a lot of products are coming in stock as companies have done a nice job ramping up production.

The main shortage now are Bolt carrier groups and misc small parts.

I sure have noticed the bolt shortage and find that to be very interesting!

I am religiously purchasing spare parts each month a little at a time for what I already have, and planning for future rifle purchases once I have everything I think I need put away for what I already have. Been doing this for 2 years and you would be suprised how much you can accumulate. My spare parts inventory is in case everything gets banned and so that my heirs can use what I have for years to come.

That Colt rifle the OP talks about is a great rifle and very reasonable. I have actually thought of buying those (2 per year) and the Walmart 40 miles from me sells them for under $1,100. On the other hand, I love Rainier Arms and will try and make a Noveske Basic purchase there twice a year coming in 2013 instead. Rainier has always been great for me as a supplier and I cannot recommend them more to the OP.

So, on a strict budget (rifle wise) I would be happy with what you have plus a good 22LR. Then I would set a goal for ammo and spare parts and work that into my budget just like retirement savings. A little each month adds up quicker than you think. You could also budget in for additional savings towards an added AR-15 too.

Gun
22 October 2012, 15:12
You NEED at least 100 spare Bolt Carrier Groups.

NO, not needed. A hundred spare sets of gas rings would make better sense.[BD]

UWone77
22 October 2012, 21:17
I never understood people hoading BCG's. I've replaced bolts, but never the carrier.

browcs
22 October 2012, 22:03
I purchased a complete (less stock) BCM lower last weekend; not due to any pending ban, but because it was finally in stock via on-line store I purchased it from.

markm
23 October 2012, 12:10
I never understood people hoading BCG's. I've replaced bolts, but never the carrier.

Complete insanity. I don't even keep a spare bolt around. The only time I think to get one is when the tards are panicking... then I can't buy because it's the top of the market.

rob_s
23 October 2012, 16:42
, we did learn a few things.

So did the banners.

mlosi762
23 October 2012, 17:05
NO, not needed. A hundred spare sets of gas rings would make better sense.[BD]

Pretty sure markm was just being sarcastic. Don't think anyone here would think that 100 BCGs would be necessary. A barrel would need to be replaced sooner than multiple BCGs needed to be swapped out

FortTom
23 October 2012, 17:54
Complete insanity. I don't even keep a spare bolt around. The only time I think to get one is when the tards are panicking... then I can't buy because it's the top of the market.
Given the current POTUS's self professed promise is to try to bond with the U.N., and have a 'globalised" ban, that all members of the U.N., would be subject to the laws of the U.N., I'd be hesitant to go as far as call concerned people "tards". Given that this POTUS has proven that he can rule by fiat, and proving the Constitution, as nothing more than a pesky old musty document, given that he has over 600 executive decisions under his belt, I'd be a little slow to refer to those concerned by this man, to put any conditions on a ban, I'd be hesitant to call concerned people "tards".

To the OP, if I were panicked enough, I'd quit screwing around trying to decide what to buy, and just go out and buy a quality product that meets your needs, and as many magazines as you can afford. If said POTUS, miracuosly changes his mind, and awards all assault weapon owners a certificate of "excellence of citizenship" award, you can always wait and buy more when those certificates are awarded, and the prices drop through the basement.

FT

John Hwang
24 October 2012, 17:36
I don't think people are hording BCGs. There are 3 or so main Bolt & BCG manufacturers in the country that most of us get parts. One company had some machine failure when added to increased demand, made BCGs very scarce. Then rifle MFGs are using what little BCGs that are released for complete uppers and rifles so spare BCGs were hard to come by.

tenchi
28 October 2012, 14:22
is there a list of the 3 main bolt manufacturers? Curious as to where my PSA m-16 bolt is made.

TangoFoxtrot
5 November 2012, 03:16
I'd buy Mags, ammo and spare parts...just in case.

Stickman
7 November 2012, 08:57
It will be an interesting next four years...

UWone77
7 November 2012, 10:14
Apparently the BCG hoarding is real. Joe Bob (joeboboutfitters.com) had 400 generic BCG's on their website yesterday. Less than 20 hours later, they're all gone, and this is
not one of the "big" AR stores. What people do with all the BCG's who knows... but like Stick says... it'll be an interesting 4 years.

2ATA
8 November 2012, 07:37
I know that I spent the last year buying the 100 pack of GI mags at least once a month.

3 AE
8 November 2012, 16:01
I know that I spent the last year buying the 100 pack of GI mags at least once a month.

You mean you bought up 1200 GI mags? Dude, that's one focused purchase for sure!

SFW
8 November 2012, 16:36
Mags and ammo.

2ATA
9 November 2012, 06:09
You mean you bought up 1200 GI mags? Dude, that's one focused purchase for sure!

Yes i did. I shot and trained through the last ban and I'm making darn sure I'm prepped for another. Even if I don't use them all, 20 or 30 years down the road in a ban that is a great addition to a retirement portfolio.

UWone77
9 November 2012, 07:16
I don't see a problem with 1200 mags, that just means you have basically a lifetime supply! Mags are a disposable item, nothing wrong with having too many!

TangoFoxtrot
12 November 2012, 03:32
Or I we jumping too far ahead assuming there is going to be any ban at all.

nobodyspecial
12 November 2012, 05:34
You can think that to make yourself feel better. Sooner or later, they will try to take our guns. They want complete disarmament, so people will be completely dependent on the government for everything.

Stickman
12 November 2012, 22:37
Or I we jumping too far ahead assuming there is going to be any ban at all.

As soon as Obama declared he was the winner, Feinstein released paperwork on a new ban which would NOT grandfather weapons. Check it out, it is appalling.

Dirknar
13 November 2012, 09:39
As soon as Obama declared he was the winner, Feinstein released paperwork on a new ban which would NOT grandfather weapons. Check it out, it is appalling.

Damn.. I try not to get to caught up into the weapon scares but damn.. This, coming from You has made me rethink.

If there is to be no grandfathering of previous weapons, then the only option for the government, is to confiscate, door to door..??

Aragorn
13 November 2012, 12:04
That would require a 2/3 vote in the senate though right? That, even with things how they are now, would not be easy for them to do as the Dems barely control half of the senate.

UWone77
13 November 2012, 14:36
I doubt they'd go door to door, but unless you have 100 acres in the middle of nowhere, it's going to be difficult to shoot your "illegal" guns without getting seen or caught by someone.

gatordev
13 November 2012, 16:52
While I don't feel the sky is quite falling yet, I understand the concern. What I haven't been able to ascertain is how this affects NFA items (or how it affected it in the past). Yes, it's expensive, but what if you converted your lowers to NFA items (if in a NFA friendly state)? I'm not trying to solve the problem here, I just generally don't know the answer to the question.

KevinBLC
18 November 2012, 16:44
So it's been almost a few weeks since the election. Anyone notice any changes with fenzied buying? What's everyone stocking up on now?

KevinBLC
21 November 2012, 09:32
I noticed 556 ammo was $50 a case more on average my last gun show. Everyone seems to be out of stuff. Is there a prepper discussion?

kendak
25 November 2012, 05:33
ammo & mags...they will be regulated to death...a weapon is nothing but a piece of wood/plastic & steel without ammo ....BTW the sky fell Nov. 6

StainTrain
25 November 2012, 19:45
A membership to the NRA would be a great purchase. Magazines and ammo are good too.

Guntrician
28 November 2012, 18:43
Interesting times ahead likely. During the last AWB I was bummed because there were many things I had not got that I really wanted. Then the Sunset came. For that alone Bush was my Hero. No more $110 Glock 21 mags. No more senseless pinned brakes and all the other dumb things. Since the Sunset, I've treated this time as a temporary reprieve that could end any day. Not panic buying but always adding. I mean, we still have idiots driving the bus.

So far I'm not seeing panic buying like in 08 but what little 5.56 the stores around here get has a 4 box limit again. To the OP, first I'd get some ammo so you can use the firearms you have. Some mags. Some lowers at a minimum. Anything likely to be restricted. Maybe some 6" PVC pipe. LOL!

One thing in our favor this time around that the old bat Fienstein(sp) hasn't factored in, is the growth in popularity of the AR compared to the last time. It's much more of a mainstream firearm then before. If the lefts wildest dreams came true, there would be some unstable times ahead to put it nicely. Hopefully they learned the first time. But as I said, idiots driving the bus. Over 1/2 the country has proven they are mentally incompetent as well. Although they would have had a hard time finding a lamer duck to run against Obama.

Northerner
7 December 2012, 05:27
A membership to the NRA would be a great purchase. Magazines and ammo are good too.

Im with StainTrain, if everyone would join the NRA (http://membership.nrahq.org/) that would be a HUGE help!

as for me, i am almost done buying parts for my first build but im also stocking up on ammo supplies to reload (3000 brass & bullets so far) going to go for magazines next. on a limited budget so cant go at it like i want to!

http://home.nra.org/images/NRA.org_CLASSIC_JOIN_180x160.jpg
join the NRA (http://membership.nrahq.org/)

chazthebiker
7 December 2012, 21:16
Then there is this (Sorry about the ad at beginning.):

http://video.foxnews.com/v/2005266599001/president-to-bypass-congress-on-semiautomatic-weapons-ban/

P39
9 December 2012, 04:08
This is no surprise to me......disgusting, but not surprising.

Hmac
10 December 2012, 08:36
While I don't feel the sky is quite falling yet, I understand the concern. What I haven't been able to ascertain is how this affects NFA items (or how it affected it in the past). Yes, it's expensive, but what if you converted your lowers to NFA items (if in a NFA friendly state)? I'm not trying to solve the problem here, I just generally don't know the answer to the question.

I've actually been doing that. Just registered another lower. I marked it 11.5 inches but will probably put a 16 inch barrel on it. I also had the SO print up some extra fingerprint cards and plan on registering the lower on one of my other 16 inch ARs as 11.5 inch SBR. History doesn't predict the future, but in the past NFA items have been outside of the AWB. Little downside, it seems to me, other than the $200.

chazthebiker
18 December 2012, 07:37
Then we have this nice line:

According to a ShootingWire.com article, Feinstein's rumored "assault weapons" bill "would ban pistol grips and 'high‑capacity' magazines, eliminate any grandfathering, and would ban sales of 'weapons in possession.'"

http://www.shootingwire.com/features/226725

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/politics/july-dec12/feinstein_12-17.html

Northerner
18 December 2012, 09:09
i dont know WTF happened but i went to edit my post and after i finished my post was instantly removed!
it was post #38 and now its just gone? why did it do that??

below is a picture of what i posted

http://i47.tinypic.com/344blaf.jpg

BR101
20 December 2012, 12:16
All the shops around here are pretty much tapped out. I have been buying guns from a shop here in town for almost 12 years now and he sold out of all his new and used AR's this past weekend. He had about a dozen 1000 cans of .223 and those sold out this past Saturday in just hours. And some of the big stores are just taking semi-auto AR's off the shell for sale.

UWone77
20 December 2012, 17:46
I've said this before and I'll say it again, if you're just starting to prepare for a possible ban, you're way behind the power curve. We saw this in 2008, after the election so there is no excuse not to have been prepared. As someone who lived through the previous ban and got tired of crappy $100 Glock mags, I wasn't going to be caught unprepared again.

Northerner
20 December 2012, 18:51
im very happy and also very bummed out. one week ago tomorrow (friday) i ordered 10 pmags from Brownells for $100 and here today i see mags sold out EVERYWHERE and plenty selling for $60 - $100 each

im so glad i bought what i did and if i wasnt on a huge limited budget i would have bought a LOT more. better then investing in gold but still a bunch of shit as the ban isnt even here yet. :-(

chazthebiker
20 December 2012, 23:01
Well, I got rid of all my high capacity magazines this past weekend. I could not, in good conscience, sell them off. I just threw them all (polymer pmags) into the burn barrel. I only had three left anyway. I am thinking of donating my guns to the local police dept. Back in September I went to the range several times and shot all the ammo I had. Can't afford anymore. Sold all my spent brass to the recycling center and took the wife out for a nice steak dinner. We had a great time, and you know, that was the best steak I ever ate. I guess I could crush the receivers and rails and sell them to the recycler too. I'll probably drop the barrels into the lake. With all the possible restrictions coming up, the hobby just doesn't make sense anymore. I'd sure hate for anything I had to fall into the wrong hands and cause me any liability. Oh well, it's back to stamp collecting and needle point I guess.

tac40
24 December 2012, 10:00
Think of yourself as a weekend gunsmith and go from there. Small parts for your rifle/pistol platform, springs, pins and replacement parts. Magazine components and having spare barrels won't hurt. Consider group buy in with ammo and learn to reload.

GriffonSec
25 December 2012, 07:42
tac~ Good call. That's the only thing I'm looking for right now, small parts for inventory....